Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkasmer Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Problems with Craftsman Lawn Mower
    I have a briggs and stratton engine push lawn mower by Craftsman at 4.75 horespower 22" side discharge. Its emitting white smoke when I start it. I have the wrong kind of oil in it (10w-40) and oil has been leaking into the air filter. I took the air filter out and cleaned it in water like the owner manual says and sprayed down the lawnmower. I'm unable to drain the oil because the mower is full of gas. Will buying a new air filter alleviate my problems?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 09:01 PM

Hi,
    Bad as it sounds, check your oil to make sure it is full and run the gas out of it. Change oil to 30W SJ or better. You can do that by taking out dipstick and tipping mower to that side with something to catch the oil in. Engine hold 20oz. But it will only take about 16 to refill; not all comes out.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 31, 2009, 09:08 PM
    I think the problem may be that I have too much oil in it. To get the gas out of it I have to run it until it runs out so, is it okay to run it with the smoke coming out?

Aug 1, 2009, 06:03 AM

Hi,
    Sounds that way (too much oil) to me, also. The EPA would not like it; got a container to tip it and empty fuel tank instead? That would be the safest solution; way too much oil can actually cause a lubrication problem. Best would be to change oil and follow the 16 oz. approxiamation "rule" when refilling with 30W.
    Peae,
    Clarke

Aug 1, 2009, 05:52 PM
    I boughty a siphon from Sears to get the gas out then I'm going to drain the oil. What is the 16 oz. approximation rule?

I boughty a siphon from Sears to get the gas out then I'm going to drain the oil. What is the 16 oz. approximation rule?

Aug 3, 2009, 09:47 AM

Hi,
    The engine's capacity is 20 oz. Whether you drain it from a plug in the sump or the dipstick tube, there will be approxiamately 4 oz. remaining in the engine. That means it takes about 16 oz. to fill.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

My brother gave me his old lawn mower, and whenever I ask him a question about it, his response is "Figure it out Blondie". Im not a dumb blonde and Ive figured out most of the controls, excep two. One is a screw knob on the left hand side of the sterring wheel, and the other is a long metal stick...

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Craftsman Lawn mower will NOT start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman, Model # 917270821; 19.5 HP B&S; turbo Colled; Auto-42' cut. The mower was running and mowing great. I turned it off to add gas and now it will not start. The engine will turn over, but there is no "fire" from the plugs. Need help getting it started. Thank you Paula

Lawn mower - Craftsman 6.0 [ 3 Answers ]

My push lawn mower had been running fine until this week. I pull the cord and the lawn mower starts for a second or two and then shuts off. I changed the gas, oil, and airfilter. Not sure what else to do. Looking for any trouble shooting pointers.

Craftsman lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

My father has purchased an old lawn mower for restoration. The model # is 1318430. He thinks it is a Craftsman. Anyone know where to find a picture or details.

View more questions Search