Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CandyLight Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Sore throat
    Im 17 18 in a few weeks however my throat is really starting to cause me problems for the past 5 weeks I've had a sore throat and nothing seems to get rid of it on the 2nd week I went to my doctors who told me my throat is red raw but there's no sign of any swallon glands or lymh nodes or infection and that it was a virus and there was nothing to worry about on the 4th week I went to a drop in centre and saw a nurse who said again no swallon glands or lymhs nodes or no fever and said it was a virus I think its cancer and I'm so scared to go back to my doctor as I no he will not refer me to an ent and even if he did I might not make it as in england it takes ages under the NHS. I do suffer from stress a lot and had an mri for head aches strange smells etc and nothing came back can an 18 well 17 year old get cancer and if so what should be my next step
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyLight View Post
    i think its cancer and im so scared to go back to my doctor as i no he will not refer me to an ent and even if he did i might not make it as in england it takes ages under the NHS.
    Many people start fearing the worst when they are sick. Hypochondraics are the worst.
    I know a lot of people who will read medical stuff to figure out what they think is wrong and they go away thinking they have at least three to 8 medical problems over two or three symptoms.
    If they thought it was cancer they would have a way of knowing to check for it.
    Did they give you an antibiotic prescription? Did they tell you to come back for a follow up?

Jul 25, 2009, 07:05 AM

No they gave me no antibiotics just told me to take throat sweets what should be my next move
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:27 AM

You can try gargling with salt water
    Or any of these
    Gargle:

TURMERIC-1 teaspoon Turmeric in 1 Cup hot water

GINGER- 2 or 3 slices in cup of hot water or 1 teaspoon dried in cup of hot water.

THYME- 1 teaspoon in cup of hot water

CINNAMON- 1 teaspoon in hot water

And eating citrus fruits, garlic and cayenne pepper

vitamin C, echineachea and slippery elm are also good.

Jul 28, 2009, 04:12 AM

Guys do you have lymh nodes or glands on your tongue I have a small like spot on my tongue what comes and then disapears I've been checked by the denist who says my tongue is fine but its not and my throat is still terrible how can I control my aniexty I'm in a bad way and all I want to do is cry
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:58 AM

Lmyph nodes and glands are in your throat. '

I don't know about glands in the tongue but I am sure what you are talking about probably isn't glands. You can get white spots on your tongue but I think it would probably be thrush, fever blisters, or some else.

J_9 can best answer that.

You can try taking some sublingual vitamin B12 for anxiety. Maybe a B complex too.

Jul 28, 2009, 08:27 AM

OK ill ask J-9

Aug 5, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Is my doctor doing his job throat
    Hi I went to the doctor again today and again told him of my sore throats and I've had these white/yellow spots at the back of my throat for 6 months now they keep going and coming back and the doctor checked my throat my glands and my heart and back with his heart checked I think it's a scope of somekind anyway lets just call it a scope and asked me a few questions do you loose your voice etc etc I said no and he said he thinks it's a viral infections I keep getting as my immune system can't get rid of it however again I'm thinking why don't you run some swabs check me for cancer and I know I shouldn't do this but today again I went on Google and again got matched for cancer and I don't no what to do I don't want to die and don't want the cancer to become to advanced and they can't help me and I've seen 2 doctors who both say virual I have also seen a nurse guess what he says viral but I haven't yet seen a ent throat speacilist and I'm really scared I won't be here for my 18th birthday next week you probs think another hypocondriata but I am really worried about these spots can an 18 year old get cancer I never smoke or anything and why can't I get rid of these virus what am I doing wrong also I've read if the immune system is not working it's a sign of other serious illness but I did read it should be what the doctor says white stones like tonsils stones but don't they appear on the back of the tonsils has anyone ever experienced anything like this because again the doctor hasn't put my mind at rest and if I go back to see the third doctor there they are going to think I'm mad and my throat is always red with some mucus and puss coming from the red spots also if its cancer how long do I have to live
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 01:10 PM

Are you seeing your general doctor? Or an ENT (ears nose and throat doctor)

I would suggest you take a deep breath and calm down.

Do you smoke? Have you recently started smoking? Anything, pot ciggarettes crack anything at all. And if you have smoked crack recently, did it belong to a friend or someone you don't know? (we aren't the cops, we aren't going to report you.)

I would like to know everything you have done, went, eaten, or changed since this started happening

Aug 5, 2009, 01:23 PM

Im seeing my general doctor as they won't refer me to an ENT doctor basically I haven't changed my diet or anything like that what do you think it could be I have never smoked anything apart from one puff of a piece of paper when I was 8
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 01:27 PM

Lol how did you smoke paper alone ;) I doubt that's the issue.

You have the right to ask for a referral. If that doctor won't give you one, get a different doctor until someone DOES refer you to an ENT speciallist. This is definitely something the ENT doctor should be seeing.

Aug 5, 2009, 01:30 PM

OK do you think its cancer though
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 01:32 PM

No I do not think its cancer. I'm not a doctor. But there are many other sympoms other than a sore throat that would point to cancer hon.

Did any of the doctors ever do a throat culture? (swab your throat with a qtip)
    Sorry if you already said yes or no to this, I might have missed it.

It sounds like strep to me. Which will need antibiotics before going away. So if they didn't even bother to test for it, I would see a different doctor.

Aug 5, 2009, 01:37 PM

Im in the UK and to switch doctors wouldn't be an option as mostly in my area they doctors are all full up with no space and they haven't done a culture he saud I keep re infecting myself with a virus
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 01:56 PM

Ahhh I see. Sorry hon I have no experience with the UK system.

Go see your doctor and tell him to do a culture. Its not like he should argue. He gets paid for each test he does doesn't he? I don't understand why he would object.

Even if the doctor gets grumpy about it. Stand your ground and say "i WANT a throat culture'

and then when (if) the test comes back positive, you can say 'now, are you ready to listen?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore throat [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... my 21 month old I think might have a sore throat.. I have a little bit of a sore throat and I think my mother does as well... but just a few mintues ago.. she woke up for a minute looking for a pacifier as I noticed when she tried to swallow she had some difficulty... she never had a sore...

Sore throat [ 4 Answers ]

I have had a sore throat for 4 days and there are two white spots in the back of my throat. It hurts to swallow. My glands are not swollen and I do not have a fever, cold or flu. Should I see a doctor or is this just viral? Thanks!

Sore throat [ 4 Answers ]

Dear everyone, Lately,I have a score throat every morning when I wake up, but after a couple of hours the pain is gone. I am totally fine. I am wondering why is that? The temp has been crazy lately too, if that will help you determine my case. Thanks:)

Sore throat! [ 8 Answers ]

I've had a sore throat for 3 days and now I have congestion and sneezing with it. When should I see my doctor and is this anything to worry about?:confused:

Sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is katie. And I have had a sore throat that comes and goes all the time. I get white spots that come off and smell. But now it hurts in the middle of my throat and all the time, my ears hurt off and on. But then again ihave tmj so when my jaw hurts my ears hurt. Is my throat something to...

View more questions Search