Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mouse-girl Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Trying to Decide - where should we live?
    My husband and I are trying to find a good place to settle with our 2 small children, and we each have pretty different views on the subject, so it looks like some compromise is needed.

I come from Australia, and have family there, and although my family are spread out and we didn't get to see them more than a few times a year, I loved those times very much, and I miss them a lot.

My husband comes from Hawaii, and moved to Australia for 8 years when we first go married. We always talked about living in Hawaii, and I was always open to the idea, but now we are here we are struggling sooooo much, and I just wonder if it is not meant to be. His parents still live here, but his brother and sister moved to California (sister is married with 2 small kids).

So we are finding things really tough here. We both work, but money is not plentiful. We are currently living with my parents-in-law, which is very generous, but also very difficult - it is a bit like being a teenager all over again! And then add 2 toddlers! It gets a bit nuts.

We both made good money in Australia, but times like Thanksgiving etc my hubby would get really sad and feel like something huge was missing (which it was, of course). We had good friends there, but somehow life was so busy and we felt that getting time to see them was a huge laborious epic, so we didn't make that effort as much as we should have.

So we moved. But to me, it seems no better, and in many ways worse. We are still struggling financially, not going so great with jobs, no independence, and I just wonder should we go back or press on. My husband gets frustrated even talking about it, and is annoyed with me for wanting to quit after just 1 year, but I am just exhausted and want stability for my 2 small children and a home that is affordable. I am tired of living in expensive shoeboxes!! Or worse, leaning on relatives for help.

We still own a 2 bedroom flat in Australia - yes we have outgrown it, but it is something at least. We could sell it, and use the down payment to buy something small and horrible here, and it would be better than renting, but I'm scared to commit to living here when I don't really like it much yet, and am unsure about calling it 'home' in a long-term way. I feel bad that I am not liking it here. I feel like I'm being unfair on my husband, who stayed in Australia for 8 years despite missing his 'home'.

Help!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:37 PM

So you're currently in Hawaii or California?

Both are nice places (I've heard) but very expensive to live. I do have a friend that lives in Hawaii and she's actually planning to move back to the mainland someday because it's so expensive in HI (she came here for college).

Perhaps certain parts of California aren't so expensive; depends on which area you're comparing. I agree that stability is very important for children so I would suggest to start looking at a small suburb in Cali as a starting place and that way he'll be close to his sister and not incredibly far from his parents. If you find something you like, look into selling your home in Australia to use for the downpayment.

Jul 25, 2009, 07:48 PM

We're in Hawaii just now, but we do have family in California (or Australia)
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:56 PM

Have you checked out any places in California?

Jul 25, 2009, 08:11 PM
    We've been to San Jose once, but I didn't like it enormously. I like San Francisco, but not sure where I would want to live if we were there.

I would like somewhere that is affordable and has reasonable job prospects (I know that last one seems a big ask these days!)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 08:12 PM

Where do your sister-in law and brother in law live? I kind of agree that it's worth considering moving to be near them. It's a compromise that might appeal to your husband. Of course, California's economy is not greatest right now, so it wouldn't necessarily be easy to get jobs. We have high unemployment, but most places do... And some parts of the state are still really expensive to live in. But your husband could have family and you might not be suffocated by 24/7 contact with your parents in law. You could search for an area with good schools. There are websites that rate schools.

Also, have you considered a house swap with someone who wants to live in Australia for a couple of years? That might be cheaper than buying and selling a house and gives you the option to go back. That might feel safer to you, and so easier to try still another place. I think California is pretty different from Hawaii. I live in Northern California, but I have friends from Hawaii.

Jul 25, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion - that is a pretty good one to kick around for a bit, I think. We have talked about moving to CA on and off over the years, so maybe we will give it some harder thought.

The economy is a consideration, but hopefully that will pick up again a bit in the next year or 2.

Jul 25, 2009, 10:23 PM

Oops, I forgot to say my sister-in-law lives in San Jose.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 11:03 PM

The median price for a (non-luxury) condo in Santa Clara County (San Jose-ish) is currently about $340,000. In Contra Costa County (more towards Berkeley), the median price for a basic condo is $250,000.

Jul 26, 2009, 02:23 AM
    Thanks Asking, that is helpful to know :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:35 PM

Maybe check the employment ads on the internet like Monster.com and craigslist to get an idea of what the jobs and houses are like right now in the areas you are considering.
    You can then do Google maps street level to get a better idea of any areas you think you might decide on.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 09:18 PM

This is kind of funny you brought up the two areas I know best. Lol
    I lived in san jose when I was little, up until about middle school. Then I moved to contra costa (I don't live there anymore) maybe I'm a little biased because of where I lived in contra costa, but I don't like san jose at all. I still have family that lives there and I hate going out there.
    I thought san francisco is really expensive to live in? That's what I've always heard. I've never actually looked into it though since I would never want to live there. The big city setting is just not for me. What about someplace like pleasanton? It's about a half hour to 45 min from san jose. Very pretty. The schools seem to be good (my cousin went to public school there and seems to have come out of it just fine lol). It might at least be a place worth looking into. I have a friend who lives there. There's a cute downtown area with lots of yummy restaurants and a great farmer's market on weekends. And its not too far from major shopping areas.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 09:50 PM

I mentioned Santa Clara and Contra Costa Counties because they are the two cheapest counties in the Bay Area in which to buy houses.

Dublin and Livermore are both cheaper than Pleasanton--which is of course very nice.

Zillow.com has real estate prices and is an entertaining place to think about houses. For example:
    California Home Prices, Home Values, and Property Values - Zillow Local Info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I decide who I want to live with [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 12 year old boy who was taken to another state by my mom who wanted to punish my dad. I don't want to live with her anymore I want to live with my dad. How do I be able to decide where I want to live. My mom lives in Alabama and my dad lives in Michigan.

What age can she decide to live with parent? [ 2 Answers ]

My little sister is 16 will be 17 in November ( she is my step sister) she is living with her mother in Georgia, already has been raped, she is not take care of at all, she is doing bad in school , and is scared to death to be in the same house with her step-dad. Now, she has three other brother...

What age can my boy decide to live with me [ 9 Answers ]

My boy of 8 wants to live with me and my future wife. Can he have any say in a court to were he wants to live at a young age. Will the court grant him his wish or not. If not what age can he decide.

Can A Minor decide where they want to live? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a Minor decide were they want to live at home or with grandparents just because they don't want to follow rules at home? Can the grandparents take legal custody away from the parent? My daughter is 15 years old and we live in New York.:)

Age at which you can decide who you want to live with. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to go to kent schools to further my education instaed of stow and I will have to partly live with my dad to do so, which I have no problem with. I want to know how old you have to be to decide which parent you want to live with.

View more questions Search