Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:51 PM

I don't know where he was born. But when we moved to PA, PA wouldn't accept our "birth certificates" because at the top the certificate said "Certificate of Live Birth" just like the one I keep seeing for Pres. Obama.
    We had to go to our home state and replacement certificate that did not refer to live birth.
    The present form on display for Pres. Obama may be sufficient to become POTUS, but he couldn't get a driver's license in PA with it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Racist ? No, you dont need to throw that label my way. The presidency is colorless to me because I believe in America. And until he is kicked out of office or loses an election or ends his term I still support the president no matter who is sitting in the seat.

When dealing with facts and law then thats when it breaks away. Its not about color.

Yes, I support Obama a lot more than those who hated Bush supported him while he was in office.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:22 PM

From usconstitution.net --

Natural-born citizen

Who is a natural-born citizen? Who, in other words, is a citizen at birth, such that that person can be a President someday?

The 14th Amendment defines citizenship this way: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside." But even this does not get specific enough. As usual, the Constitution provides the framework for the law, but it is the law that fills in the gaps.

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

* Anyone born inside the United States *
    * Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
    * Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S. as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
    * Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
    * Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
    * Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
    * Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
    * A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.

* There is an exception in the law — the person must be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States. This would exempt the child of a diplomat, for example, from this provision.

Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President. These provisions allow the children of military families to be considered natural-born, for example.

Separate sections handle territories that the United States has acquired over time, such as Puerto Rico (8 USC 1402), Alaska (8 USC 1404), Hawaii (8 USC 1405), the U.S. Virgin Islands (8 USC 1406), and Guam (8 USC 1407). Each of these sections confer citizenship on persons living in these territories as of a certain date, and usually confer natural-born status on persons born in those territories after that date. For example, for Puerto Rico, all persons born in Puerto Rico between April 11, 1899, and January 12, 1941, are automatically conferred citizenship as of the date the law was signed by the President (June 27, 1952). Additionally, all persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941, are natural-born citizens of the United States. Note that because of when the law was passed, for some, the natural-born status was retroactive.

The law contains one other section of historical note, concerning the Panama Canal Zone and the nation of Panama. In 8 USC 1403, the law states that anyone born in the Canal Zone or in Panama itself, on or after February 26, 1904, to a mother and/or father who is a United States citizen, was "declared" to be a United States citizen. Note that the terms "natural-born" or "citizen at birth" are missing from this section.

In 2008, when Arizona Senator John McCain ran for president on the Republican ticket, some theorized that because McCain was born in the Canal Zone, he was not actually qualified to be president. However, it should be noted that section 1403 was written to apply to a small group of people to whom section 1401 did not apply. McCain is a natural-born citizen under 8 USC 1401(c): "a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents both of whom are citizens of the United States and one of whom has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions, prior to the birth of such person." Not everyone agrees that this section includes McCain — but absent a court ruling either way, we must presume citizenship.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:31 PM

Barack Obama's birth was noted in the August 13, 1961, Honolulu Advertiser's "Births, Deaths, Marriages" column. Did the conspiracy begin then?

Let's say for one crazy moment that Obama is not a U.S. citizen, that the "birthers" are right. Do you want him removed from office immediately so J0e Biden can take over? Do you want a whole new election? Or should John McCain and Sarah Palin be awarded the White House via "forfeit"? Finally, take a moment to tap into your calm, sane, rational, logical mind, and riddle me this: Do you sincerely believe Obama was born outside this country and has lied about it for years, knowing all along that if just one hospital employee or disgruntled staffer or estranged friend or opportunistic family member breaks ranks with the conspiracy, his career would crash and burn? (from Richard Roeper's column, Chicago Sun-Times, 07/29/09)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Barack Obama's birth was noted in the August 13, 1961, Honolulu Advertiser's "Births, Deaths, Marriages" column. Did the conspiracy begin then?

Let's say for one crazy moment that Obama is not a U.S. citizen, that the "birthers" are right. Do you want him removed from office immediately so J0e Biden can take over? Do you want a whole new election? Or should John McCain and Sarah Palin be awarded the White House via "forfeit"? Finally, take a moment to tap into your calm, sane, rational, logical mind, and riddle me this: Do you sincerely believe Obama was born outside this country and has lied about it for years, knowing all along that if just one hospital employee or disgruntled staffer or estranged friend or opportunistic family member breaks ranks with the conspiracy, his career would crash and burn? (from Richard Roeper's column, Chicago Sun-Times, 07/29/09)
    People don't remember back that far because babies are born every day. But according to even Obama sources he was born in at least 2 hospitals ? What I would like to see is what is legal and not set a precident of someone not meeting the requirements of office be in office. Would that mean if it were proven he didn't meet them I would want McCain Pallin in office ? No. That wouldn't be close to right. It would be the same rules as an impeachment with full ramifications and a the vice president would take over and the party chooses a new VP. When you asked about a family member do you think his own grandmother is in that category ? She has stated he was born in Kenya. I for one would like to see the records open and less divisiveness going on. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.
    rookie231 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 07:26 PM
    No, even worse. Biden would be disqualified due to an invalid election... next in line, NANCY PELOSI!!
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie231 View Post
    No, even worse. Biden would be disqualified due to an invalid election....next in line, NANCY PELOSI!!!!
    No. The election is valid. The process continues. Its only the person being disqualified.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:59 PM

I refuse to take part in this conspiracy-theory, crack pot, right-wing, ultra-conservative Republican, and ultimately fascist babble about whether Obama was really born in Hawaii.

Next thing you know these wackos are going to be arguing that Hawaii was never officially admitted to the Union and thus Obama should be removed from office as not being native-born (of course these same nut cases aren't a bit concerned that McCain was born in the former Panama Canal Zone!--interesting isn't it?)

Let these nut cases take the debate elsewhere. That's not what this board is for.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    I refuse to take part in this
    You just did ;-).
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    I refuse to take part in this conspiracy-theory, crack pot, right-wing, ultra-conservative Republican, and ultimately fascist babble about whether Obama was really born in Hawaii.

Next thing you know these wackos are going to be arguing that Hawaii was never officially admitted to the Union and thus Obama should be removed from office as not being native-born (of course these same nut cases aren't a bit concerned that McCain was born in the former Panama Canal Zone!--interesting isn't it?)

Let these nut cases take the debate elsewhere. That's not what this board is for.
    Well for refusing your sure making noise : )

There are already rules on the books for U.S. controlled territories so that part ia already cleared. As far as McCain goes when it was in question the documents pertaining to it were shown and even went so far as congress passing a bill stating he was a legal citizen. He was born on U.S. territory just as if he were born on a military base.

So were still at square one.. lol
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 01:28 PM

And it just goes on and on.. when will it end ?

Is this really smoking gun of Obama's Kenyan birth?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 01:50 PM

What a conveniently timed story... You crazies really have it together on this one.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    What a conveniently timed story....You crazies really have it together on this one.
    I notice that 2 times so far you have only made snide comments rather then participate in anything close to discussion.

My point in posting it was that it only continues. It just amazes me. So what's the point of your posts ?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 09:12 AM

To call this post crazy. Let me ask you do you believe all the crazy conspiracy sites about 9-11. I bet you don't, But you will believe this BS because you want it to be true so badly you can taste it. Look fact is (and I think someone already said this) If this were true Clinton would have been all over it and you know it.

And I have to say for that paper being 48 years old it is awfully white. No yellowing at all. Who would have thought Kenya kept documents so air tight.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:56 AM
    And it just goes on and on .. when will it end ?
    Hello dad:

Uhhhh, NOW?? But, probably not. Facts don't seem to deter this movement.

The NEW birth certificate has the incorrect age of Obama's father, the incorrect name of Kenya, and the hospital named wasn't IN Kenya.

You aren't alone in your disbelief, though. 58% of Republicans either don't think Obama is eligible to be president or don't know...

THAT is what's unbelievable!!

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 01:36 PM
    To call this post crazy. Let me ask you do you believe all the crazy conspiracy sites about 9-11. I bet you don't, But you will believe this BS because you want it to be true so badly you can taste it. Look fact is (and I think someone already said this) If this were true Clinton would have been all over it and you know it.

And I have to say for that paper being 48 years old it is awfully white. No yellowing at all. Who would have thought Kenya kept documents so air tight.
    As far as my beliefs in conspiracies in general I don't think the sky is falling. But Im just amazed at the overwhelming force that is keeping records secret rather then just open them up and see where the chips fall. Why spend 1 million dollars hiding if there is nothing to hide ? Why not let the facts speak for themselves. That's what I would like to see.

As far as Clinton. Follow the money at the time. She was too broke to do anything. She was millions in the hole from her own pocket from her running for president. So when you look at it from that end its possible that nothing could have been done and now its too late.

I would like to see an end to all this because too many just aren't sure. That's bad for this country.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello dad:

Uhhhh, NOW??? But, probably not. Facts don't seem to deter this movement.

The NEW birth certificate has the incorrect age of Obama's father, the incorrect name of Kenya, and the hospital named wasn't IN Kenya.

You aren't alone in your disbelief, though. 58% of Republicans either don't think Obama is eligible to be president or don't know...

THAT is what's unbelievable!!!

excon
    I agree. That's way too many that have doubt. Its something I have never seen in my lifetime. I hope someday everything gets settled.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 01:55 PM

But Cali wouldn't she have jumped on it at the beginning when her campaign had the cash? Why didn't McCains people do something about it during the primaries when he had the rights primary wrapped up.

When Bill lied under oath the right jumped all over that and held impeachment trails. Where are the trails? Where is the official investigation. Or maybe just maybe the right already investigated this and realized it was BS.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Why spend 1 million dollars hiding if there is nothing to hide ? Why not let the facts speak for themselves. Thats what I would like to see.
    Hello again, dad:

That's the mantra, isn't it? The FACT that he disclosed his birth certificate isn't enough. I can't imagine what other stuff you think he's hiding. The only thing I have to prove I'm an American is my birth certificate. What? You have others?? You do?? Why are you hiding them?

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 02:40 PM
    But Cali wouldn't she have jumped on it at the beginning when her campaign had the cash? Why didn't McCains people do something about it during the primaries when he had the rights primary wrapped up.

When Bill lied under oath the right jumped all over that and held impeachment trails. Where are the trails? Where is the official investigation. Or maybe just maybe the right already investigated this and realized it was BS.
    There has been no trial there was a hearing and the trial was disallowed by the supreme court because of an individual not being able to bring suit forth so there was no judicial force for documentation. The claim is that a private citizen is not entitled to challenge. And its not just about the birth certificate its about citizenship. Its just a big mess.

BTW: I appreciate that you returned with more then just snide comments and helped turn it back into a debate thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm trying to move and work in Lisbon, Portugal from the US? I am a born US Citizen [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know everything about moving to Lisbon, PT and working there and all the forms I need to start processing to become a citizen of Portugal. I was born in CA, US but my grandparents and ancestry stem from Portugal roots. Both grandparents were born in Portugal and my grandmother died a...

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

If I have a US citizen baby born in 2008, does that make me [ 10 Answers ]

A resident alien ? Actually I am a student on F1 visa and came to USA in 2007. 4 days ago, a friend of mine advised me to fill out my tax return using the TURBO TAX. After submitting my application , some one told me I am not a resident alien and I am not supposed to use Turbo Tax, because that...

US born citizen wants to enter USA again? [ 1 Answers ]

A US citizen whose also holds Malaysian citizenship and Malayisia passport but without a US passport (when she first entered Malaysia, she followed her mom a Malaysian), now she would like to use her Malaysian passport and US birth cert to enter US, her country of birth, is she required to apply a...

US Citizen born in Germany--Can she get German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just a quick question about obtaining a German passport: My wife was born in Nuremberg, Germany. Her father was in the U.S. Army and stationed there at the time. She only has a USA passport. Is it possible for her to get a German passport, since she was born there? Thanks in...

View more questions Search