Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subsailor20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Replace RJ45/8 on CAT 5E
    I have the crimp tool for this connector and I know what the configuration is. My problem is a proper way to get all 8 wires in the connector for crimping.

Thanks for the help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 08:20 AM

Well, unfortunately, not all R45 connectors are alike. I like the EZ-RJ-45, but they require a special crimp tool. AMP requires a special crimp tool.

Some have sleaves, some do not. Some have spacers, some do not.

Strip the jacket off, so it is squished by the crimp.
    Basic idea is to maintain the twists as close as possible.
    Insert in the correct order.
    Crimp.

The EZ RJ45 allows you to insert all of them, cut at an angle if you wish. The crimp tool cuts the wires flush to the end of the connector because the wires exit the plug.

Another thing to be VERY CAREFUL about is whether the plug is rated for stranded, solid or both. Single puncture clips are rated for stranded only. Tri-clips can usually do both.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 28, 2009, 04:06 PM

Practice, practice, practice. Find someone who has done it before and get them to show you how they do it.

I prefer to untwist at least 2-3 cm of wire and arrange them. Then use a pair of scissors to clip the end straight (about 1 to 1-1/2 cm) and then push them in to the connector right away.

As KISS stated, it depends on the connector brands and spec. There are different connectors for CAT6 than for CAT5 as well.

Never leave more than 1-1/2 cm untwisted at ANY connector including what is inside the connector.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 07:57 AM

I like to strip outer insulation about an inch back, only untwitst as far as needed, lay all wire incorrect order and perfectly flat, hold up to connector to be sure insulation is under crimp part, cut straight across with scissors and while still in your hand slide into connector, wiggle a little(not you, the wires) and crimp.
    Personal thing with the EZ RJ 45, although unlikely, if the end of the cord touches metal, it can short across the wires at the end.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 07:49 PM

There are times you want a custom length.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 01:56 PM

Man this brings back memories of my Cisco classes, where I spent 4 hours one day just practicing this... over and over and over and over again!

The biggest thing I've learned is after you've got the correct supplies (as stated by KISS and CH) make sure your cut is straight and equal across all wires and makes sure you secure them into the RJ45 connector all the way to the tip, if not then it won't secure the connection and you won't know why its not working (assuming you don't have a Fluke Tester)

Rick
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by subsailor20 View Post
    I know what the configuration is. .
    Then you know it's not properly RJ45 but 8P8C.

cat5e wiring diagram - Bing
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dont treadonme View Post
    then you know it's not properly RJ45 but 8P8C.

cat5e wiring diagram - Bing

Both designations are technically incorrect. There is no Registered Jack (RJ) designations for Ethernet. Technically, it's TIA568A or TIA568B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B

Perhaps the widest known and most discussed feature of TIA/EIA-568-B.1-2001 is the definition of pin/pair assignments for eight-conductor 100-ohm balanced twisted-pair cabling, such as Category 3, Category 5 and Category 6 unshielded twisted-pair (UTP) cables. These assignments are named T568A and T568B and they define the pinout, or order of connections, for wires in 8P8C (often incorrectly referred to as RJ45) eight-pin modular connector plugs and sockets. Although these definitions consume only one of the 468 pages in the standards documents, a disproportionate amount of attention is paid to them. This is because cables that are terminated with differing standards on each end will not function normally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace copper with flex-tubing under k-sink, replace faucet [ 13 Answers ]

I need a new faucet in the kitchen. Old lines are copper and sweated in. Can a novice do-it-yourselfer change the copper lines to flex-steel, and put in a new faucet, or do we need a plumber? We are willing to learn.. Where can I find detailed information on how to do it? Step by step?

How do I replace a 30 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker? Must I replace the wiring? [ 15 Answers ]

I have purchased a GE built-in oven to replace the 60 year old oven that was installed when the house was built. The original oven uses a 30 amp breaker. The salesperson told me I must change the breaker to a 20 amp to accommodate the new oven, but he's unsure whether the wiring must be changed as...

Can I use an RJ45 splitter to run a PC and an XBox [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have seen RJ45 splitters for sale on eBay. I am running a network and my son's bedroom has a PC in it and also he wants to go on Xbox Live. His PC is connected to the network router via RJ45 cable. My question is can I use one of these splitters to connect his Xbox to the web using a...

Which is usually the DSL internet port? RJ11 or RJ45 [ 1 Answers ]

Which is usually the DSL internet port? RJ11 or RJ45

RJ45 splitter for one PC at a time [ 20 Answers ]

I would like to split one port of my router to two different wall jacks in different parts of the house. This is so I can use my laptop to either location without having to visit the junction box to enable the jack I want to use. I am using an RJ45 passthrough splitter and thought this could...

View more questions Search