Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Jul 29, 2009, 12:59 AM
    How to quit my job?
    I started a new job in April 2009 as a part time sales associate. I have been working there for about 3 and a half months now and I am going to quit. My number one reason for quitting is the store manager. She's a huge B****. She gives me attitude all the time, for example I will walk into the store and smile and say hi and she just looks at me and then ignores me. She will also constantly crititize me, she tells me 100 things that I do wrong but doesn't say anything positive about me. She's made me not want to go into work so many times. In the last two weeks I have gotten 0 shifts from them, one week they blamed it on the fact that I booked off my birthday... so because I booked off ONE day they couldn't schedule me for an entire week? They treat me like crap. So I'm confused on how I should quit. I know I will not get a reference from them, so should I just call them and tell them that I found another job? I haven't even checked my schedule for this week so if I even have any shifts I don't plan on working them. I feel like why should I be nice to them and do them a favor by working when they won't give me a reference anyway and they treat me like crap. So how should I do this?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 01:55 AM
    Find another job first, check whatever employment papers you signed in case they tell how to give notice, then drop off a letter of resignation at the workplace.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 29, 2009, 02:05 AM
    What I would recommend is that you call Human Resources before you quit and file a complaint about her. Explain exactly what you have said here to the HR person you talk to and make sure that it is known in the company that this is going on.

I had a boss like this when I worked in Human Resources and we actually got her fired because so many employees complained about the way she treated them. Even if you choose to leave, you would be doing any future employees there a favor by making corporate aware of her actions.

As for quitting. Put in a 2 week notice. They might not even schedule you, or tell you not to bother. A lot of places do this, or leave it up to you. But it's only polite to do so. You will have to go collect your last check anyhow.

As for a reference. Most States have laws that pertain to this, your employer can only tell a prospective boss if you no-showed for work, and how often you were late. The company I worked for had strict rules about this, we adhered to them very closely. If you can don't use that manager's name under the company. Use a different one, or Human Resources if that's applicable to your store.

Jul 30, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Well I wanted to wait until I found another job but I don't know if I can take anymore of my manager. I can't stand the way she treats me and I'm not even getting 1 shift a week so I don't see the point in staying. I think they are planning on firing me anyway so I don't even know if staying is an option.

As for the letter, I was planning on handing it in tomorrow but then I got to thinking. They pay me through direct deposit and I haven't worked in two weeks so they don't owe me any money, so I have no reason to ever go back there. When I think of everything that B**** has done to me it makes me soooo mad and I just don't even want to bother with them. I haven't been in to check my schedule(the schedule starts on Sunday) and they haven't even called me yet so that either means I haven't had any shifts or I did and when I didn't show up they didn't bother to call. So at this point I just don't know if I should even bother.

I will definently call human resources on her, where would I be able to get the number for the company's HR?

Jul 30, 2009, 02:25 AM
    It should be in your employment package. Not knowing where you work I can't actually guess. We had ours posted in the employee break room, it was the same line you called to file complaints for any other reason. Whoever you talk to about your direct deposit would have the number, so would any manager. Hopefully she isn't your only manager. Still, there are ways of getting the number without asking her. You could ask a shift lead to get it for you and ask them to be discreet and not mention your name.

Jul 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
    I work for Bath and Body Works, if you are familiar with the store maybe it will help. I'm scared to ask other managers for the number because I know they will tell her that I asked for it. The B**** is store manager and she has 2 managers below her and they are all close and I know once she gets in trouble for the complaint they will tell her I was the one who asked for the number. Is there any other way I could get the number? What if I call customer service and ask for it?

Jul 30, 2009, 10:14 PM
    I looked online and this number for B&BW 1-800-395-1001 is open Mon-Fri 9-5 EST. I called and listened to the options and there wasn't really one for your issue. Call it and ask whomever you speak to if they have a number you can contact for Human Resources. If they can't help you ask to talk to their supervisor and explain the situation, then ask them for the number. It may take a couple of transfers, but they SHOULD have someone at that number who can help you. Let me know if you can't find it. I'll call and ask for you with a very sweet tone. ;) You shouldn't have to feel harassed in the workplace.

Jul 31, 2009, 01:50 AM
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what I can do, I'll let you know what happens.

Jul 31, 2009, 01:54 AM
    Okay! Good Luck, I know how stressful that can be, I worked in HR for about a year at one point until my store closed. Just be polite and insistent, SOMEONE will tell you what you need to know. I wish I had found a real HR number.

One more thing, can you transfer stores, is there another one near you?

Jul 31, 2009, 03:28 AM
    Yes there is, but at this point I don't even know if I still work there. I haven't checked my schedule so I don't know if I had any shifts, if I did then they just didn't care to even call me and tell me I was supposed to come in. I didn't bother to check in the first place because I had 0 hours in the last two weeks so I figured this week would be the same.

Now I'm just waiting to see if they'll call me at all this week and if they don't I'll go in on tuesday(because Monday is a holiday) and I'll see what's going on. If I still work there then I'll think about asking to be transferred, and if for some reason I can't, then I'll just quit. I only get paid minimum wage which is not enough to be treated like crap by that B****. She's the biggest hypocrite I've ever seen. Everything she tells us not to do(talk on the floor, bring out our cellphones, come to work in a bad mood) she does it herself. She puts me down constantly and I just take it because I have no choice. She makes me so mad, I can't wait to get her in trouble, she deserves it.

Jul 31, 2009, 03:35 AM
    Way I see it you need to consider two things. Vindication, and if you are going to ever work for that company again. If you are never going to work there again, you have nothing to lose but a reference, and even then in MOST cases she cannot give you a bad reference without reason. Vindication, I would still consider reporting her, her bosses probably have no idea.

Aug 2, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Well I'm almost certain I don't work there anymore. It's been a week and they haven't called me, so I'm not going to bother with them. The company treats their employees like crap anyway. They don't give you any shift that's over five hours because they don't want to give you a break, and in Ontario it's legal to work up to five hours without a break. If you're caught talking to another employee while on the floor, they send you home. I'm just going to forget about them and find another job.

I will call tomorrow and complain about the store manager.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 08:37 PM

You know the funny thing about many business, you see some of the same people years latter on the way UP or down. That boss may be at XYZ next year and in a few years at ABC.
    Also a co worker who may hear about things may be the new boss 10 years from now.

Aug 7, 2009, 01:32 AM
    Well I wasn't planning on staying with this company forever, I just needed a part-time job to help pay for school. I actually found another job and I've left that company for good now.

Aug 7, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Right on girl, good luck at the new job, thanks for updating!

Aug 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Thanks :). They finally called me after 2 weeks of no contact and left a message on my voicemail saying that I missed four shifts and I'm no longer working there. I don't care but I thought it was ridiculous that they waited until I missed the FOURTH shift to call me. Whatever though, I called and complained about the B**** so I hope she gets in trouble.
    wtwwtw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 05:14 PM
    You have to keep it in mind that if you quit you will not be able to collect unemployment. They may be wanting to get you to quit so you can not collect unemployment. You need to go over her head and find out why you are not getting any shifts. If you are planning on leaving any ways you might as well rock the boat a little before you go and go over her head. Let some on else higher up know how she treats peoplek

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tv quit [ 3 Answers ]

I have an RCA Tv model HD56W58 that just quit - no power at all to on/off button. I unplugged it as suggested for 6+ hours then plugged it back in but still no power. Any ideas on this?

3 day pay or quit. [ 15 Answers ]

I received I 3 day pay or quit on 10/6/08 & I have no intentions on paying, so what will happen next will they have to serve a 30 day notice next or what? Also the lease agreement was up on 9/30/8 so there is no lease agreement in place & I have been in the house for over a year; what steps are the...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

I Quit! [ 7 Answers ]

My Official Resignation I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult. I have decided I would like teddy to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year old again. Bugs Bunny is smart... and he is my friend too.

How to quit my job [ 6 Answers ]

Hey guys I need a little help! I've been working at a jewlery store in our mall since August. However, I would like to quit. Although I really do enjoy working there, I think I would be better suited to work at a clothing boutique. How should I put in my two weeks notice without completing ruining...

View more questions Search