Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ranganatha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 12:26 AM
    How the ground speed is calculated in GPS
    How the GPS calculates ground speed. How it is different from ground speed calculated by DME. Whether these two are same are there is a difference between two.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jul 31, 2009, 12:17 PM

DME is transponder based, measuring distance from a fixed location. GPS measures rate of change in location based on a coordinate sysytem.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 07:08 AM

To add, Gps is more accurate due to slant angle, Gps is determined by points over ground, and DME is determined by its points over ground and the altitude difference to the station. DME could be considered more accurate as it relates more to your Flightpath.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air speed versus ground speed [ 8 Answers ]

What is ground speed versus air speed and why is the difference important? Howdo you compute one if you have the other?

Calculated answers do not appear [ 2 Answers ]

Column A has time series data from A20 to A1850 Column B has a formula calculating the smoothed percentage change in the Col A data. The formula is entered in B1400, copied, and pasted from B1401 to end. The calculated answers appear from B1400 to B1602 but not from B1603 to end. The formulas...

Out of the blue or calculated? [ 8 Answers ]

BACKGROUND INFORMATION: I was with a guy for 7 months (off and on). He was 30 and I was 21 ( I am currently 22). At the end of the relationship I knew he used me, played games with me, and I am sure other things I am not certain of. I took care of him and treated him like a king. I spent A...

View more questions Search