Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 03:00 PM
    How to Replace Outer Tie-Rod Ends
    This procedure is applicable to most cars and trucks.

1. Loosen lug nuts, raise vehicle, and support securely on jack stands. Remove front wheels.

2. Turn steering wheel all the way to the right (left), to remove the outer tie-rod end on the driver's (passenger's) side.

3. Attach pipe wrench (best), Channellock pliers, or Vise-Grips to the splined or grooved portion of the tie-rod. This will prevent damaging the inner tie-rod end.

4. Spray the jam nut with Kroil, PB Blaster, or Liquid Wrench. Allow it to soak and spray it again. This nut can be very stubborn. Attach a large adjustable wrench, flare nut wrench (21 mm), or crowfoot wrench (21 mm) to break the jam nut loose. Major Trick: To get greater leverage with your existing wrench, slip a large deep socket over the wrench. Attach a 10-inch extension bar or breaker bar to the socket, for a handle. This takes the place of slipping a pipe over the wrench. Now, you can do some "serious damage." Some may prefer to apply heat.

5. Break loose the jam nut, by holding the pipe wrench with one hand and the lengthened adjustable, flare nut, or crowfoot wrench in the other.

6. Back-off completely the jam nut and mark the position of the outer tie-rod end. There are three methods: 1) mark the position with paint, 2) count the number of turns it takes to remove the outer tie-rod end from the tie-rod, and 3) measure the distance from a reference point (e.g., the edge of a completely backed-off jam nut) to the center of the grease fitting, using a Vernier Caliper. Method 3 (TxGreaseMonkey's preferred method) is a Trick, which may eliminate the need to have the car realigned (if it's done very precisely). Most FWD vehicles are "toe and go," anyhow. Use all three methods and you'll see that Method 3 is unquestionably the best.

7. Remove and discard the cotter pin. Loosen the outer tie-rod end ballstud nut.

8. Separate the outer tie-rod end from the steering knuckle with a puller.

9. Remove the ballstud nut, detach the outer tie-rod end from the knuckle, and unscrew the outer tie-rod end from the tie-rod.

10. Install the new outer tie-rod end to the paint mark, number of turns it took to remove the outer tie-rod end, or reference point distance on the tie-rod.

11. Coat (lightly) the inside of steering knuckle hole with grease, to prevent corrosion. Insert outer tie-rod ballstud into the steering knuckle and tighten the jam nut.

12. Install new castellated ballstud nut and tighten 35 lb.-ft.

13. Install new cotter pin properly in the castellated nut--one trimmed tang bent up and the other tang bent down and across the end of the ballstud.

14. Grease the outer tie-rod end with NLGI #2 synthetic grease; e.g. Mobil 1, Amsoil (GLC), or Valvoline SynPower.

15. Install wheel, lower vehicle, and torque each lug nut to 95 lb.-ft.

16. Decide whether to have the vehicle realigned.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is this outer space creature? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, Last night my son (age 6) is asking me the name of the outer space creature he saw on my PC. I am wondering if someone could tell me if it comes from a movie plus the name of the creature? http://i34.tinypic.com/2qjbq6c.jpg Thank you in advance for your help. AmCiAn

Outer Body Experience [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can help me understand my dream. I dreamt that I woke up and my son came into my room, there was two of him. I realised that I was dreaming then looked at the mirror in my room and saw my body on my bed, I jumped into my bed and woke up, I then saw my dog go out...

Language in lease ends when lease ends [ 4 Answers ]

Signed a lease for 18 months which states that when lease ends it will go month to month with thirty days notice. When lease ended we did not sign new lease landlord said he would like to keep it month to month. We gave 30 days notice but he said we were to give 60 days instead. Florida statue...

The outer ring of venus? [ 1 Answers ]

Reacurring dream that my brother and I go through this glowing ball of light and end up in a diff world, People use their minds to speak and also can do things with their minds I was driving something like a car and the people behind us were making the wheel hard to minipulate. Also they were...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.