Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgiaq007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Emailing video
    Recently a friend emailed me a video of a TV program. I downloaded it into one of my computers and in played fine. I then decided to email it to another of my computers and it plays fine but there is no sound. I know the second has working sound because other files play fine. Can anyone help?

Thank you
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kgiaq007 View Post
    ...it plays fine but there is no sound. I know the second has working sound because other files play fine.
    The second computer may be missing the audio codec used by the video. A codec is small chunk of software that enables the audio system to correctly interpret the audio data present in the video. A codec utility, such as GSpot or MediaInfo will reveal which codec the video used, which can then be obtained. Might try transferring it to the second computer with a USB flash memory drive just to eliminate email having any impact on the original file.

Jul 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Scleros,

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.

Kgiaq
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 12:27 PM

As mentioned above, missing codec would probably be issue

If still searching for codecs, some links below

You did not mention what operating system

Click the appropriate download below for your system
    -download the codec pack to your computer
    -run the program you downloaded and let it install with the recommended settings

Once setup is complete, you should have no problem viewing or playing most types of media

XP Codecs - K-Lite Codec Pack
    Click - Download K-Lite Codec Pack
    Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 5.0.0 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.0.0 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.0.0 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools

Vista Codec Package Final
    Click - Download Vista Codec Package
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download Vista Codec Package 5.3.5 : With Vista Codec Package installed, you won't need to install any other codec or filter.

Install with recommended settings

Jul 26, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Seahwk83

Thank you for your response. I have a PC with Windows XP. I went to download the K-Lite Codec Pack like you suggested and I got a message:

"XP Codec Pack is installed on your computer. The K-Lite Codec Pack offers similar functionality."

Should I still uninstall the XP Codec Pack and install the K-Lite or could the problem be elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:13 PM

Sometimes a codec pack will get corrupt and uninstalling and reinstalling will usually address certain files not playing properly

You could uninstall the one and then install the other, both serve the same purpose but there is always possibility that the one installed may have gotten corrupt somehow

Can't hurt to try and then re-address issue if still exists

Jul 27, 2009, 11:15 AM

Seahwk83,

Just want to let lyou know that you suggestion worked. Thank you for all your help and the help of the others who answered my cry for help. This is a great site and you all are very kind to help the novices like me.

Thanks again all.

Kgiaq007
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 08:27 AM

Install these two freeware solutions in the order listed:

MuldeR's Homepage

Combined Community Codec Pack

CCCP will repair the damage done by klite

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I shrink video file for emailing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey... I have a 50 or so MB video file that I need to shrink down to 10MB to attach to an email... HOW DO I DO IT?

Emailing w/o names [ 3 Answers ]

There are a few people in my address book that I send messages to often. But because there are others in my address book who don't like the idea of me being in touch with these few, I often have to send out a message twice or more.:mad: Is there a way that I can forward a message to someone...

Emailing accounts to use together [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sirs, Can I use outlook express emailing and at the same time have a gmail emailing account at the same time.

Emailing Music [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend in another state that has asked me to email him one of his songs from an old CD he made... how do I do this?? I tried to attach like any other file... it didn't work... :)

View more questions Search