Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Jul 28, 2009, 04:52 PM
    What is the proper spacing for base moulding/carpet.
    What is the proper spacing between the base moulding and the concrete floor when installing carpet? Does it depend on the thickness of the carpet and pad?
    I'm finishing the basement and am having carpet installed soon. I was planning on waiting to put up base molding until after the carpet was in but the carpet place suggested I put base molding up first. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 08:16 PM

The baseboard can be on the floor and let the installer butt the carpet up against it but it makes his job easier if you hold it up about 1/2 to 3/4". He can then tuck the edge of the carpet under the baseboard. Just makes his job easier.

Jul 28, 2009, 08:32 PM

I definitely want to hold it off the floor so the installer can tuck it under the molding but I wasn't sure how much. 1/2" is what I was guessing but I didn't want to just guess and end up with a bad installation.

Jul 28, 2009, 09:11 PM

What I usually do is take a couple of short scrap pieces of base, lay them on the floor under each end as a spacer. Base is usually 11/16" thick, just about right.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Hi Dave:

I think the best job will be determined by the thickness of the carpet chosen... ;) If a thin, commercial-grade carpet then I believe 1/2" space would be fine. If a thick-plush rug well, then 3/4" will be best for that.

You don't want the carpet to end up with a beveled BULGE at the sides so I would recommend choosing the carpet and then ask the supplier what they recommend for spacing. Pop back here and let us know what they said... O.K.?

MARK

Jul 29, 2009, 04:48 PM

Is it a big deal if I just wait to put the base on until after the carpet is in? The carpet is a cut and loop carpet and somewhat thin. The pad is about 3/8" thick. The pad goes inside the tack strip correct?
    I'll attach a small drawing to show what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images

Jul 29, 2009, 05:35 PM

You are correct about the pad and the tack strip. I don't see why the carpet installer would care if base is not installed. Should make his job even more easy.

Just as an aside. Wife is up removing wall paper in dining room. I went up to get a cup of coffee.

Wife: "Did you put the baseboard in after this wall paper was put up?'
    Me: "Yes"
    Wife: "Why?"
    Me: "To make the papering easier."
    Wife: "Well, now I've got to get all the little bity pieces out that stick up"
    Me: "Well, you should have used a utility knife and cut it."
    Wife: "You didn't tell me that."
    Me: "I'm not involved in this project."

They are never happy. She wouldn't be happy if I hung her with a new rope.

;
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Harold is right... I see no issues either way.

Only concern for me would be that you don't set the baseboard down so tight on the carpet that it makes removal in the future almost impossible. When I was the rip out boy for a small carpet company I would almost cry when the people would set that baseboard down so tight I had to literally RIP/PULL/TEAR... I've seen this done more times than you would believe!

Otherwise, with loop and pile carpet and a 3/8" pad/tackless strip I'd keep the baseboard at 1/2" off the floor as you suggested at the beginning. Never hurts to confirm with the installer, too!

Good luck!

MARK

Jul 29, 2009, 06:03 PM

Thanks guys. I think I'll just wait to put up the base. The concrete floor is not completely level of course so I'll try to make sure I don't make the base too tight on the high spots but still keep it against the carpet so I don't have gaps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown moulding [ 5 Answers ]

What's the going rate for installing 5 1/4 " crown moulding

Dry laid Flagstone: sub-base only, or sub-base and base? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Northern VA and am installing dry laid 1.5" natural cleft flagstone on 4" of bluestone sub-base. I'd like this 500 sq ft. patio to last 20 years or more. My question: Is it overkill to add 2" of stonedust as a base on top of the bluestone sub-base, or is this unnecessary? If my...

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Plastic moulding [ 6 Answers ]

What are the bits of plastic that are cut off and disgarded after the moulding process? I think it's a word like scree or scrag?

View more questions Search