Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Jul 30, 2009, 12:29 AM
    Is it rude to.
    Is it rude to not say, "you're welcome" or "not a problem" when someone thanks you for something? I told someone that their help in something means a lot to me and they didn't say these words. By the way, I thanked them in writing, and instead the person tol me something to the effect of "have sweet dreams" since at the end I mentioned that I was going to bed.

I
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 12:42 AM

Personally, I don't think it is, unless of course it's a situation where for example you open a door for a stranger, he says "thanks", and you say "your welcome". It's the polite thing to do- you don't want to seem like your irritated for helping the person, like they just ruined 2 min of your life.

However, when it's a friend I don't really expect a "no problem"-- because well your just friends!

If you were on some sort of messenger chat then maybe he didn't receive that message [happens to me a lot]- or if he did, your message either came late, or just right before you said that your were off to bed.

Either way, I wouldn't have a cow over it.

So my verdict is: it's the polite thing to do.

Sarah

Jul 30, 2009, 01:15 AM
    Well, I wrote the person back and said, "You're welcome! Not a problem- it is my pleasure to assist. lol ".
    ". Is THAT rude.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:19 AM

No. That's not being rude, it's being polite.

You didn't need to add the "lol" though-- it reads funny.

Sarah

Jul 30, 2009, 01:24 AM
    I don't know - I thought it may read as if I'm being too demanding by correcting them. But at the same time it bothered me to express gratitude and be ignored
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:27 AM

Wait...

I get it now.

Sorry.

Gosh darn I am being slow today.

Well it depends, who did you say it to? Is it a close friend or a close relative-- if it was I don't think they would have taken it offensively.

Then again, friends and family deserve respect too, so it was impolite to do so.

Sarah
    Ralphie4you Posts: 25, Reputation: -2

Jul 30, 2009, 01:37 AM

Its not rude but its not being polite. Being rude is insulting someone or using profanity against them. Its also rude to ignore someone or disrespect someone. Thank you, please, excuse me, your welcome are just polite words

Jul 30, 2009, 06:47 AM

Well I guess then maybe not "rude" per se, but no manners.

I mean, if I thank someone in writing for something and they don't say "you're welcome", or if I compliment someone on their dress etc, and they don't say "thank you", I think it comes across as arrogant.

Maybe I need to work on something, but it makes me feel as if I shouldn't have said anything or given any compliment. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 30, 2009, 06:54 AM
    If someone helps you and you thank them proper etiquette demands that they respond to your thanks. However, not everyone follows proper etiquette and they may not feel the need to even be thanked. I, personally, prefer the acknowledgment. I was forced to take poise and grace classes for several years while attending private school and that is one thing that stuck like sh!t on a brick. Not everyone is taught along these same guidelines today though. Still, if it was an instance with a friend, and they didn't say you're welcome, you correcting them was about as rude as their not saying you're welcome. I doubt it bothered them either way, they probably laughed at your wanting them to acknowledge the thanks. Don't bother being offended, they weren't trying to offend. It's a bit different.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dincher View Post
    Well, I wrote the person back and said, "You're welcome! Not a problem- it is my pleasure to assist. lol ".
    ". Is THAT rude.
    Sarcasm is rude and you were being sarcastic.I have done the same thing when I do not get a thank-you.
    I say *your welcome*. Its rude in a way but it it is better than saying *you could say thank-you*.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 10:22 AM

Leave it alone, its not worth tripping over someone else's manners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why did he have to be so rude? [ 14 Answers ]

Why did my ex have to be such a jerk? I sent him an email this morning... people told me not to do it, but I am weak I guess... told him I was working on being less passive-aggressive, could he send me my stuff from the house, wished things could have worked out but if he has moved on nothing...

Who do I tell to get out, without seeming rude? [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to try my best to make this a short as possible. but it is still really long, so sorry about that. Okay, well to start I don't have a big house. me and my husband have a very small 3 bedroom house. and not even big bedrooms. And as of right now it is over packed. My...

NC or rude [ 28 Answers ]

Hey.. the short story.. ex broke it off about 8 months ago, I tried like a fool to get back, she kept saying don't know, etc, then finally about month ago after some casual get togethers she said sshe didn't think it could work between us and she starting to see other people. That was enough for...

Is it rude, or is it just me? [ 21 Answers ]

A friend was visiting from out of town. One of her friends decided we should meet to drinks and wings at a local establishment. I was given the time of 8:00 pm. When I showed up at eight. There were 5 people there finishing their dinner. I asked if I had the time wrong? Apparently they...

How rude! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so the girl I have been "hanging out with" has been obviously avoiding me for the past 3 weeks... cool. She has been saying "I have just been really busy, sorry"... no biggie. I go to a show tonight and have to stop in a bar to use the ATM and who do I see there?. HER. I was kind of shocked in...

View more questions Search