Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynxs1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 10:51 PM
    Accusation of downstairs tenant
    I am from Delaware County, PA and just began my 3rd month of a 12 month lease agreement, the property is for sale. The tenant downstairs has lived here for 9 years and for the past 4 - 6 weeks has been making ridiculous claims to the landlord about my "unreasonable" everyday lifestyles(excessive noise and profanities, not locking the front door, etc.. ). I just received an eviction warning from the landlord's lawyer giving me 5 days to remedy breaches that don't exsist.
    Is there anyway to defend myself against a neighbor who is out of her mind?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 02:12 AM
    Yes, move before your evicted. Tell the landlord straght up you cannot live with some who snoops and lies so you would rather go. Find another place first. Give notice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Respond to the lawyer saying that you want an itemized list of the alleged "breaches" with proof of each one.

In the meantime I would look for someplace else to live, since I doubt if the neighbor is going to stop. You can threaten to sue the neighbor for slander or sue them for moving costs after you have moved. If you sue them, however, you have to prove the allegations are false. If they sue you, they have to prove the allegations are true.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Hello Lynx:

As you are very aware, it's not the lawsuit that's troublesome, it's the THREAT of a lawsuit that's troublesome.

I agree with Scott. In addition to asking for proof (I would be more DEMANDING than ASKING in my tone), I would let them know that if they act upon ANY of the neighbors false accusations, YOU will file suit, and quite likely will be the new owner of the building... Send it certified, return receipt requested. Mail it to the landlord with a copy to the lawyer. End with the tag line, "Act, at your peril".

It's all a matter of intimidation at this point. You might as well do some of your own intimidating. Meanwhile, you should look for new lodgings.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2006, 07:25 AM
    In thinking about this I suspect the landlord is afraid you will crimp his sale so he doesn't want to take a chance and just wants to get you out. Personally I don't think you should go on the attack as excon suggests. At least not yet. I just think that taking an antagnostic approach at this point burns your bridges. I would be firm but not threatening.

But bottom line is you are not welcome there. Whether by the landlord or the downstairs neighbor or both. So eventually you will have to (want to) move. Everything you do now is just to give you time to find another place. And maybe setup a suit to recover moving costs.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 20, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Remedy the breach(s)... write the landlord's attorney and ask for the specifics of the lease violations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant evicting another tenant [ 2 Answers ]

The Lease is in my name and my husband is listed as a tenant, how do I get him out? Will I have to evict him? If so, how do I go about this, there really isn't a lot of information on one tentant evicting another tenant. Please help.:confused:

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

Help, no heat downstairs... [ 11 Answers ]

We have a twin zone system (seperate ground and first floor heating) the 1st floor will heat up to 20c+ with no problem, but the ground floor will not go over 15c?? The room stat on the ground floor is OK. The motorised valve for the ground floor opens/closes OK Boiler was replaced last...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

View more questions Search