Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mdcunningham Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Visitation without court order
    In a case where parental figures have only done a child support order , no court order for custody , what are the fathers rights on visitation ? What needs to be done between the two partys so that the child is allowed to visit one of the parents ?

the story :

the only legal documents , to my knowledge, is the parental form from child support. I signed this long ago because at the very least I could pay child support. This was taken and arranged by the courts and I have diligently paid it for the last 12 years. Me and the ex were never married and ( as stupid as it sounds) I have always let her dictate the relationship between my Son and I. With that said , I have not seen my son in over 12 years , but I have talked to him on a regular basis. Now because of family matters on her end , my son is being rebelious and she has no idea what to do with him. I agreed to let him come visit for 2 weeks and we both talked in length about it. I know that this might be considered as a verbal contract , but I hear horror storys of peoples ex's setting something like this up and then calling the police under the false pretense of " kidnapping" . I want to be trusting and take this visit at face value , but I also don't want to end up in jail. What is the best action I can take in a short time ? ( he comes to visit in 10 days)

also , this is an out of state visit. She lives in Kansas city while I live in boston. I have bought the plane tickets and sent her all the flight information.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 06:16 AM

You need to go to court and have a custody put in place. Otherwise she can come get him and bring him back at any time at her convince and all kinds of things can go wrong.
    You need the order to back you up. Like what if he feels he doesn't want to be with you because he liked that he could walk all over mom? With an order in place it would be easier to bring him back.
    Is she wanting you to have full custody?
    Her have some visitations? You need to work out a plan with her and do the custody order.

Line everything up asap as soon as you get there. Maybe she could get the forms to file so they are there as soon as you get there.

Jul 29, 2009, 06:47 AM

She doesn't want to give up custody , nor am I pushing for it. It is a stright forward visit in which he stays here for 2 weeks and then flys back home. We both agreed on this.

For just a visit , what forms would I need her to sign ? I'm totally lost in terms of legal stuff .
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 06:55 AM

Are you paying child support through the state, or are you simply mailing her a check every month?

Have you been established as the legal father through a court-ordered DNA test, or by signing a paternity acknowledgement form? If so, then you should have been granted certain visitation rights.

Like N0help pointed out, if you don't have a visitation agreement, she could demand that you send him back to her as soon as he gets off the plane - and you would have to comply.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdcunningham View Post
    she dosnt want to give up custody , nor am i pushing for it. It is a stright forward visit inwhich he stays here for 2 weeks and then flys back home. We both agreed on this.

for just a visit , what forms would i need her to sign ? im totaly lost in terms of legal stuff .
    She doesn't have to give up custody you do a JOINT custody filing
    You can even file it as you being primary and her have the visitations
    Or visa versa --depending
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 07:01 AM

A court ordered visitiation is not giving up custody.

When and for how long you get visits need to be done though a court order

Jul 29, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Are you paying child support through the state, or are you simply mailing her a check every month?

Have you been established as the legal father through a court-ordered DNA test, or by signing a paternity acknowledgement form?
    I have a court order through the state of missori to pay child support. I did this by signing a paternity form through child services in which it stated that I waived my right to a dna test because I believe I am the father. The courts then went through the process in which they sent me forms to sign over this. I will look at the forms and see if there is anything stating custidy or visitation , but I don't believe it states anything as it was just a child support order. I am also on the birth certificate and he has my last name.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:15 AM

You also want to get the support order modified since you will be having him living with you. But you would have to have the custody papers taken care of first so they know what percentage of the time he is going to be with you to come up with an adjusted amount
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Your child support order will not list anything pertaining to custody, except probably list you as the non-custodial parent or similar term.

Filing for visitation is separate and within your rights as a father.

She can still have full custody of the child while you get visits either through the summer with holiday breaks as well since you live out of state, but you would have to file that. If you file quickly, you can have the court do an agreed order allowing the agreed visit, so that you will be legally covered for one. It would make your visitation more standardized.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    You also want to get the support order modified since you will be having him living with you. But you would have to have the custody papers taken care of first so they know what percentage of the time he is going to be with you to come up with an adjusted amount
    You can't have a support order modified for a two week visit.

Jul 29, 2009, 07:31 AM

I apreciate all the help in such a speedy maner. I will go to the local court house on my lunch break to see about starting the paperwork. I leaped first because it has been so long since seeing my son and it wasn't until yesterday that I started thinking of the consequences to that. I probably wouldn't even have thought about it unless my mother had said something :) She suggested coming here to these forums as well as just getting my ex to write out a "permision" slip for my son to come visit.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:33 AM

If you went with the 'permission' slip you would have to have it notarized and then it most likely may not hold up.
    With a joint custody thing you won't have to worry what about enrolling him in school and things like that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:37 AM
    If you went with the 'permission' slip you would have to have it notarized and then it most likely may not hold up.
    With a joint custody thing you won't have to worry what about enrolling him in school and things like that.
    I still think we are only talking about a two week visit, not a change of custody.
    Am I mistaken?

Jul 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    I still think we are only talking about a two week visit, not a change of custody.
    Am I mistaken?

No , it is not a change in custody , it is a striaght forward visit from the 7th till the 23rd. That is what is in front of me. That's what I have said all along.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:41 AM

Oh yeah I was forgetting the amount of time because I guess I focused on the fact that mom can't handle his rebellion.
    He really should take it to court and see about coming up with a better plan than just two weeks though so he can establish a bond with him and be and actual part of his life.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:43 AM
    oh yeah I was forgetting the amount of time because I guess I focused on the fact that mom can't handle his rebellion.
    He really should take it to court and see about coming up with a better plan than just two weeks though so he can establish a bond with him and be and actual part of his life.
    I agree completely.
    A twelve year old boy who is acting out could really use a father in his life for some guidance.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:46 AM
    To my knowledge any filings for visitation would need to be done in the child's jurisdiction with the mother's residence or possibly where the original child support order was issued, just so that you are aware.

Jul 29, 2009, 07:49 AM

Now you guys have confused me. A signed permision slip for 2 weeks may or may not cover me or do I hit the courthouse to get approval or what am I suppose to start doing ? I can't leave that up to her as she will more then likely not file it and send him anyway , which leaves me open to a kidnapping charge or worse.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Legally, the right answer is to file in court and immediately do that, but it has to be the court with jurisdiction to rule on issues pertaining to the child. Hopefully if filed in time, you and your ex can write in for an agreed order granting the two week visit. Your relationship clearly isn't comfortable as you are worried she would try and file a kidnapping charge. Is she the one purchasing the tickets?
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:59 AM

I would go with going to court and getting a joint custody thing filed.
    With a joint custody thing no matter how little or how much you see your kid the mother has to inform you of important things going on in his life like doctors appts, surgery, school things and so forth.
    If you want him for Christmas vacations and a couple weeks or more for summer vacations or whatever then that can be included. Plus with a joint custody thing you don't have to keep going through this because you will have your rights. Like what if she has another spur of the moment emergency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change a visitation order? [ 3 Answers ]

My children's father took me to court for custody. He lost but did receive visitation. He is supposed to pick the kids up at the start of his visitation. First and third weekends and wednesdays. He rarely shows up on his scheduled days and if he does it isn't the right time. He drops by my...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Moving/court order visitation [ 6 Answers ]

I am wanting to move 5 hours away from here but my 4 year old child visits with her dad every other weekend which is court ordered. I want her to still visit with her dad but I am afraid he is going to be nasty and make me stay here. I don't want to put my life on hold so what can I do?

Is it reasonable to not allow visitation until court order? [ 2 Answers ]

I am an unwed mother of a 20 month old. Over two weeks ago the father and I broke up and he moved out. We have major communication issues, I do not trust the father, he has a history of drug and alcohol abuse, and currently has a DUI and no license. He did not call for two weeks concerning...

View more questions Search