Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maamster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Lack of Period 6 months after birth of baby
    I was wondering if anyone has any info that might help me out. I gave birth 6 months ago by C-section because my baby was breech. He was also 5 weeks premature. The placenta was embedded in the wall of my uterus. The OB/GYN said this was due to a procedure I had many years ago called thermal ablation. The dr's had to literally dig out the placenta (like I was a pumpkin being dug out for Halloween). I bled for 11 weeks afterwards, finally going on heavy antibiotics to help stop it as they figured it was due to an infection. I have not had a period since then. I've had a day or two of dark brown blood here and there, that a light day pad was sufficient for, but that's it. I've taken a pregnancy test but it came up negative. Any ideas?? I will be getting in to see my dr, but not until late next week... I'm getting concerned. Thanks for listening! And any info you may have.
    ImWho Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2006, 01:41 AM
    Did you make it clear the Dr.'s office how long it has been since your monthly? A 2nd call back, stressing your concerns may help. You could even request to speak to a nurse or the Dr.
    If your not comfortable waiting, maybe you could visit a minor emergency center, or even the ER.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 04:42 AM
    There is no reason to go to the ER or any emergency center at this point, since your appointment is next week.

You do need to bring up your concerns to your doctor. I am not sure exactly what is going on, and this is hard to do without a physical. He is the best one to answer your questions.

But, please do not go to the ER right now. The ERs are clogged up enough that unless it is an emergency you should not go. They are called Emergency Rooms for a reason and I don't believe this is an emergency.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
    ImWho,

I have to disagree with you. It is BRIGHT RED blood that one needs to be concerned about. A visit to the ER would be warranted if thre was BRIGHT RED blood which indicates hemorrhage.

Therefore, this is not contradictory. Brown discharge is indicative of the beginning or ending of the shedding of the lining of the uterus, and, is therefore not an alarming situation. This can wait until her doctor appointment next week. She only had a day or two with brown blood spotting. If she breast feeds, it could just be her period, do you go to the ER for your period? This can wait for a few days.

So, please make sure you know your facts before disagreeing with someone.
    Maamster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 08:10 PM
    I saw the Dr. and he informs me that he is unsure why I'm do not have my period yet. I had an ultrasound which showed every normal. I'm not nursing as my baby was premature and did not take to it. It's a bit of a mystery, but he said not to worry about it.

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it!
    beangirl1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 09:46 AM
    I am actually going to the doctor next week for the same thing. My baby is 6 months old and I bled very heavily after a C section delivery for almost 2 months straight. Then I just stopped bleeding and have not had a period. My doc did an ultrasound and said it looked normal so now they referred me to my regular OBGYN. I couldn't get an appointment for a month. Any updates on what it is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No period for 4 months but not pregnant? [ 16 Answers ]

Ok here it is my best friend who I have known for 18 years at least ( since we were 2) has not had her period in 4 months but every time she takes a pregnancy test it comes up negative.. how can that be.. I mean she is a little on the heavy side and I am really concerned.. I try and try to make her...

I just had a baby 6 months ago could I be pregnant again? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 21 years old I just had my first baby in April and it was a rough pregnancy I found out that I have an autoimmune diease which one is not clear yet we just know I clot easily. Anyhow I developed Preeclampsia in my 9th month of pregnancy and was induced 2 weeks before my due date. My...

No period for 1 yr after baby... Dr has no idea [ 2 Answers ]

I am 32, I gave birth jan 05. I had heavy bleeding up till 7 weeks when the dr performed a DNC, due to having piece of placenta left. Immediately after that I stopped bleeding. I went on the Depo shot for 2 cycles to prevent pregnancy. I was also breastfeeding. I didn't have any bleeding or...

10month 3 week baby - lack of sleep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month 3 weeks baby boy - who is a wee dream, he is so good natured and content. We have one small problem... sleeping. He will not sleep through the night. He is still sharing our bedroom but is moving in the next month or so to his own room. I have no problem getting him to sleep...

View more questions Search