Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepjim Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 11:31 PM
    02 Craftsman LTX1000, runs rough, seat sensor doesn't kill
    I got an 02 Craftsman LTX1000 for free. Very happy. It ran great (really purred) after I found the bad fuse that got me this freebie. Seat sensor never killed engine when I lifted off, but would make engine run rough. Otherwise ran great. Now, it's running rough all the time, as if my butt is not on the seat. I can pull the choke a little to make it run slightly better, but still not even close to right. I heard stories about Craftsman having bad wiring from the factory, but this one was good for years. Gave it a general tune up... plugs, fuel & air filter, cleaned the carb & intake, blew out dirt and dust from everywhere, etc, also replaced cracked leaking fuel tank with brand new one. No different. Jumpered the seat sensor, no different. Engaged the mower deck sensor, no different. (blade brake doesn't engage when releasing blade engage lever. Maybe that's another question) It runs slightly better when depressing clutch/brake pedal, but still not purring. Also, I get more popping/backfiring when blades are spinning and pressing/releasing clutch/brake pedal. So, I guess my question is this: Has anybody heard of this before, and could all these problems be linked to a bad safety sensor either under the seat, mower engage lever, or clutch/brake??

Another interesting problem is ignition switch. I was told the old one was bad so it was replaced with brand new one. That may be true, but the engine continues to run for about 5 seconds after switch is turned off and key removed.

I've worked on this thing for a while and can't find a cure, and don't have money to try replacing things that might not be the main problem. Please help. My grass is getting out of control.

Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:42 PM

Hi,
    I was mystified for quite a bit of that explanation, thanks by the way for being thorough - those one and two liners are not always a lot of help. It was one small thing you said that was the key!
    the engine continues to run for about 5 seconds after switch is turned off and key removed
    was the clue.
    You definitely have electrical problems. They are somewhere in the ignition ground system (that is the circuit that grounds the ignition to shut off the engine.) Now that clue, that time delay means that the engine shuts off when the fuel shutoff solenoid shuts and then the fuel in the circuits runs out. That is what causes that five second delay. Cannot say where it is but I would look between the engine and switch. I would say this is why the safety circuits do not work properly since they use this circuit, also.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    jeepjim Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 07:50 PM

Thank you crigby for getting back to me. I can't wait to dig in and hopefully find and fix this problem for good. I'll keep you posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rough idle after replacing crank sensor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 dodge stratus es 2.5L. About 6 weeks ago I replaced my crank sensor, before doing so I had the distributor cap off and plug wires off testing for a no start. Since getting it running again (crank sensor) it has a bad hesitation, the warmer it gets the worse it runs. I have three codes...

Seat kill switch on poulan lawn tractor [ 4 Answers ]

Hey folks. My Poulan lawn tractor started to die every time I let the clutch out. An "expert" on another discussion board suggested that the problem was likely the seat emergency plug and it simply wasn't sensing that I was in the seat. To test the theory, he said I should clip the plug and bypass...

Craftsman mower kill switch [ 1 Answers ]

I got off the lawnmower while it was running to move a toy and the mower stopped, but now I can't get it started again. Am I missing something? I tried shifting to neutral, disengaging the blades and pushing in the clutch before I tried to start it again, but it's like I'm getting no juice from...

Kill/stop wire on craftsman [ 5 Answers ]

Craftsman 5.5 hp lawnmower - Model # 917-387070 (? ) How do I replace this cable? It looks like there may be a spring missing (if there was one) down near the engine. I know something is wrong with the cable because it did finally start, then would not cut off. Any help is appreciated. I have...

View more questions Search