Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MicahNSac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 11:08 AM
    A/C Circuit Breaker Tripping
    Our A/C circuit breaker started tripping as the weather got hotter. It got to the point where it would trip after the A/C being on for less than a minute. I reset all the breakers, pulled the filters out of the vents and it continued to trip. The breaker would be very hot when I would check on it. We finally had a service call (through the feet-dragging property management company) and the A/C repairman ran some tests, and said the compressor was bad and tripping the breaker. The compressor was replaced and after cooling the house down 4 or 5 degrees later that day, it started tripping again. Where do I go from here as I am suspecting this could be an electrical problem?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:16 AM

Could be a defective breaker, or a simple loose connection at the breaker, which would cause heat that will migrate into the breaker and give a false trip.

Sounds like a call into the A/C repairman is in order.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 27, 2009, 11:20 AM

I agree its more than likely loose connections at breaker or disconect box or bad breaker. Good chance the compressor wasn't bad that was replaced.
    MicahNSac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 11:29 AM

Wonderful. I called him again so he is going to bring a new breaker out. It is a 40 amp breaker and the unit is supposed to pull about 13 amps. Hopefull this will be an end to the 90 degree temp... indoors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

Circuit breaker keep tripping [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, The problem is that the breaker trips and I cannot reset it, but after a few hours sometimes I can reset it but then it will trip again then when I try to reset it the breaker arc and woun't reset. Help!!

AC Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

My Trane AHU/CU cools great except that twice in the last 2 weeks the circuit breaker has tripped. Both times I have noticed it has got hotter in the house, I go out in the garage and the AHU Blower is blowing but the CU is not running. I check the panel and the circuit breaker is tripped. I reset...

Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 1 Answers ]

We have installed a electrical box on the home that houses a 20 amp fuse w:gfi off the meter, then ran the wires to a outdoor box w: a gfi plug & a on/off switch. Seems to be wired correctly, but the 20 amp fuse keeps tripping. Thank You in Advance for any help, Michael

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

View more questions Search