Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Products containing magnets?
    I have seen many products recently containing magnets.

Mostly bedding and eye masks.

Does having magnets underneath you while you sleep actually have any benefit? Or is it just a money making scheme?
    They are suppposed to give you a "better nights sleep"

My partner had an eye mask with magnets in it and I refused to put it on, I don't know why but the idea just freaked me out having magnets over my eyes :o

Does anyone know if there is an actual benefit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

Many things, from meditation to medication can effect things
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 12:20 PM

My Aunt swears by these products, so much so that she started selling them.

Why I don't know, they've done absolutely nothing for her.

The bracelet is pretty though. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 12:44 PM

Haha yes I've seen those bracelets as well!

I just don't get how it all is supposed to work :confused:

I agree that meditation can help Chuck, maybe you have to 'meditate' and just believe that they workand then they will?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Haha yes I've seen those bracelets as well!

I just don't get how it all is supposed to work :confused:

I agree that meditation can help Chuck, maybe you have to 'meditate' and just believe that they workand then they will?
    My Aunt went so far as to buy the mattress. She claims that she sleeps better, but maybe it's just the comfort of the mattress, her old one was pretty cheap and lumpy. ;)

I've never actually tried the product, but I can't see how it would help, not from a medical standpoint.

Maybe J9 will come here and let us know what she thinks, or Sneezy. They're both in the medical field, they would have more answers. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:09 PM

I have heard that some magnets aren't as good as others and you need to get a good quality one.
    I would guess that Alty's aunt sells a good brand since she swears by them.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 07:29 AM

Haha yes that is probably more likely Alty, her old matress was just old and lumpy!

I googled but I couldn't find anything, mostly places saying how good they are for sleeping and arthritis but not explaining exactly why they are good!
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 07:41 AM

It has something to do with recharging the electric ions in your body or something like that.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    It has something to do with recharging the electric ions in your body or something like that.
    Ooooh OK, thanks, that will help me in my search!
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 08:37 AM

I found this site that explains it pretty well.

How Do Magnets Work in the Body

What I don't get is they say the metals like iron in your body are attracted to the magnets and it increases blood flow...
    Wouldn't the little iron bits get stuck where the magnet it, or is that crazy?
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 08:51 AM

I guess there is just enough insulation in our bodies to keep it from attaching to anywhere but enough to get it moving.
    They say that if we didn't have this insulation we have we would go insane from listening to our heart beat, our blood flow, our lungs work, our stomach digesting food, etc.,

They say that can be a reason sometimes when we get ringing in the ear is that we are slightly hearing our insides working. I heard that is what drove Edgar Allen Poe insane.

So I guess it has to do with the insulation barrier.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 09:29 AM

Had to spread the rep N0Help but that makes sense!

When open my mouth wide when it's really quiet I can hear my heart beat.
    Discovered that while looking at my back teeth in the bathroom mirror :D
    gratefulhealer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 01:15 AM

The earth is a big magnet.

From being indoors we are not exposed to the earth's natural magnetism anymore, plus the planets magnetic field has been reducing over time.

In Japan, they have a condition that is mainstream, called "Magnetic Deficiency Syndrome", and it is as widespread as Nutritional Deficiencies, which almost everyone eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) has.

Sitting on a magnetic pad will strengthen your bodies ability to cope with the stress of electromagnetic fields, like when you sit in front of a computer, monitor, and printer, for hours at a time. I'm sitting on one right now.

:)

I use the magnetic mattress, have a lot better sleep on it. Less time needed to recharge each night... what price is THAT worth?

I have extensive literature on the health benefits of magnets, including "double blind placebo studies" of the mattresses, as well as the insoles halting and reversing diabetic neuropathy.

If anyone is really that interested in the science and wants the docs or any other questions about magnets for health, you can email me at "contact ( at ) gratitudehealing (dot) info"
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 03:26 AM

Wow, thanks for the info gratefulhealer!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 03:39 AM
    I think a lot of it has to do with the placebo effect. Wired Magazine wrote a great article about that: Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the placebo effect. Wired Magazine wrote a great article about that: Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.
    Now that is an interesting article.

I have only skimmed it so far but I will have a proper read this afternoon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cameras and magnets? [ 2 Answers ]

I got a magnetic snap shut case for my camera, and I am wondering if magnets are safe for cameras cause I heard somewhere that they aren't... my camera is a Samsung L100 does anyone know if its good to go?

Fun with Magnets [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Guys Does anyone know of a material that will insulate magnetic waves? For instance, if I have a magnet and a iron spoon, is there any known material that I can put in-between them as to not let the magnet attract the spoon? Any advise will be greatly appreciated! Shaun G

Plastic magnets [ 2 Answers ]

I like what some research has discovered with the use of plastics in everyday application of magnets. Adjustable magnetism! It could expand into an entirely new propulsion/vehicle support mechanism. If it can be expanded to incorporate these issues, how could that be of benefit to our everyday...

Bar magnets [ 1 Answers ]

If a bar magnet swings freely from its centre what will it do

Magnets [ 3 Answers ]

I have magnets to keep kitchen cabinets closed. Two of the magnets have gotten very weak. How is it possible to restore the power of the magnet? Thank you!

View more questions Search