Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdog02 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 10:46 AM
    Whirlpool side by side not cooling fridge and top part of freezer
    10 year old whirlpool side by side with ice maker suddenly stopped getting col on fridge side. Also freezer only gets cold near bottom.shut down unit for 4 hours. Plugged back in same problem.is it condenser or something else?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 12:10 PM

It's the defrost timer switch that needs replaced. It is usually the first component to fail on a fridge.

Jul 28, 2009, 12:23 PM

I just tapped unit in the back and it started to work again. Still think it's the defrost timer switch ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

In that case it's the fan motor. I changed out the fan motor in my refrige by myself. Just call around to your local appliance parts store and get the right fan motor for your fridge. Motors are about $30.

The defrost timer switch would have caused your coils to get frosted up solid with ice and the fan still running as usual. So no, I don't think it's your defrost timer switch at this point.

It's the fan motor. Had you said the fan wasn't running I would have said "Fan Motor" and not defrost timer switch. I've had previous experience with both problems.

Jul 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Sorry but at the time of first post didn't realize fan motor wasn't running. I work for beer company, just can`t have the babies getting warm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up causing fridge to warm [ 27 Answers ]

We have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 5 years old but for the past year+ we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of the freezer...

Maytag side by side fridge freezer-- occasional ice up, defroster buzzes [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, all -- - Our Maytag SIDE BY SIDE ( MSD2356AEB) occasionally builds up ice on the coil in the freezer. I turn the unit off, remove the rear panels, defrost with a hair dryer, then reassemble after the half hour or so it takes to "hairdry" it. I restart, and the unit works beautifully. ...

Kenmore side-by-side fridge/freezer ice maker [ 4 Answers ]

15 yr old side-by-side fridge/freezer ice machine quit----have water to door but none in ice maker mold---wire is down---no noises/no nothing---old man on fixed income wants to save a $ if possible---what to check nefore the repair service is called?--thanks

Maytag side by side freezer frosting, fridge not cold [ 1 Answers ]

Our Maytag side by side fridge/freezer has begun malfunctioning in the last two days. The back of the freezer is frosting over and the fridge is not keeping cold. It is not producing any ice.

View more questions Search