Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstngpam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
    How do I resume unemployment benefits if I take a seasonal job for 3 months only?
    I began drawing unemployment the middle of June 2009. I'm considering applying for a seasonal job lasting three months only. I know my initial claim will discontinue once beginning a new job. My question is, once I'm laid off from the new job, do I refile a claim and continue drawing from my initial claim, or will the three months I've worked at the new job be calculated to determine my new maximum benefit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2009, 07:06 PM

I believe you continue to file each week stating that you have worked 4 or more days and earned more than the max. But that you haven't returned to work Full time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 08:40 PM

Yes, many people drawing unemployment work at places like Six Flags or other seasonal jobs and merely refile after that job ends
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 08:21 AM

You reopen the same claim that you are being paid under once your seasonal job ends. Your claim year would run from June 2009 to June 2010. It would not be extended the 3 months that you worked at your seasonal job.

You can do it the other way, reporting each week your earnings, but if your earnings are more than you were taking home with unemployment, obviously they won't be sending you any money. Now, if your gross earnings are less than what your unemployment was paying you, you file each week your gross wages and unemployment will give you the difference. Say you were collecting $350 in unemployment each week. Your seasonal job only pays $300 gross per week. That would mean you are entitled to $50 each week. You must report your gross wages, not your net wages.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mstngpam View Post
    My question is, once I'm layed off from the new job, do I refile a claim and continue drawing from my initial claim, or will the three months I've worked at the new job be calculated to determine my new maximum benefit.
    Hello m:

They'll probably make it a new claim because things have changed. No, your new wages won't affect the calculation to determine your benefit, because they don't use your present wages. They use the amount you made during a past quarter of the last year. Sorry, I don't know exactly WHICH quarter. Since time has passed since your initial claim, and since you're going to be working for a complete quarter, the quarter they're going to use to calculate your benefit has changed too.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You can do it the other way, reporting each week your earnings, but if your earnings are more than you were taking home with unemployment, obviously they won't be sending you any money. Now, if your gross earnings are less than what your unemployment was paying you, you file each week your gross wages and unemployment will give you the difference. Say you were collecting $350 in unemployment each week. Your seasonal job only pays $300 gross per week. That would mean you are entitled to $50 each week. You must report your gross wages, not your net wages.
    Actually that's not the way it works, at least in NY. Each week we report how many days we worked. For each day we work (no matter what we got paid), they deduct 1/4 of the weekly stipend. If we gross more than the weekly stipend, no matter how many days we worked we get nothing.

I have had a part time job for several years. Generally working 4-6 hours one day a week. Grossing less than 1/4 of my weekly stipend. So I only get 3/4 of the stipend each week. I can't quit this job, even though it is losing me money, because then I would lose my benefits entirely. The only silver lining is that, my total award is based on the weekly over the allowable term. I still get that total, it will just take longer to pay it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment benefits [ 3 Answers ]

I was the owner of small business for nine years. I had to close in 2007. I was told I could not receive unemployment due to being self-employed, however, I received a paycheck and paid unemployment insurance. I realize too much time has probably passed but 1.5 year later I am still unemployed...

Unemployment benefits after being fired with cause [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for over a year for company "A". I was fired for being late to work too often and denied unemployment benefits. Few monthes later went to work for company "B". Then I was laid off after two monthes. Can I apply again for unemployment benefits? I live in Texas and I am having a hard time...

When do Unemployment benefits stop ? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently unemployed in CA and receiving Unemployement benefits. I want to start my own construction Company and start working as a (self employed) General Contractor. At what point do the Unemployment benefits stop?? a)When I Incorporate the Company and start working b) When I'm awarded...

Unemployment benefits rights [ 4 Answers ]

I was laid off for unsatifacory work performance. Will I be able to collect unemployment benefits? I was pregnant at the time and admit that I was not performing up to my level. I was sick every night and during the day. I was pushing myself to make the hour and half commute every day and never...

Unemployment benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I am the only employee in my organization. I have been told that they are not required to pay into unemployment and that I am not entitled to it in case of lay off because there are less than 4 employees. I thought everyone was entitled to it if they worked. Can anyone give me some...

View more questions Search