Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
    XP User Screen
    I don't know if it's proper to call this a splash screen or not. I don't mean the thing that shows when Windows is loading. But the screen that has the user names and the little pics you have to click on to get into the desktop and finish loading some stuff. (The same one that comes up after I wake the monitor back up.) I'm the only user and I'm tired of that screen. Plus there's stuff that doesn't finish loading until I'm past that.

It actually isn't there when I first install XP. But some program or other is making that screen come up after I install it - just haven't noticed which one. It might be Ghost, which also makes me install the .NET framework.

Anyone know how to make it stop doing that and just go to the desktop? I'm comfortable using the command prompt, replacing system files, even getting into the registry, whatever.

P.S. SP2 if that makes any difference?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:11 AM

The login screen

To Login automatically to a user account, follow the instructions below:

1) Click on Run
    2) Type in the following command and click OK

Control userpasswords2

3) Highlight the user you want to log into automatically, then uncheck the box for

"Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

4) Click on Apply and you'll be asked to verify the username and password to log in automatically

5) Click OK and the next time you restart your computer, you'll automatically be logged in without having the classic prompt or Welcome Screen.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

One of the first things I do when installing OS, glad it worked out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Screen and icons unable to get screen back to normal size [ 3 Answers ]

I have been unable to get my screen back to normal size, everyone else that logs in hah no problem but my Icons are to large as well as my back ground I am unable to read my emails and of course I am very fustrated, can you please help me?

Screen and icons unable to get screen back to normal size [ 2 Answers ]

I have been unable to get my screen back to normal size, everyone else that logs in hah no problem but my Icons are to large as well as my back ground I am unable to read my emails and of course I am very fustrated, can you please help me?

Change the way user log on or off in user account [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I re-installed my operating system recently . I wanted to change my display screen if I go to the user accounts and click the option which is CHANGE THE WAY USER LOG ON OR OFF it displays a message saying that CLIENT SERVER FOR NETWARE HAS DISABLED THE WELCOME SCREEN AND FAST USER...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

View more questions Search