Oct 20, 2006, 06:29 AM
    how do u balance chemical equations
    for... ex.

1. _____NaOH + ______HCI = ______NaCl + _____H2O

now what the hell is this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Actually this chemical equation is already balanced for you.

Look at it this way:

On the left you already have 1 Na (sodium), on the right you have 1 Na also.

On the left you have 1 O (oxygen), same thing on the right.

On the left you have 2 H (hydrogen) although they are in 2 separate places there are 2. On the right you have 1 H2 (which means that there are 2 H)

On the left you have 1 Cl and same on the right.

What you need to do is to make sure that you have the same number of elements on each side of the equation. In this instance you already do, so it is already balanced.
    pikkulintu Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2006, 05:34 AM
    NaOH + HCI = NaCl +H2O

Na-1 ......... Na - 1
    O-1 ......... O - 1
    H-1 ......... H - 2
    Cl-1 ......... Cl - 1

The aim is to get the same number of each element on each side.
    The easiest way to work it out is just to take each element at a time, and balance them.When you're balancing, you'll probably unbalance other elements, but you just keep on trying to balance them all and they will all eventually balance.

I usually write it out like this, so I don't get confused over how many I've added on each side:

NaOH + HCl = NaCl +H2O
    NaOH....HCl...NaCl....H2O
    NaOH....HCl...NaCl....H2O

Na-2 ....... Na - 2
    O-2 ......... O - 1
    H-2 ......... H - 2
    Cl-2 ....... Cl - 2

Then once you've balanced it, just tidy up the equasion.
    So it would give you:

3NaOH + 3HCl = 3NaCl +3H2O

[B]Na-3 3NaOH + 3HCl = 3NaCl +3H2O

Na-3 ......... Na - 3
    O-3 ......... O - 3
    H-6 ......... H - 6
    Cl-3 ......... Cl - 3
    Expert

Oct 21, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Okay, explain to me where you now get 3 Sodiums on each side of the equation when you only had one Sodium on each side to begin with? If your "balanced" equation has 4 Hydrogens on the left and 3 Hydrogens on the right, can you explain how this is a balanced equation?

The equation was already balanced when the OP posted, you just totally confused the living daylights out of anyone who is learning to balance, since you totally and quite effectively unbalanced it.
    areen Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2006, 10:08 AM
    The equation is balaced, basically all you have to do.. is write down all the elements u have
    which is
    H
    O
    Cl
    Na
    then write down beside it the amount on left hand side and right hand side
    so
    left hand side

H=2
    O=1
    Cl=1
    Na=1
    right hand side

H=2
    O=1
    Cl=1
    Na=1

Now u see they all have the same amount of thh same thing.. so left hand side is = to right hand side.. And its balanced.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 21, 2006, 05:44 PM
    J_9 and Areen are absolutely right. As a side note though, it is all about things wanting to achieve their most stable state. What you have in the first half of the equation is sodium hydroxide (a strong base), and hydrochloric acid (a strong acid). An acid and a base combined will have a tendency to cancel each other. Thus, you wind up with sodium chloride (table salt) and water. Far less reactive compounds.
    Expert

Oct 21, 2006, 06:09 PM
    I agree Thomas, but I believe the OP is just now learning the dynamics of balancing equations. While it can be very confusing, it can also be quite simple if taught correctly.

Pikkulintu made it not only incorrect, but VERY confusing to learn.
    areen Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
    =] chemistry is fun... until u reach energy and change.. a tiny bit confusing...
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Oct 21, 2006, 10:09 PM
    I will admit that in text form what was written by pikkulintu was difficult to follow. Most likely because of the error in counting atoms from the initial post. Note that pikkulintu indicated only one hydrogen on the left side of the reaction.

The result, however, was in fact balanced.

It simply wasn't written using the standard conventions where the coefficients are in lowest whole number ratios.

That is part of the beauty of the balanced equation... any factor remains balanced.

That being said, there was no work that needed to be done on this equation as it was balanced from the onset.

Balancing can be frustrating at times because of the lack of "steps" and the trial and error involved. There are, however certain things you can do to make balancing easier.

Balance the biggest compound first.
    Save the lone elements for last.
    rrezja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 07:51 PM
    _____NaOH + ______HCI = ______NaCl + _____H2O

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical-physical changes [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference of a physical and a chemical change?

Chemical that knows how humid it is. [ 1 Answers ]

Many years ago while attending a state fair in the mid-west one vendor would give away a one inch by three inch piece of paper that had the thickness like a manila file folder. This was impregnated with a chemical on a spot about the size of a dime. It had a pink color to it and when the humidity...

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search