Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Tail light painted
    Hello,

My son have painted his car tail light lenses from inside and now he wants to remove the paint, what will be the best product to remove the paint and not to damage the lenses, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
    If it is plastic, any solvent or paint stripper may have an adverse effect on the clarity of the light housing. Typically, the lights are not too bad to buy. If you were forced to remove the paint, you could go to your local home improvement store and get a solvent that is formulated for plastic... if a product even exists. I know they have strippers that are more organic and derived from citrus acid that have less of an impact on the surface being stripped. You could also try to boil the light housing. I would do it in a double boiler to avoid direct heat with the lens. Paint doesn't typically adhere to hard plastic as it would to other, more pourous surfaces. Try to boil it for a little while, if it remains... step it up to a mild stripper or solvent like paint thinner. If that doesn't work... there is always power washing... that removes paint from almost any surface. If though, you didn't have one handy, it might be cheaper to just buy a new lens then go through the hassle of renting a power washer.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 02:42 PM

Hello Epawls,

Thanks for the quick respond, we will try the boiling method first, and what do you mean by double boiler, if that wouldn't work next step would be to find some solvent for the paint removal, last option will be to replace it but they are not cheap, approximately $150 each, Thanks.

John

Jul 29, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Whoa... 150.00...
    A double boiler is an insert that is much like a collander that goes inside a large pot... it is like a strainer, but it keeps the substance you are cooking away from the direct heat source. Google image search it... you just may not know it by name... anyway, if the boiling doesn't work... you could also try a plastic scraper... they are sold at any home improvement store... remember, if you use a solvent or a stripper, remove the lens from the car so you do not damage the paint on the car...
    Let me know how you make out.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 03:02 PM

I will let you know, Thanks.

John
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:57 PM

Hello Epawls,

Just an update I tried both the boiling, and got paint thinner the instruction was saying would not have any impact but that was not true, I applied in a small area it didn't remove the paint it made it worst, we were forced to buy new ones and replaced them, Thanks for your advice and your help greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 04:26 AM

He probably won't do that again.
    This was tricky if not near impossible, some cleaners that may have worked would likely left plastic cloudy, they make plastic products to clear up the cloudiness.
    Expensive as it was, other way could have been more expensive with time.

Aug 6, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Sorry it didn't work out... yeah, the shine on plastic on tail lights are pretty susceptible to normal weather over time... I could only imagine what a solvent would do to the finish. One thing about the replacement cost though... a lot of manufacturers make light assemblies for vehicles and to buy after-market is always cheaper than dealing with the car dealer...
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 10:12 AM

I got lucky a friend of mine has a work shop and he got them for $104.0 a piece, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tail light issues [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1989 dodge ram 150 ls. My left rear turn signal doesn't flash bright when on, also the reverse lights start flashing like they are my hazards. I have changed the bulbs out already. My right turn signal doesn't do this when on.

Does light bar need a back or can it be placed directly on painted drywall [ 1 Answers ]

As a result of exchanging our surface mount medicine cabinet and regular mirror between bathrooms, I'm moving the light bars that were mounted over them. When I took them down, I noticed that the there is not back to them, that they were mounted so that they were open to the painted sheetrock...

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

View more questions Search