Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertimlah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 11:06 PM
    Why wouldn't obama be a u.s. citizen even if kenya-born
    Sen. John mccain was born in panama but nobody questioned his u.s. citizenship because his parents were u.s. citizens.

Likewise, if pres. Obama were born in kenya, why wouldn't he also be a u.s. citizen because his mother was a u.s. citizen?

What is the law? Do BOTH parents have to be us citizens?

Can a single mother give birth to a us citizen while living or travelling abroad?

Thank you
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertimlah View Post
    sen. john mccain was born in panama but nobody questioned his u.s. citizenship because his parents were u.s. citizens.

likewise, if pres. obama were born in kenya, why wouldn't he also be a u.s. citizen because his mother was a u.s. citizen?

what is the law? do BOTH parents have to be us citizens?

can a single mother give birth to a us citizen while living or travelling abroad?

thank you
    The law is simple. You have to be born in the US to be eligible to be US President.

End of story.

And Obama was born in Hawaii, not Kenya. McCain was born in Panama in the Canal Zone, which was under US control at the time.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 06:14 AM

The constitution says that the president must be a "natural born citizen." The exact meaning of that phrase has never been fully defined, but most believe it means:

a. You are born in the US, or
    b. You are born in a US territory (this is what allowed Barry Goldwater to run for pres in 1964 - he was born in Arizona while it was still a territory), or
    c. You are born outside the US but both parents are US citizens - maybe. There is some controversy as to whether this really qualifies one to be called a "natural born US citizen." To help assuage any doubts about McCain's eligibility to run for pres, Congress passed a special resolution declaring him a citizen. For further info see: Natural born citizen of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if Obama had been born outside the US or its territories, since Obama's father was not a US citizen, he would not be considered a US citizen. But as cadillac59 says - we know that Obama was born in Hawaii, so end of story. However, this explains why there is so much noise from certain opponents of Obama who would like to prove that he was not born in Hawaii. See: snopes.com: Is Barack Obama a natural-born citizen of the U.S.?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 07:28 AM

Simple you have to be born on U.S. ground. Be it one of the fifty states or a military base of our's somewhere else.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:14 AM

We don't actually know just WHERE Obama was born. He has never produced his long hospital birth certificate showing what hospital and what attending physician. Until that time no one, not even "snopes" can accurately say just where he was born.

Why are there so many people clamoring for his long birth certificate if he was supposedly born in Hawaii? Makes no sense to hide the original if he was indeed born in Hawaii, but because he does not publicly disclose this document and spends a million dollars to conceal it, I for one, do not believe he was truly born in Hawaii, but elsewhere. Elsewhere where? I don't know.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:20 AM

There's an article I read about this...

The critic who wrote it made a decent argument as to why he's not showing his birth certificate. Simply enough, he says that even if Obama did show his birth certificate:

1) It's not that important. What, he's going to step down now? There are more important things to worry about.

2) Critics will claim that he had the White House "forge" a document... and he could, why not? He's the president.

3) It's not that important.
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:20 AM

There contiues to be misinformation out there about his birth cerytificate. Obama has in fact produced it - he did this before the election. You can see it for yourself here:
    FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

But there continues to be the conspiracy theory crowd who don't care about facts, and like to keep spreading falsehoods about Obama not producing his birth certificate. These folks need to let go and move on!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    There contiues to be misinformation out there about his birth cerytificate. Obama has in fact produced it - he did this before the election. You can see it for yourself here:
    FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

But there continues to be the conspiracy theory crowd who don't care about facts, and like to keep spreading falsehoods about Obama not producing his birth certificate. These folks need to let go and move on!
    Sorry but its not a fact it's a statement. Like so many others of that time it is the " short " form of a birth certificate. But not the actual certificate with corresponding names etc. Maybe Arnold will be next in line as president??
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    We don't actually know just WHERE Obama was born. He has never produced his long hospital birth certificate showing what hospital and what attending physician. Until that time no one, not even "snopes" can accurately say just where he was born.

Why are there so many people clamoring for his long birth certificate if he was supposedly born in Hawaii? Makes no sense to hide the original if he was indeed born in Hawaii, but because he does not publicly disclose this document and spends a million dollars to conceal it, I for one, do not believe he was truly born in Hawaii, but elsewhere. Elsewhere where? I don't know.
    YouTube - Kenyan Ambassador admits Obama born in Kenya
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 01:01 PM

I have tin foil hats for sale if anyone wants to purchase them just PM me. $20.00 a hat!! You people are too funny!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:46 AM

Why did his grandmother say she was present at his birth? Because she was. His mother is really Madelyn and not Stanley Ann. Stanley Ann was on the beach in Hawaii in a bikini in August 1961. How could she have miraculously given birth to him? Why no pregnancy photos of her? Grandmother Obama never stated just WHO was the mother who gave birth.

Why would he ignore his mother Stanley Ann's dying and instead go visit his grandmother Madelyn before her death? He did state he saw his real birth certificate among Stanley Ann's belongings.

I believe that Madelyn and not Stanley Ann was his real mother. Happened all the time back in the 1950's and 1960's. Barack Obama, Sr. was probably the correct father but wrong mother that we have been lead to believe. Madelyn had much more smarts than her daughter Stanley Ann did and could have pulled off the ruse. For Madelyn to have had a black child and still living in Hawaii with her husband Stanley would have been worse than scandalous considering she was a bank executive at the time.

As for tin foil hats, please. As for factcheck, please. Why is the government tap dancing around the fact there is something terribly wrong with Barack Obama's birth certificate? Because it would show who he really is and where he was really born. Honest people don't HIDE anything. Dishonest people HIDE everything they can.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 10:50 AM

Twinkie - you've got to get your conspiracy stories straight - are you now saying that Barrack's grandma is real his ma, and that she went to Kenya to give birth?

The problem with conspiracy throeries like this that they never can offer any proof, just conjcture. All you need do is produce one person who admits that they forfeited Obama's Hawaiian birth certificate, or that they lied when they placed the birth announcement in the Hawaii newspaper. Or someone who saw his grandma pregnant at the time.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Merely suggesting that something could have happened in a certain way doesn't mean it did happen that way. Where's your proof?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Twinkie - you've got to get your conspiracy stories straight - are you now saying that Barrack's grandma is real his ma, and that she went to Kenya to give birth??

The problem with conspiracy throeries like this that they never can offer any proof, just conjcture. All you need do is produce one person who admits that they forfeited Obama's Hawaiian birth certificate, or that they lied when they placed the birth announcement in the Hawaii newspaper. Or someone who saw his grandma pregnant at the time.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Merely suggesting that something could have happened in a certain way doesn't mean it did happen that way. Where's your proof?
    Here are a few facts that point to his being a natual born citizen in question. He may be a naturalized citizen but he doesn't qualify for natural born citizen because of time spent elsewhere.

obamacrimes - Home Page

Take a look and decide for yourself. In a random pole this morning at a radio station near me there was only 42% that believed that he is a natural born citizen and the rest was mostly split between no and undecided. I myself find it shocking that a majority don't know for sure.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertimlah View Post
    can a single mother give birth to a us citizen while living or travelling abroad?
    Hello robert:

Yes, and that would make that child a "natural born citizen" eligible for the presidency of the United States.. This nonsense about having to be PHYSICALLY born here to be president, is a lot of hooey.

I would, however, be pleased to be wrong, if someone could just direct me to the law that says otherwise.

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello robert:

Yes, and that would make that child a "natural born citizen" eligible for the presidency of the United States.. This nonsense about having to be PHYSICALLY born here to be president, is a lot of hooey.

I would, however, be pleased to be wrong, if someone could just direct me to the law that says otherwise.

excon
    Always happy to oblige my friend...

6.1. The U. S. Constitution and the President

Its written into the constitution.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Its written into the constitution.
    Hello dad:

Not necessarily... Black does NOT agree with wikki:

The requirements for citizenship, and its very definition in American statute law, have changed since the Constitution was ratified in 1788. Congress first recognized the citizenship of children born to U.S. parents overseas on March 26, 1790, stating that "the children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens: Provided, That the right of citizenship shall not descend to persons whose fathers have never been resident in the United States."

excon
    rookie231 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 03:48 PM

Does anyone think that if there was validity to this that the Clinton Mafia would not have found it? Cmon
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie231 View Post
    Does anyone think that if there was validity to this that the Clinton Mafia would not have found it? Cmon
    Hello rookie:

There's no thinking going on... It's pure racism. These people can't get over the fact that United States of American elected a black man as their president. So, they have to de-legitimize him any way they can, and that causes them to make up stuff.

excon
    rookie231 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 05:17 PM

Oh no, its not racism actually... he is still a fraud, just not the BC way. He showed last week, that HE is actually the racist
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello rookie:

There's no thinking going on... It's pure racism. These people can't get over the fact that United States of American elected a black man as their president. So, they have to de-legitimize him any way they can, and that causes them to make up stuff.

excon
    Racist ? No, you don't need to throw that label my way. The presidency is colorless to me because I believe in America. And until he is kicked out of office or loses an election or ends his term I still support the president no matter who is sitting in the seat.

When dealing with facts and law then that's when it breaks away. Its not about color.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm trying to move and work in Lisbon, Portugal from the US? I am a born US Citizen [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know everything about moving to Lisbon, PT and working there and all the forms I need to start processing to become a citizen of Portugal. I was born in CA, US but my grandparents and ancestry stem from Portugal roots. Both grandparents were born in Portugal and my grandmother died a...

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

If I have a US citizen baby born in 2008, does that make me [ 10 Answers ]

A resident alien ? Actually I am a student on F1 visa and came to USA in 2007. 4 days ago, a friend of mine advised me to fill out my tax return using the TURBO TAX. After submitting my application , some one told me I am not a resident alien and I am not supposed to use Turbo Tax, because that...

US born citizen wants to enter USA again? [ 1 Answers ]

A US citizen whose also holds Malaysian citizenship and Malayisia passport but without a US passport (when she first entered Malaysia, she followed her mom a Malaysian), now she would like to use her Malaysian passport and US birth cert to enter US, her country of birth, is she required to apply a...

US Citizen born in Germany--Can she get German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just a quick question about obtaining a German passport: My wife was born in Nuremberg, Germany. Her father was in the U.S. Army and stationed there at the time. She only has a USA passport. Is it possible for her to get a German passport, since she was born there? Thanks in...

View more questions Search