Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cochise7969 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2
    -

Jul 26, 2009, 09:01 PM
    19" rack what and where is this.
    My company is expanding and I need a bigger wall mount rack about 4 feet but I've only found ones with a 12 inch depth I need something more. HELP! :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 10:48 PM

At this point, your probably going to need an enclosed rack which is free standing enclosure or you can use a relay frame in the center of a small room.

Here is a wall rack with 4' height with a 16" depth.

http://www.budind.com/communications_cabinets.shtml
    -

Jul 27, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Thanks for the BUD info, Looks like I'm going to get it from these guys since I can buy online and there not to far from me. These rack are heavy so I don't want to pay too much for freight.

Racks, Enclosures & Accessories

Now what about mounting to the wall I'm ordering one that 19" wide 48" high and 18" deep are drywall anchors going to hold it up? :eek:
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:40 PM

I think you need to attach to studs. Metal or wood?
    -

Jul 27, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Thanks I'm going to just have the electrician install it.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 02:17 PM

Good move. I've done the same when installing a toxic gas alarm system. They put the conduits, risers, raceways etc. in.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cochise7969 View Post
    Thanks for the BUD info, Looks like I'm gonna get it from these guys since I can buy online and there not to far from me. These rack are heavy so I don't want to pay too much for freight.

Racks, Enclosures & Accessories

Now what about mounting to the wall I'm ordering one that 19" wide 48" high and 18" deep are drywall anchors going to hold it up? :eek:
    Drywall anchors? Absolutely not. They may be enough to support the rack EMPTY.

We take 3/4" plywood sheets and screw it to the wall studs and then mount our equipment to the plywood. This gives you a way to easily mount D-Rings to organize your cabling as well. If it is a telco closet, you can wall mount your 66-blocks as well.
    -

Jul 29, 2009, 04:16 PM

It's going to be mounted on concrete? I don't think that's where these racks get mounted on usually but it's just a temporarily thing. The equipment is not that deep so a 12" depth is fine. This is the one I ordered. Fixed Wall Mount Rack 42"H by 12"D My electrician has disappeared so I might have to install it myself. Don't you love contractors :( So any pointers on mounting it into concrete will help.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:10 PM

These are my favorite:

Wedge Anchors Selection and Installation Instructions- Concrete Fasteners.com

You'll have to figure out how many you need based on weight and specifications of the anchor.

If this is cinderblock, then you have to be careful not to hit part of a rib. I've used a stud finder to locate the ribs in concrete block.

The tighter you tighten these anchors, the tighter they get. In other words, they don't loosen easily at all.

Something that's done a lot is to mount a piece of Unistrut (Strut for short) which will push things out about 1-5/8 of an inch or so and then bolt to the strut. It makes things a lot easier because you have infinate adjustment in the horizontal direction because of the strut nuts.

See: General Fasteners: Barnhill Bolt Co., Inc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Origin of "Relay Rack" [ 2 Answers ]

Most networking cabinets and enclosures on the market today are termed "relay racks" in marketing literature. I received an email advertisement from a vendor for one today and began wondering why they are named as such. I've never seen any sort of relay installed in one. Wikipedia has this picture...

View more questions Search