Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sothpaw Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 06:36 AM
    97 Honda Acord Parking light doesn't work
    A deer hit us this past winter on the right side (he's just fine but not my car)
    The right front parking light decintegrated and so now I'm finally replacing it.
    Got a new housing and it came with bulbs too (woohoo :-)
    Got it all plugged in but they don't turn on. The left and rear parking lights all work
    The right headlights work fine
    All of my fuses are fine.
    The new lamps work fine if I plug them in on the left.
    The wires don't appear to have any problems. (but I don't know how to check those)
    Any ideas? Know of any websites for instructionals?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 08:09 AM

. Test all under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Test socket for power, using a test light or multi-meter. Corrosion may have developed, since the accident. Remove corrosion and apply dielectric grease.

. Check/replace combination light switch:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post478514

Jul 30, 2009, 08:14 AM

I did test all the fuses
    The socket doesn't have power.
    And what is a combination light switch? I googled it but it seems to be the entire mechanism at the steering column.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 08:31 AM

Yes, the combination light switch is at the column and controls headlights (high/low) and parking lights. You may want to carefully try taking it apart and looking for any sign of problems. Sometimes, grease from your fingers causes problems with the contacts. Try cleaning with WD-40. Check all under hood fuses, just to cover the easy bases, since power to the under dash fuses box comes from the under hood fuse box.

If none of that bears fruit, check the wiring and connector for continuity--there may be an "open" somewhere in the circuit.

Jul 30, 2009, 08:43 AM

Going to carefully pull apart the combination switch, find which wire is for the right parking light and find if there is continuity.
    I'll let you know what I find out.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 08:46 AM
    o.k.

Jul 30, 2009, 09:30 AM

Continuity was messed up.
    Found that in the right wheel well two wires were hanging loose and one was cut and one frayed mostly through.
    I stripped them down and reconnected them and low and behold, the lights work now.
    Now to put the thing back together and get it through inspection.
    Thanks a ton. I knew I could do it without the 100$ minimum dealership charge.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 10:11 AM

Good job. Solder and then use heat-shrink tubing on the splices.

Jul 30, 2009, 10:47 AM

I most definitely will, when I get the time... for now it's good enough to get through inspection... I can schedule time for the final repairs now that I know where the problem is. Electrical tape will work for a few weeks.
    And thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dashboard, taillight and parking light/night light [ 2 Answers ]

Honda Accord 94: My dashboard, taillight and parking light/night light are not coming on. I have changed the fuse what else could be wrong. Note that the headlight which is controlled by the same switch comes on.

99 Honda accord no parking lights or dashboard background light + SRS Light on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I believe a problematic bulb caused a short in my car's Electrical system. The reason I say this, is that the following Problems have come up since I used the trailer... 1. SRS light is now on 2. The light that illuminates the spedometer, RPM's, and gas (background light) doesn't...

Wiring a parking lot light to breaker box with a timer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi every one could use help I have a parking lot light and timer box I need to wire up to breaker box any help would be aprreiated

Honda civic 91 accelerator didn't work at light, now won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just like everyone, there seems to be a problem with my Honda. It had problems starting and wouldn't always start, I would have to pop the clutch, sometimes it would idle low and then sometimes too high... I decided to finally do something about it and changed the spark plugs. That day it...

View more questions Search