Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carroldeolal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Crossing the border
    Can I cross the border into Canada and return to the US on my green card only? My passport expired in May 2009 and is in the process of renewing.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:38 PM

If your green card has a picture of you and current data, I don't think that will be a problem. I still think your valid drivers license, with picture, is enough to get into Canada at the moment. We are told, here in Canada, that to visit the US we must have a passport or the new encrypted drivers license with picture. You may want to telephone immigration to see if this information is up dated or changed.

Tick
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

Actually tick, starting July of 2009, when crossing between US and Canada, immigrations has made showing of passport a requirement.

The Embassy of the United States of America - Canada

I have heard of people getting back in the US with just a green card, but since the new law, I haven't heard much of this happening. I would definitely check with border patrol and immigration for a specific case in which you apply, where your passport is in the process of being renewed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If your green card has a picture of you and current data, I dont think that will be a problem. I still think your valid drivers license, with picture, is enough to get into Canada at the moment. We are told, here in Canada, that to visit the US we must have a passport or the new encrypted drivers license with picture. You may want to telephone immigration to see if this information is up dated or changed.

tick

Actually to cross you have to show a passport or an enhanced drivers license. A drivers license is no longer sufficient.

There is no need to call Immigration - the info is readily available on line. DHS | Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the information you two. Only my son has a requirement to go down on business, but he has an up to date passport. However,ourr dollar is getting stronger, so am waiting for my enhanced drivers license, and there is a waiting list now, about 2 months.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian Status Cards and Border Crossing [ 6 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you can still use an Indian Status card for travel to the US, and if so what would be the secondary piece of ID to use if the Status card is primary?

Border crossing with a felony [ 6 Answers ]

If you have a dwi in canada 9 years old and you have an indian status card can you still cross over the U.S border for a visit

Border crossing into Canada [ 7 Answers ]

I have a misdemeanour and the alleged events happened in May 1995, but the Canadian authorities are equating this to a Canadian law that wasn't passed until 1997... is this legal? I ask because they are counting this misdemeanour as a "serious" criminal offense. Just doesn't seem fair to do that.

Crossing the candian border [ 1 Answers ]

OK my name is Matt... I am on probation for possession and distribution for 2 years. I live a little outside of Detroit, MI and I used to go to canada to gamble and drink. I know friends that have gotten across the border while on probation which I also no is illegal. My question is if I go...

Usa border crossing [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a metis I have a status card, my quistion is I tried cross the usa border and was refused enter,, they said I did'nt look indain and it might be a fake card,, I have documents going back 13 generations my mom birth card her statis card and my brothers to my mom and brothers are a photo copy of...

View more questions Search