Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgs878 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Mercury 50hp 2-stroke outboard is overheating
    I have a 2000 Mercury 50horsepower 2-stroke outboard engine. I have replaced the thermostat and water pump. The engine quickly overheats. Some water does come out the outlet tube, but not as much as used to when it was new. I need to know what else to check to diagnose this problem. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
    jimboyoung Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Cheez.
    Nobody answered your posted question about your overheating 50hp Merc.
    Did you figure it out?
    I have a similar problem... not as much volume of water on the output tube... overheating... I just disasembled the lower unit and the impeller looks OK.
    Hmm.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Jimmy Young
    [email protected]
    chipoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2012, 10:56 AM
    I had a similar problem. Your might want to try replacing the water pump housing, they sometimes get scored and don't seal the waterpump. And all of you gaskets in that area. There is also a rubber tube that sometimes get misaligned when reinstalling the lower unit. Check that lower unit isn't clogged with mud diver. Where the water pees out of the motor sometimes gets clogged. Remove the hose and run a piece of wire or mono through it to unclogg. These things should fix your problem. Has worked for me in the past

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you ddifferntiate between a Mercury 2-stroke and 4-stroke outboard 5 horse? [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a 5 horse mercury freshwater, outboard, transum hung engine. What Im not sure of is do I mix the gas with oil or not. Thanks

50hp ac motor [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me how many amps would I need out of a 480v transformer to startup a 50 hp AC motor?

1984 50hp outboard motor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble getting fuel to the cylinders. It started with a bad brain box, then the triggering coil went bad. Before they went bad it ran great. Now I have excellent fire to all plugs and excellent compression on each cylinder. Cleaned the carburetors they were spotless . Tried different...

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search