Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hil83 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2003, 12:08 AM
    My daughter
    I need some serious help, my daughter is 13 years old and I think that she may be starting her period, I'm her father and her only parent could someone tell me at what age girls usually start there periods I know it must be a silly question but I'm a guy and I have no idea? Thanks
    dwalex Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

May 20, 2003, 06:51 AM
    my daughter
    OK, calm down. I was a single dad when my 12 year old daughter started her period and again when her younger sister did. YOU CAN HANDLE THIS!! Look up on Google "Facts about starting menstration" and you will have more info than you can possibly need. Then sit down and discuss this issue for what it is; a natural and expected occurrence in a young teen's life. Do not act embarrassed or ashamed as that will give her the idea that this is "nasty" or "dirty". Just tell her what she needs to know and tell her you are open for any questions that she may have. It is probably a good idea to locate an aunt, grandmother or female family friend that she can go to if she has questions you cannot answer due to your gender. There should be no answer you cannot answer due to embarrasement; this is part of your job.

Best wishes,
    dwalex
    MrsAdams Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2003, 11:15 PM
    my daughter
    Well... there is no normal age when a girl starts her period... myself... I started mine when I was 9 years old... my Mom was 9 and my youngest sister was 12... it all depends on the child and it's a fluke of nature... don't be scared or you'll make your daughter uncomfortable... there are all kinds of books out there... go to your local library and look for

The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know) By: Karen Gravelle, Jennifer Gravelle, Debbie Palen

Or any other book about girls and their bodies... its great for girls to read about things... especially if you as a man don't know these things...

Here's a great website http://www.beinggirls.co.uk/Menstruation.htm

Hope this helps!
    elrp Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Nov 26, 2003, 04:11 PM
    my daughter

The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know) By: Karen Gravelle, Jennifer Gravelle, Debbie Palen
    My mum bought me that book! I would recommend it, I found it very helpful.
    EVS Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

May 30, 2004, 11:49 PM
    my daughter
    Hi there

You daughter can start her periods at anytime, age does not come into this at all.

It sounds as if you do not have an open relationship with her, in that she is not telling you personnel things.

You are going to have to discuss these things with her, but before you do find out more... Speak to a female that is close to you, matbe, just maybe she can help discuss this with your daughter.

Parents need to be more open with their children, so that this typew of thing does not occur.

Sit your daughter down and talk to her openly, it may be embarrassing at first but I am sure that she will appreciate it latter on in her life that she can come to her Dad for answers.

Regards
    Peanuts
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jul 30, 2004, 09:43 AM
    my daughter
    Yes there is no set age that a period starts. That when little girls get there first taste of growing up. When they find out every little girl goes through this including there friends they will be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Daughter [ 3 Answers ]

It has been over 10 years that my daughter has not spoke to me, or let me know where she was with 2 of my grandchildren. Then out of the blue she calls me, not to see how I am but to see if I can tell her how her son is doing that lives in this town that she has not had anything to do with in the...

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Help my Daughter! [ 5 Answers ]

Excuse me, if my message does not correspond to rules of your conference. We live a small city in the Samara Region called Chapaevsk in Russia. Our daughter Lenochka is 14 years old. Since childhood she has been suffering from a very serious disease lymphostasys of lower extremities. Last year...

Help my Daughter! [ 1 Answers ]

Excuse me, if my message does not correspond to rules of your conference. We live a small city in the Samara Region called Chapaevsk in Russia. Our daughter Lenochka is 14 years old. Since childhood she has been suffering from a very serious disease lymphostasys of lower extremities. Last year...

My daughter needs help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 14 year old daughter. I live in Virginia and she is in Arkansas with her dad. I just spent thousands of dollars because my daughter has begged me to get her back. I had a lawyer and also my daughter had an attorney ad litem. I was in court in Arkansas all day December 3rd for the hearing...

View more questions Search