Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Boot sequence
    Hi there I was having trouble booting my computer with me external hard drive connected. However I have now adjusted the sequence and put my internal hard drive 1st, CD 2nd and floppy 3rd. I am just wondering if it is OK to have the USB excluded from the boot sequence? And is it OK how I have it? Thanks.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 08:05 AM

If not using it to boot to, that is fine - it is just an external USB device
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 08:21 AM

Hi,
    Works just fine, though most of the time the best choice may well be with the CD or Floppy first in case of a HD failure, or a situation where something has been added that prevents the system from booting correctly from the HD. This gives the chance to try to correct it in the least amount of steps.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 02:18 PM

Yea, if you're not going to be using the devices in the sequence list to boot from then excluding them from the list is no biggy. Obviously you want your HD with the OS on it to be no.1 then usually the CD and Floppy (if installed) would be 2 and 3. Past that is pretty superfluous unless of course you'll be booting from your Ext. HD. Then yes you'll want it on the list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Macbook won't boot after safe boot mode [ 1 Answers ]

An intel-based Macbook running the latest version of Leopard will not boot after a safe boot. I held down shift to perform the safe boot. It apparently ran the diagnostics etc, and then came up with Safe Boot in red like it should. I then restarted and now I can't get past the gray Apple screen. It...

GPO applied on 2nd boot, not on 1st boot [ 1 Answers ]

I am deploying IE7 via a GPO in a Windows 2003 domain. The policy works fine. But only on a second boot of the Windows XP clients. (WindowsXP only environment). This seems totally silly to me. Shouldn't all policies be applied on every boot? :confused: How can I force the policy to be applied on...

Name Sequence [ 2 Answers ]

Find the next two names in this sequence: George,Thomas,Abe,Alexander

Number sequence [ 2 Answers ]

What are the next three rows in the sequence: 1 11 21 1211 111221 312211 13112221

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search