Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rabidm Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Dell Inspiron 1525 starts by itself
    I have a Dell 1525 and for the past few weeks it has been starting up by itself. I use wireless internet. I checked the BIOS and don't see anything relating to an auto start up. I also checked to ensure my 'Wake on LAN' setting was off and unplugged my wireless modem for the day and came home to it still being turned on. I have run various virus checks (Latest Norton trial version and internet provider (Bell)) and neither has found any viruses.

Not really sure where else to check. Very random times to. Sometimes when I wake up it is on and other times it turns on during the day.

Any help would be appreciated!
    onequestionforu Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 10:07 AM

I have heard or complaints about it randomly shutting off, but never about it powering itself on! Lol.. Is your virus software a legit copy and up to date?
    rabidm Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 12:35 PM

Yes, I recently downloaded a trial version of Norton 2009.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 04:08 PM

Check all your Power Options in control panel and go through each setting to make sure laptop is being turned Off and not set to hibernate or sleep
    mj742 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Try to run the diagnostic or hard drive diagnostic by pressing on F12 multiple times after turning on. Don't stop tapping F12 if there's no option on the screen. Once the options are there look for the word diagnostic or hard drive diagnostic. Run the test if pass then reinstall windows. (OS)
    krz Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Lol one of my customers had this problem with the same model.

Turn your computer on, on the dell logo screen push F2 to get into the bios. Go to "Power Management" and set it to Off. This customer of mine thought she had a ghost at her house because her laptop was on every morning when she woke up. Somehow it was set to turn on at midnight every night. Anyway I hope that helps :)
    krz Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Sorry Power Management --> "Auto On Mode". If you want it to come on at a specific time though, just go down one more to "Auto On Time" and set a time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Inspiron 518-141 [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the keyboard for this PC uses a PS/2 or USB connector? Or can you tell me where to look to find out? I have looked all over the web, including the Dell site and cannot seem to find the answer to this. All the product specs exclude the keyboard. Thanks...

Dell inspiron laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a dell inspiron laptop and was wondering if I can use a d-link wna-2330 card for wireless access to the internet. If it would support this card where on the Dell would I plug it in and would it allow me to surf the web from any room in my house? Thanks in advance for the help!;)

Dell Inspiron 8100 [ 1 Answers ]

Ok Guru's I need you help. I haven't used my Dell Lap top for a year. Now when I turn it on a screen comes up asking me for an ADMINISTRATION Password. I have never seen this before. Can I override it? Go around it? Disable it? Thanks Bill :confused:

View more questions Search