Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Davinduck2701 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 09:08 PM
    New Pup has the poops!
    I just bought a Miniature Long Haired Dachshund puppy from a breeder out of North Carolina. He is ten weeks old and looked healthy and happy when I picked up this puppy from the original breeder. He puppy did come with a shot record and is AKC registered. I was told by the breeder that this puppy had been eating Purina Puppy Chow and so I went out and bought the same thing so I did not upset the puppy's stomach by changing his food. The puppy's stool was pretty normal the first few days and then all of a sudden the puppy ended up with very lose bowels not to mention frequent visits out doors for this grand event. He puppy has had a few accidents and pooped in my floor three times and does urinate half the time on the puppy pads. I end up taking the new puppy out about 6-8 times a day to potty and every single time he positions to poop he stays in this position pooping from 2 to 4 minutes and sometimes he will poop and stop and then position to go again a few minutes later. I just don't understand why this puppy is going so much and why the bowels are so lose. Another thing that concerned me (which only happened twice) was that one of the times the puppy started jerking after pooping like it was trying to throw up or something for several minutes and you could see his whole stomach going way in and out. I finally grabbed it up to see if it was choking on something but it wasn't nothing and no vomit so I was wondering if this pup was having some sort of seizure. My son who is seven did tote the puppy around for days when we first got it but I made the kids leave the puppy alone until the lose stools are gone and to see if maybe holding it too much was making this puppy ill. The puppy does have a good balance of sleep, activity and play energy. We do take him out to the yard and run him around since he spends a lot of time in the puppy crate after popping and peeing all in my carpet and this pup will remain in his crate until I can get him potty trained.

Is there anyone who has soild information about this breed and the habbits? Links about this breed would be appreciated.

I do have this pup signed up for a vet visit and 12 week shots on the 30th of this month but until then I need good soild information and advice since I am not fimilar with this breed.

Thanks in advance.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 09:40 PM

You should have done the research before getting the pup.

Puppies, like babies, sometimes have looser stool and frequent trips to potty are normal. Is the stool loose or runny? Runny stool is usually a sign of illness, as is vomiting.

As for the potty training and crating. Keep in mind that a puppy should not be kept crated all day. He's 10 weeks old, he should be crated no longer the 1 or 2 hours at a time, not counting bed time.

When you take him outside pick a word to signal he needs to potty. I use "potty" say it until he does his thing then praise him like he's just won an Oscar. He'll catch on. He's still a bit young, so be patient.

As for the breed, I don't know a lot. We do have a Dachshund owner and I believe breeder on this site so check back, hopefully he'll come on and give you some tips on the breed.

Good luck.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 03:41 AM

Sounds like worms or giardia (sp?) take him to the vet now. Little guys can't lose too much fluid without getting into trouble
    Davinduck2701 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 05:34 AM
    As for researching the puppy before buying, I did do that but in my search I was not focused on what if situations such as the runny stools. I researched things such as potty training, temperament and typical care aside from potenial problems that may or may not arise. Mind you I am in no way a puppy expert and that is why I am here asking others if they have had this problem and basically in so many words if this may be typical for a puppy of this age. One thing the internet did not tell me was that I was NOT supposed to walk my puppy or let it come in contact with other dogs until it has ALL of it's shots even though the puppy is up-to-date on his shots as the vet just stated to me over the phone. As for the crate, let me re-word what I was trying to say: I have two young children who are 7 and 3 so rather than letting the puppy with runny stools run all over my house pooping everywhere and my kids getting stool on them I do kept this puppy in it's crate several hours a day with the door open but he is on a very long leash attached to the crate so that he can move around freely within a small area of the kitchen. This way he still can walk around, play and have human interaction which is important in the young stage for it's social development. I will allow the puppy to roam freely around the house and play with the kids as he was once doing after we find out what is wrong with this puppy on the 30th of July during the vet visit. The vet recommended that I put down a small amount of food twice a day, letting the puppy eat for five continuious minutes each time and then take up the food. The Vet said to give Kaopekate every four hours to help the runny stools and if does not help to call them back tomorrow to get worked in for an ER visit.

Now, if anyone here has been through a similar issue please by all means please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    You should have done the research before getting the pup.

Puppies, like babies, sometimes have looser stool and frequent trips to potty are normal. Is the stool loose or runny? Runny stool is usually a sign of illness, as is vomiting.

As for the potty training and crating. Keep in mind that a puppy should not be kept crated all day. He's 10 weeks old, he should be crated no longer the 1 or 2 hours at a time, not counting bed time.

When you take him outside pick a word to signal he needs to potty. I use "potty" say it until he does his thing then praise him like he's just won an Oscar. He'll catch on. He's still a bit young, so be patient.

As for the breed, I don't know alot. We do have a Dachshund owner and I believe breeder on this site so check back, hopefully he'll come on and give you some tips on the breed.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog poops blood [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. My name is amanda.. I just bought a malshipoo puppy and I have noticed that for a few days, he had bright red blood in his stool.. is this a sign of worms? Please help! This is my first pet. Thank you!

Dog poops when alone [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 4 year old pointer mix, had her about a year. Normally we keep her in a kennel when we leave the house. A few times we didn't and twice she has gotten out of the kennel, and she always pees and poops. She never does this when we're home, and we are sure to let her out every morning before...

Poops bad [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 58 day old Shih tzu, he is having a problem pooping , he goes just it seems like he is not done. At times blood come at the end of his job. Took him to the vet and he was OK at check up . Does anyone know what it could be.

My Cav pees and poops [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who is the most adorable. He is potty trained though not completely reliable. He won't mess on my main level however he will go to the basement and do his job. For the most part he goes to the door and sits down or scratches the door to be let...

Dashie poops on bed [ 2 Answers ]

I have two dashies.aged 2 and 1. Both are housebroken and we rarely have accidents. BUT if I leave my bedroom open my youngest will poop on the bed! Without fail (its a futon by the way 4cm off the floor). Nowhere else does this ever happen. And (I know its bad but... ) they sleep with me as hubby...

View more questions Search