Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Very oily hair with a dry scalp.
    Hi guys.

I have extremely greasy/oily hair, I wash it in the morning and by the end of the day it is looking stringy and gross.

The other problem I have is a dry scalp and get dandruff badly if I don't use medicated shampoo every second day. (Tricho by DeLorenzo or T-Gel by Nutrogena)

Does anyone know any good home remedies or home made shampoos for oily hair?
    I can't find any products in stores that don't cost an arm and a leg!

It has gotten a lot worse since I had Implanon put in and my acne has come back with a vengeance :rolleyes:
    melsky Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2009, 10:00 PM

I have a very sensitive scalp and have tried almost EVERYTHING! The only thing I have found that works is Kerastase shampoo for sensitve scalps. I know its not the cheapest but it really does work and I think its well worth the money to be rid of some discomfort.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:55 PM

If you can bear having really greasy hair for a bit, it might actually be best for you to stop washing your hair everyday. Your body naturally produces oil. When you wash your hair, your body produces more oil to replace what you washed away. When you wash your hair everyday your body thinks it needs to keep producing more and more oil. I used to have the same problem as use. I waited until spring break and didn't wash my hair for a few days (I also barely went out after the first day and would put my hair up to try and hide the greasy look when I did lol). After that I was able to wash my hair every other day. And could even go up to every two days. I went from having really bad dandruff and greasy hair to no dandruff and way less greasiness.
    Also, I prefer tea tree shampoos and conditioners when my scalp is feeling a little itchy. If you can't find a cheap shampoo or conditioner, you can always get a bottle of tea tree oil and just add a drop every time you shampoo your hair.
    britEl Posts: 244, Reputation: 35

Aug 16, 2009, 11:55 PM

I have the same problem!
    Usually I just use Head and Shoulders or Selsun Blue (both work very well for me personally) and when using conditioner I don't put any of it on the top of my head or scalp just on my hair hanging down (if that makes any sense) best conditioner for me is pantene nature fusion it makes my hair very silky smooth and not oily, and I try not using a lot of it or it will become oily very fast. After I always blow dry my hair no matter what, it does leave it a little frizzy but not greasy looking for me and all I use is hairspray to fix that. Also the darker your hair is the more noticeable greasy, and flakes can be! Usually I wash my hair every second day.
    baotrami Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Well, first off, try not using shampoo for a week and see how that works out for you. Shampoo can dry your hair, thus causing your body to produce more natural oils to replace all the ones lost. Also, don't put conditioner on your roots. That can clog up the pores, if you will, just like acne. The more something it's clogged, the more oil you'll eventually get. And try using a tea shampoo/conditioner AFTER the first week of avoiding regular shampoo. When looking for dandruff treatments, avoid buying them if they contain selenium sulfide, tea lauryl sulfate sulfur, sodium dodecyl sulfonate, sodium laury sulfate, and sodium thiosulfate. Also avoid purchasing anything with ammonium, as these products will damage your hair.
    freefr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
    I am having the same problem I tried tea tree oil champoo it made my scalp even itchier. I am wondering if this could not lead to hair loss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get oily hair? Vaseline? [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone ever heard of people using vaseline (petroleum jelly?) for hair to make it look oily and shiny? Gel and mousse dry too fast. The oil-based hair products are so expensive for a little bottle. How does people get the oily hair look? I like the shiny and semi-wet look.

Scalp hair [ 1 Answers ]

Is dying hair too often damaging to your scalp or hair dye

Hair Scalp Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am 25 years old. I have started getting small pimple like spots on my head scalp. They are pus formed white-yellowish in color that causes itching. And if I scratch, they burst into blood. Please let me know the cause and treatment.

Oily Hair [ 2 Answers ]

I have Indian(Asian) hair. It is naturally straight. It gets oily very fast. Is there anything I can do about it besides washing more frequently? Thanks for any suggestions!

View more questions Search