Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Herinated disc pain relief
    Hope someone out there can give me some info.

I have two herniated discs in my back L4 and L5.

I was hit on my bicycle many years ago and this is a recurrent pain.Hit and run by the way.
    Last Monday ,I stretched to answer my cell and there it went.

The pain usually lasts about a week but this time it is not improving at all.
    It is excruciating,the muscle spasms are enough to bring me to my knees.

I just recently got insurance so I have no family doctor.
    Went to the E.R. and they gave me 30 Percocet and 30 Flerixil.

I can not get an appointment until August 21.I called everywhere and it's a no go.

The question is if I go back to the ER for pain meds ,considering I can't be seen for weeks,what are the chances they will give them to me? I know you can't say conclusively but an opinion would be great.

I do not want to go through the pain of waiting in the ER if I will come out empty handed.This is a Catholic Hospital and they are notorious for not prescribing narcotics.

I am in limbo here and I can not tolerate this pain much more.

Suggestions anyone ?
    Thank-you in advance.

I may not respond to you immediately as I never know if I will be able to sit at the comp or not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 09:57 PM

Would you consider going to a chiropractor? Is there a well-recommended one around there? A chiro did more for me than medical science that just wanted to toss muscle relaxants and pain pills at me (my problem too was a bulging disk at L4-L5).

Meanwhile, lie on the floor with your knees bent and your calves/feet on the seat of a chair. That was the only position in which I could be fairly pain-free. Occasionally, pull your legs slowly toward your chest and hold for a minute. Feel the stretch in your low back. Do this several times.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:17 PM

Never lie totally flat so your low back arches. Always have a pillow under your knees so your low back will flatten out. (I worked in physical therapy for two years after quitting teaching, plus have the personal back-pain experience.)

Shiatsu and acupressure also may help.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Never lie totally flat so your low back arches. Always have a pillow under your knees so your low back will flatten out. (I worked in physical therapy for two years after quitting teaching, plus have the personal back-pain experience.)

Shiatsu and acupressure also may help.
    I would try anything at this point.The spasms are horrible.I actually yell out loud when I have one,it feels like a knife is being plunged into my back.

My feet are like ice and numb,so I know it is pinching a nerve somewhere.

I will see if my insurance covers the treatment options you gave me.

I have no desire to be doped up all the time.I'm dopey enough without it :)
    Thanks WG,I appreciate it!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:46 PM

Inversion therapy might help too. Even if you lie head down on a slant board that's tilted at a hmmmmm 20-degree angle. I always feel wonderful in the dentist chair when he puts it back so my head is lower than my feet, could feel my spine open up.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Inversion therapy might help too. Even if you lie head down on a slant board that's tilted at a hmmmmm 20-degree angle. I always feel wonderful in the dentist chair when he puts it back so my head is lower than my feet, could feel my spine open up.
    That is interesting! I know it is good for the blood flow.
    I do Yoga nearly everyday and I haven't had an attack in over a year so it seems to work for me ,just one wrong stretch and here I am ,a mess :)
    I will take your suggestions to heart when I have less pain and more mobility.It sounds like a good way to keep the spine healthy and strong.
    Thanks again !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any pain relief from TMJ? [ 5 Answers ]

I saw the post from Mary earlier today about TMJ, I was just diagnosed with it. The pain is comparable to labor pains. The dentist wants me to take muscle relaxer at night for a couple of weeks, then let him know if that doesn't work and he'll fit me for a mouth guard. Don't think I can wait a...

Left sided groin pain + dizziness and infrequent chest pain [ 1 Answers ]

I started having pain in the left side of my groin yesterday, it's painful to sit, walk, stand and then today I took my mom to church and during church I had dizziness and severe chest pain. I was able to drive us home luckily, I had another episode of the chest pain when we got to her house and...

I need pain relief for fibromyalgia [ 1 Answers ]

I've had fibromyalgia for 2-1/2 years. I've seen several different doctors & take several different pain meds ranging from vicodine to morphine. I tried all the "new" meds that are advertise on TV with NO relief at all. I am home alone with 2 babies & I really need help! What can I do for pain...

Pain relief pm [ 1 Answers ]

I have trouble sleeping at night and have had for years. I have been taking pain relief pm for years. I have to take for a night to sleep. I know this can't be good for me. Does anyone know of anything I can do that will help without taking medication. My doctor has had me on several sleeping...

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search