Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcrampsey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Backing up WIN ME
    Hello,
    I have obtained a HP PC that has a licensed version of Win ME on it. I am having some problems with it and would prefer ideally to reformat and re-install ME. However, I do not have a recovery disk or original ME installation disk. Is there a way to create backup of ME so that I can re-install?

Thanks... Brendan
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2006, 08:47 AM
    HP machines usually have a system partition that has the equivalent of restore disks on it. When you power up the machine, you will see a message to press something (F10 or F11?) to enter the Recovery. From there you can usually create Recovery disks or return the system to factory settings.
    bcrampsey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Scott,
    Thanks a lot for the prompt response... I will check this oiut when I get home...
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 20, 2006, 09:03 AM
    You could probably order a recovery disk from HP or you could just buy a copy of Windows ME or XP and install it.
    jay c Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrampsey
    I have obtained a HP pc that has a licensed version of Win ME on it. I am having some problems with it...
    From what I've heard from other users of ME, you could have stopped typing right there. ME=problems :( Reinstalling might not help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
    I'd like to follow up on Jay and Scott's comments.
    Don't even bother trying to get a copy of ME, you'd be a lot better off with Windows 98se.
    Fully patched this is miles better than ME ever was.
    As Scott mentioned an even better idea would be to upgrade to XP instead, but it is rather system hungry and really shouldn't be installed on anything less than a 500Mhz processor. Also Win 98 won't cost you much to get a legit copy whereas XP runs into the hundreds of $.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win 98se back to win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Does anybody know if it is possible to backout an installation of win 98se. A friend of mine installed a USB hub on his win 98 machine and when asked for the drivers he inserted a win 98se disk and the machine tried to go through the upgrade procedure. At some point this upgrade...

Drain backing up [ 5 Answers ]

When we use the kitchen sink, the drain in the basement backs up with foul-smelling liquid. We have had the line 'snaked' twice... to no avail. It doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally. The gentlemen who snaked the drain said that there was 'grease' in the main line... any suggestions? ...

Backing up... [ 1 Answers ]

I looked around some and didn't quite see a question about this, my apologies if you've answered it eighty times already... :D I am having problems with my kitchen/washing machine draining properly. I have attached an image I made to create a better picture. My kitchen shares a wall with my...

Backing up! [ 2 Answers ]

My shower, bathtub and toilet were all backing up - I called my home insurance program and when the plumber came he said I wasn't covered (of course) because it was a root problem. He said he would have to use a camera to see the problem, and suggested it would cost $1000 +/- to fix. He then said...

I'm backing up... [ 1 Answers ]

In the past few days the plumbing in my house has gone to crap... literally. It started with a slow draining bathroom sink on the 2nd level of the house. Liquid Plumber Gel did the trick. Then the toilet clogged. Plunger did it's job. Then we noticed the toilet on the lower level was moving...

View more questions Search