Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassy2u Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Essay Critique
    Hi! I am having a hard time with a professor because he does not like my overly complicated writing style. Could someone in the know about these things please read my essay and tell my how you would make it simpler? Thanks so much

The Rest Cure: The Prescription of Conscription to Conformity
    The collective feminist struggle for recognition as more than reproductive, servile beings is a theme that is often documented in literature. Many groundbreaking works have been penned by trailblazing women with enough courage to expose the stifling cultural climate within which they subsist. The Yellow Wallpaper, a short story written in the last decade of the nineteenth century by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, has remained popular with generations of female readers for its powerful context containing a timeless relevance. This tale explores the epidemic of neurasthenia plaguing an unhappy housewife and the contrived methods advocated in order to cure her disease. The concept of the perfectly subservient domestic woman is an idealistic archetype perpetuated by cultural convictions that little girls should be conscripted to a life encompassing seamlessly fostered training and ingrained acquiescence as she transitions from one household, that of her family, to the next, that of her husband. However, retaining one’s sanity is not easy under such prescribed restraints and in The Yellow Wallpaper, Gilman renders the disillusionment women suffer from such paternalistic inequality among the sexes.
    This impressive short story involves a troubled new mother, the narrator, with a decided case of neurasthenia that can only be sufficiently cured by that which serves to throw her further into morbid depression. The affliction is described by her husband as “temporary nervous depression-a slight hysterical tendency” (Gilman 644). In conjunction with a prominent male doctor of the day, the husband and brother of the afflicted woman, also physicians, prescribe the rest cure which is typical of the Victorian period. An oppressive climate for women, the Victorian era proved worse for those with an acute awareness of the severe restriction imposed upon every facet of their lives. The domestic woman is handled much like a domesticated animal with those most prized having little spirit for disobedience as well as easy acceptance of authority. When conformity is not wholeheartedly accepted, the “rest cure” is the manner in which the wayward woman is to be made well. This so-called rest cure is fraught with chauvinistic ideals regarding the appropriate behavior a polite woman should preserve to display her impeccable training. With the purpose of becoming cured, the protagonist of The Yellow Wallpaper must be excluded from social gatherings and is therefore in seclusion inside a mysterious home with compelling wallpaper that serves to symbolize the incarcerating characteristics of societal oppression, tainting everything it comes near with stain and stench. This remedy also involves the prohibition of all writing, which troubles the disconcerted narrator as she describes the exhaustion she incurs from the illicit inscriptions she manages in secret. In one of these forbidden journal entries, the woman depicts her writing as her only salvation as she laments “I must say what I feel and think in some way – it is such a relief” (Gilman 650). She is aware of the fact that her true feelings are of the quality best kept unspoken.
    The concept of wellness is one that can be discerned as dichotomous, as the path to good health prescribed by all of the characters in this short story, aside from the protagonist, is the rest cure. The author reveals much about the power of the majority by inserting a subservient female, Jennie, into the plot as an example of the eminence and inevitability of societal trappings on the oppressed female population. Jennie represents the epitome of the true woman archetype and she also serves as an illustration of the outcome the rest cure is meant to bring about. Jennie does not question her place in society; rather she embraces her domesticity as “a perfect and enthusiastic housekeeper.” Jennie is not troubled by the complex disillusion that plagues the narrator. Instead, Jennie is fully entrenched in her predestined role, even offering up advice that resembles that of the male physicians in this story. The narrator perceives Jennie as part of the opposition for her cooperation with the prescribed rest cure, but not in an overtly menacing way. The confined woman may also feel a separation from Jennie because of more deeply seeded issues, such as the proper display of domesticity Jennie always portrays or for her lack of will against the chauvinistic ideology she has adopted with such ease she is now an advocate.
    The rest cure is intended to assert control by essentially ordering women to stop thinking so much. The principle momentum behind this policy is the insidious notion that if women would just let the men in their lives take care of every machination of existence and cease worrying their pretty little heads, this hysteria would fade into distant memory and allow them to excel in keeping a clean and efficient home and procreating as is projected. The life of the narrator is meticulously handled by John, her husband and she describes the extent by explaining “I have a schedule prescription for each hour in the day; he takes all care from me” (Gilman 645). Her husband is not taking care of her, but from her. The restrained woman is so confined by John, she writes that he “hardly lets me stir without special direction” (Gilman 645). The cure is meant to extinguish any hope of self-determination; it is a method of breaking the spirit.
    As its name suggests, the rest cure prescribes ample amounts of sleep and this serves to insight further annoyance in the protagonist. In the beginning, sleep eludes her during these mandatory rest periods and she asserts these naps are forcing her to be deceptive by not telling “them” she is awake (Gilman 653). Later, the narrator expresses that her required rest during the day has opened up a new world for her at night as she spends countless hours examining the wallpaper and the woman confined in its pattern. In the night, the protagonist is alert and contemplating the ordeal of her daily life and becoming more curious about the creeping woman, even debating whether it may be multitudes of creeping women locked in the decoration. The observance of the restrained daytime behavior of the creeping woman and its resemblance to her own serve to send the narrator into a mental break from reality that could be perceived simultaneously as both a breakthrough and a breakdown. At this climactic moment, the creeping woman in the paper and the narrator become one and the result is anything but the epitome of true womanhood that is intended when employing the rest cure. In the end the narrator has become defiant as she exclaims “I’ve got out at last” (Gilman 657). She even presses the issue by telling John “I’ve pulled off most of the paper, so you can’t put me back” (Gilman 657). The rest cure has catalyzed an impressive change in the demeanor of the protagonist by the end of The Yellow Wallpaper. However, it is certainly not the one her husband had hoped for and this is evident as he faints at the sight of his wife creeping along the wall of their bedroom.
    Had the cure been more successful by John’s standards, a cured wife would emerge from the bedroom looking lovely in the appropriately modest attire required of a new wife and mother. The epitome of true womanhood and domestic bliss, the narrator would care little for anything not concerning the welfare of her almighty husband and child. The woman that would be considered a success upon completion of the rest cure would be all that society expects of her all the time. This would be especially true concerning the rebellious writing that could lead a delicate female mind astray. The narrator attests to the social contempt for female’s writing by asserting that Jennie “thinks it is the writing itself which made me sick” (Gilman 648).
    The modern equivalent of wellness could be described as having two distinct archetypes. Although more than a hundred years has passed since the first publication of The Yellow Wallpaper, the cultural climate has not completely transformed in the United States and in some locations not at all. There are many that still espouse the ideology that a woman’s place is in the home. Fortunately, women today possess established rights and have more freedom to assert their own determination, but the old beliefs still lurk beneath the shallow surface. The present populace has assumed a more relaxed stand on the issue of divorce, offering a contemporary female the opportunity to separate herself from an unhappy relationship with the chance at a fresh start. Medication is another alternative that the modern woman might pursue following the birth of a child and the onset of postpartum depression. Counseling, either couple’s or personal, would be an option to be considered. The ability for modern women to decide their future to a greater extant is what sets them apart from the preceding generations, but the battle is far from over.
    The clear path to freedom for women to speak out against gender restrictions and social oppression has been paved by the pioneering efforts of courageous women with the ability to express the demand for equality among the sexes in timeless prose. Charlotte Perkins Gilman is just such a woman with a body of work dedicated to recognizing the power that exists within the female frame. The Yellow Wallpaper is an important piece among her literary offerings as it serves to elucidate the prison-like quality of a repressed life corrupted by gender roles and expectations of polite society.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 07:10 PM

The sense of your essay gets lost among all the $50 words. What academic level are you at, and for which course is this?

Jul 26, 2009, 08:28 PM
    I am a junior working on my bachelor's in english.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy2u View Post
    I am a junior working on my bachelor's in english.
    And you wrote the essay all by yourself, with no help from anyone or any online site?

Jul 26, 2009, 08:39 PM

I had no help, but I am an honors student so I strive to produce an educated sounding paper.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Hi! I am having a hard time with a professor because he does not like my overly complicated writing style. could someone in the know about these things please read my essay and tell my how you would make it simpler?
    I read it to my husband, and we agree it needs to come down a notch or two. The reader gets lost in the verbiage and is then hard-pressed to figure out what the heck you are saying. If you wrote this, you should have no trouble "dumbing it down" a bit to make it more accessible. Yes, I could do it for you, but I already have a bachelor's in English and a master's in something else. I've paid my dues. Now it's your turn. Make your prof ecstatic.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
    I had no help, but I am an honors student so I strive to produce an educated sounding paper.
    An "educated-sounding paper" is far more than using fancy nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs, plus lots of dependent clauses hanging onto the independent ones. A quality essay is clear and concise and very readable, and one that the reader will say at the end, "Wow!" We're not there yet.

Jul 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
    OK I am working on getting my views across in a simpler way. I just wanted additional feedback on its ability to be understood, not expecting anyone to fix it for me. Just wanted a second opinion. So, thanks

Jul 26, 2009, 09:17 PM

I am revising now so do you think you might check back before tomorrow (turn in date) to check out the new version?
    jrk Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 09:32 PM

I read it ,and I thought it was very well put together. I might be a little biased here because I edit a local literary magazine where I live.
    I think someone working for a bachelor's degree in english should not dumb down a good paper. It all depends on who your intended audience is, and if your professor can't handle that essay, then I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Jeremy
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 09:34 PM
    I am revising now so do you think you might check back before tomorrow (turn in date) to check out the new version?
    I'll be here for at least another hour.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrk View Post
    I read it ,and I thought it was very well put together. I might be a little biased here because I edit a local literary magazine where I live.
    I think someone working for a bachelor's degree in english should not dumb down a good paper. It all depends on who your intended audience is, and if your professor can't handle that essay, then I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

jeremy
    My "dumb down" comment was in quotes. I also noted that the ideas in the essay should be accessible and understandable to the reader without $50 words being tossed around to impress.

Jul 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Thanks Jeremy. I have always received good feedback on my papers and with the exception of two B's, have gotten all A's on the others. So this has been a bit of an assault, but I have to get a good grade so I am, therefore, dumbing it down a bit.

Jul 26, 2009, 10:03 PM

This is what I have so far.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is a short story that offers evidence of the concept of womanhood in the late nineteenth century as well as serving as an example of the response given this topic in American fiction. Gilman's narrative explores the nature of womanhood in a patriarchal society from the first person point of view of a female writer of the era. Women's struggle for self determination in the midst of societal oppression is an often written about topic. The Yellow Wallpaper examines this struggle by offering an example of one woman's suffering as she attempts to retain sanity under extreme paternalistic circumstances of mental and physical suppression. As an American author of the late nineteenth century, Gilman manages the subject matter with ease, offering insight into the notion of true womanhood. She speaks of her own cultural climate through the voice of a woman that is challenged by the same imposition of male authority, giving the story a personal quality.
    A woman in the late nineteenth century was subjected to a set of gender specific guidelines that were imposed in order to produce obedient, domestic goddesses. The roles of women included daughter, sister, wife and mother. Woman as an individual of her own direction was a foreign concept. A woman's transition from daughter and sister to wife and mother was intended to be seamless as a woman left the home of her father for that of her husband. When this was not the case and a woman became troubled by the strict conformity of her life, she was diagnosed with the disease of neurasthenia. The rest cure, the prescription given for this ailment, was a healthy dose of more patriarchal oppression.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 10:21 PM

My suggestions are in bold (note hyphen additions):

"The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is a short story that offers evidence of the concept of womanhood in the late nineteenth century and that also serves as an example of the response given this topic in American fiction. Gilman's narrative explores the nature of womanhood in a patriarchal society from the first-person point of view of a female writer of the era. Women's struggle for self determination in the midst of societal oppression is an often-written-about topic. "The Yellow Wallpaper" examines this struggle by offering an example of one woman's suffering as she attempts to retain sanity while mentally and physically oppressed under extreme paternalistic circumstances. As an American author of the late nineteenth century, Gilman manages the subject matter with ease, offering insight into the notion of true womanhood. She gives the story a personal quality by speaking of her own cultural climate through the voice of a woman who is challenged by the same imposition of male authority.

A woman in the late nineteenth century was subjected to a set of gender-specific guidelines that were imposed in order to produce obedient, domestic goddesses. The roles of women included daughter, sister, wife and mother. Woman as an individual of her own direction was a foreign concept. A woman's transition from daughter and sister to wife and mother was intended to be seamless as a woman left the home of her father for that of her husband. When this was not the case and a woman became troubled by the strict conformity of her life, she was diagnosed with the disease of neurasthenia. The rest cure, the prescription given for this ailment, was a healthy dose of more patriarchal oppression.

Jul 26, 2009, 10:29 PM

OK thanks for your help. Did you think this was simpler and easier to follow my points?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 10:31 PM
    ok thanks for your help. did you think this was simpler and easier to follow my points?
    Yes, it's better.

Jul 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
    I appreciate your time and the feedback.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
    i appreciate your time and the feedback.
    Send me one more chunk? I have to go to bed soon.

Jul 26, 2009, 11:01 PM

I have put in your changes in this one. The title is in italics in word, just doesn't show here.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is a short story that offers evidence of the concept of womanhood in the late nineteenth century that also serves as an example of the response given this topic in American fiction. Gilman's story is a narrative within a narrative that explores the nature of womanhood in a patriarchal society from the first person point of view of a female writer of the era. Women's struggle for self determination in the midst of societal oppression is an often written about topic. Gilman has tackled this issue as well as the perception of feminine writing in her era. The Yellow Wallpaper examines one woman's suffering as she attempts to retain sanity while mentally and physically oppressed under extreme paternalistic circumstances. As an American author of the late nineteenth century, Gilman manages the subject matter with ease, offering insight into the notion of true womanhood. She gives the story a personal quality by speaking of her own cultural climate through the voice of a woman who is challenged by the same imposition of male authority.
    A woman in the late nineteenth century was subjected to a set of gender specific guidelines imposed in order to produce obedient, domestic goddesses. The roles of women included daughter, sister, wife and mother. Woman as an individual of her own direction was a foreign concept. A woman's transition from daughter and sister to wife and mother was intended to be seamless as a woman left the home of her father for that of her husband. When this was not the case and a woman became troubled by the strict conformity of her life, she was diagnosed with the disease of neurasthenia. The rest cure, the prescription given for this ailment, was a healthy dose of more patriarchal oppression.
    The unnamed narrator of The Yellow Wallpaper, a writer of the Victorian period, has been placed on the restrictive rest cure following the birth of her first child. The protagonist's husband describes her affliction as “temporary nervous depression-a slight hysterical tendency” (Gilman 644). Three male doctors concur on the prescription of the rest cure, including the woman's husband and brother. The foundation of the rest cure is fraught with sexist ideals that serve to further the goal of servility and submission in women.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Critique Lend America [ 4 Answers ]

Is Lend America a repubtable firm?

Can someone critique on my analysis essay? [ 4 Answers ]

My english teacher asked the class to write an analysis essay on Fault Lines by Meena Alexander. The assignment was to write an analysis essay on how Alexander uses language to explore and represent her fractured identity. I'll post the copy of the part he chose for us to read and I'll post my...

My husband is looking for good job can someone critique his resume? [ 4 Answers ]

Attached is a my husband's resume in 2003-2007 Microsoft Word format. Thank you so much for helping us out. He has never had to make a resume before, and I have always worked for my grandparents. I just took a class that had a section on resumes, but I am still too unsure of myself to rely on...

Critique my poem [ 8 Answers ]

Don't look too close should you see love's beauty burning bright Stand back a bit then look once more at such a glorious sight. When viewed so near it might distort and fool the naked eye. And everything you saw at first was nothing but a lie.

View more questions Search