Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bahnzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2004, 11:29 AM
    Unable to login... winxp
    We are unable to login to any accounts on a Winxp Home machine. All accounts, (even the admin account when booting in safe mode) get to the welcome screen, and then it will say "Saving Settings" and then kick you back out to the login screen again.

Doing some searching, I've found this problem, and how to fix it, but it involves logging in as an administrator. Like I said, even admin gets kicked out in this fashion.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Sep 26, 2004, 09:14 AM
    Re: Unable to login... winxp
    Hi bahnzo,

4551 » You cannot logon to Windows XP Home Edition using the Administrator account?

When you try to logon to Windows XP Home Edition using the Administrator account, you receive:

Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction.

This is expected behavior.

Windows XP Home Edition only allows the Administrator account to logon in Safe mode.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    Jwoolley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2005, 09:41 PM
    How did you fix this?
    Quote Originally Posted by bahnzo
    We are unable to login to any accounts on a Winxp Home machine. All accounts, (even the admin account when booting in safe mode) get to the welcome screen, and then it will say "Saving Settings" and then kick you back out to the login screen again.

Doing some searching, I've found this problem, and how to fix it, but it involves logging in as an administrator. Like I said, even admin gets kicked out in this fashion.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Bahnzo:

I have the exact thing happening to me. It started after I ran Avast! 4 AV software to remove a nasty worm. Did you ever find a fix for this??

Please let me know.

Jw
    mr.turk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Admin Login Refused.
    I have the prescise same problem with the admin account. When I try to log in it starts to but then immediately logs back out. Over and over... I get no error message at all, it just reverts back to the log in screen.

I have the added problem of my keyboard freezing when the XP welcome screen appears where one logs in, this is why it is essential I log into my admin account which is not password protected so I can install a keyboard driver.

PLEASe help me because I have a lot of important work in the account.

Thanks in advance.
    Jwoolley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2005, 09:34 PM
    Couldn't Fix It - Copied Info off HD and reformatted
    I tried everything I could to fix the problem even had my IT guy at work check it out. We could not get a fix made, even after loading a new XP on top of the current.

I ended up removing the HD and putting in a friend's external HD box (USB connected to another computer) and copied all needed files to CDs. Then I put the HD back and reformatted the disc with my factory Windows XP CD.

Now everything is up and running. I had to reinstall a ton of applications, but I did not loose any important docs.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. Good Luck! :confused:
    mr.turk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2005, 10:30 AM
    Right
    When you say even installing a new windows over the top, let me check you mean... do you mean removing windows and then reinstalling, repairing windows and such like? All with the xp cd? I am not very well educated in IT but I need my PC for work so I have obtained new info form here, http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...pair/index.htm

(info shown over a few pages) and I an going to try it, seeing as it says :

"as you have repaired windows, there should be no drivers installed" and "your files should be safe" I guess it's a good option, but seeing as you know a bit more than me - (alot) maybe you could give me a hand on whether it's a wise choice, thanks.

- ps, the bit about no drivers being installed after repair - I guess that means drivers are not required for keyboards because they work when they are just plugged in... or at least they should... so does that mean when the keyboard does not respond at my welcome screen it is something other than the drivers not being installed?

mr.turk
    mateo_salta Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2005, 10:56 AM
    Your in trouble, windows automatically hides the original admin account when you set up new user accounts. The theory is that you first use the admin to set up other users. And if something stops you from logging in to all but the admin you can't even log into that because it is hidden.
    mateo_salta Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2005, 10:59 AM
    To "unhide" your original admid account download the Microsoft power toy "Tweak UI" and it should be one of the options when you run it.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 10, 2005, 09:01 PM
    I would reinstall windows using the original install CD and NOT the restoration CD and then choose the option to "repair a previous windows installation". Your data will not be lost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP login failure/ boot freeze [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the Microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running: "Log...

Email (via https) Login Problem [ 3 Answers ]

Unable to login in to either Yahoo or Gmail email accounts. Also, same problem when attempting to login to any "https" site. Have disabled my firewall program (ZoneAlarm) as well as many other things (overrode cookie restrictions in both my browser and firewall settings, e.g.). My first suspicion,...

Get the Client login name? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I need to get the Client system login name to display in each client pages.. I have tried following code it display nothing.. :( You are <%=Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")%> Please anybody suggest right idea to solve this problem.. jena.

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login... pls help... thks!

Login Script needed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am searching for a way to send a Pop message to our customer when they log in to our server.. and these customers will be the pre paid card customers to our ISP and the pop message should be the remaining hour in their CArds. Thans for your help.

View more questions Search