Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkdeveloper Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 03:31 PM
    J1 Visa tax
    Hi,

I am about to start as a trainee (Finance and System Technologies) in NY on a J1 Visa. (18 month).
    I normally live in Denmark. Denmark has a rule, that states that if I stay in US more that 6 months, then I am free of danish tax.

1) I would like to know what percentage taxes I am going to pay in NY?

2) My employee will pay for my accommodation in US.
    Is this a taxable benefit? What tax percentage?

I have my own apartment in Denmark.
    I will pay for my danish apartment for my entire stay in US.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 01:18 PM
    If you are maintaining an apartment in Denmark, then the apartment in NY is a tax-free benefit.

Need to know how much you are being paid to determine percentages.

I would have to research it to be sure, but I suspect that your pay will be subject to U.S. income taxes given the fact that your J-1 visa is for a corporate/private company (vice a university).

I believe that you should be exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Oct 22, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Hi,

I also think that I will pay federal and state taxes, but not medicare and social security tax.

How do a calculate the total tax?
    Are medicare and social security tax included in the federal tax?
    Are J-1 Visa holders eliagable to a tax deduction?

Looking at Tax Tables, the Federal Income Tax for me is 28% ($74,201 - $154,800) and NY state tax is 6.850% ($20,001 - $100,000).

I will do training in Finance and System Technologies for a private company.

Thanks
    Regards

Thomas
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Thomas:

Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%) are flat taxes. The Social Security stops at $90,000 for 2006 and $97,000 for 2007.

If you file as a resident alien, you will be authorized a personal exemption of $3,300 and a Standard Deduction of $5,150. Hence, the first $8,450 is tax-free.

If you file as a non-resident alien, you get the $3,330 personal exemption, but NO standard deduction. You can, however, deduct any NY state and NY City income taxes that will be withheld from your salary. Given the levels of pay you are talking about, it is likely these taxes will exceed the $5,150 standard deduction.

Oct 23, 2006, 01:09 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for you help.

I have a few other questions.

1) If I don't pay Social Security and Medicare tax, will my total tax percent then be 34.850% (28.0 + 6.850%) ?
    2) What kind of tax will I pay for my paid accommodation in US. (paid by my employee)

Again, thanks.

Regards
    Thomas
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 23, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Thomas:

1) 34.85% sounds about right, but it will not be exactly that amount because the personal exemptions and other deductions available to you. I expect the correct amount will be closer to 30%. If you send me your projected 2006 salary, I can do a more-precise strawman return for you.

2) None. Because you are maintaining an apartment in Denmark, the paid accommation is considered part of your non-taxable per diem that is reimbursement for your temporary living expenses in the United States.

Oct 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Hi again,

Thanks for all your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa, tax exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please...

Tax on L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am from India and going to US for 3 year , for this financial year I will be in US for 3 months (90 days) , as my period is 90 days (less than 90 days) do I need to pay tax or even if I pay tax will I get the tax back as return. Please advice. Cheers, Nipun

Tax on H1-B visa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, Presently, I am single, from India, starting to work as a post-doctoral associate, in a university (non-profit organization).The designation is of employee status in the university. I am paid 37K per annum plus for my medicare. How much I may have to pay as my taxes annually, when...

H4 Visa Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1B visa since June 2004. Before that I was on F1 visa from 2001 to 2004. I got married in May 2005 and my wife came to US on H4 visa in July 2005. She has not been working. I understand that I will have to apply with form W7 to get ITIN for my wife as she is not eligible for...

L-1 Visa Tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005. I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay...

View more questions Search