Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 06:37 AM
    The Cops and you
    Hello:

Let's say there is a confrontation between a citizen and a cop... Who, between the two, is entitled to respect by the other??

Me?? I believe the citizen is. After all, the citizen is the sovereign and the cop works for him... However, I believe those folks of the right wing persuasion would say that we should kiss the cops rear end no matter what.

You?

excon
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 06:40 AM

I wish it were that way but here it's usually the citizen getting screwwed over royally by the cop.

I don't argue with them anymore, just take my ticket and drive away.
    Last time I argued I had an extra point deducted and a higher fine than usual. :rolleyes:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 06:46 AM

Yeah at one time it was that way but now the cops are rookie thug with a chip on their shoulder types that will stop you for suspicion and throw you against your car wall fence or whatever.
    Tell you shut up if you try to ask a simple question like WHY? Then you go into court and the Judge and your lawyer automatically takes the cops side. Then the lawyer says yeah you can fight it but what's the use because when it is the cops word against you who do you think the Judge is going to believe. So if you want to waste your time and money then go right ahead.

You wonder why they get away with it?
    Because THEY CAN.

By law you have the freedom of speech to cuss at a cop
    By reality it only gets you in deeper ka-ka

I remember a time when cops rode you home if you were drunk
    Now they throw you in jail for drunk walking.

The cops are getting so bad that even the right wings are getting messed with. Then they know, but until then it isn't their problem just like any other US citizen, left or right, that sits back watching the news and not caring to get involved because it isn't their problem
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:52 AM

Pretty obvious from your comments that you have never been on the other side. How would like to put on a bullet proof vest every morning for work, and go out on the streets and see nothing but the worst of the worst for 8 to 10 hours? Are there bad apples? Yes, the police forces of the World are made up of the same sorts of people that make up any population. Some good, some OK and some not so good. Bay and large the police forces go to great lengths to make sure that the people who out there on the streets every day are the best and have the best support they can. Personally I have had a concealed carry permit. I took great responsibility with that PRIVILEGE. I am a firm believer that if you, the average citizen are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear from the police. If you are doing something wrong, then you loose the right to respect .
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:57 AM

I do agree with that too but I know too many cops that DO misuse and abuse their authority. I know grade school kids that were shoved against the wall for asking what are you doing to my brother or the bystanding kid was having a serious asthma attack and told too bad they have to stay still. My 70 some yr old neighbor was thrown against a fence for walking down the park to see his son being arrested. I can understand police protecting themselves but out right bullying I can't see.
    The policeman that killed the Steelers cousin Johnny Gamage got away with murder twice and continued being a cop.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Pretty obvious from your comments that you have never been on the other side.... If you, the average citizen are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear from the police. If you are doing something wrong, then you loose the right to respect
    Hello 450:

What comments are you talking about?? My desire for respect from the cops?? In fact, you seem to be saying that I shouldn't expect anything from the cops because they have tough jobs.

But, on to my original post. What if you're NOT doing something wrong? What if you HAVE one of those not so good cops in your face? Who should yield?

I suspect, from YOUR comments, that you think every time a cop finds himself in a confrontation with a citizen, the citizen has done something wrong. I don't make that assumption at all. In fact, my post is based on innocent circumstances... Of course, if you don't think the cops EVER face innocent civilians, then we can't carry on this conversation much longer.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 08:15 AM

I think he is saying the cops do not know what to expect and can not trust anybody any more so they have to come off strong but

I agree with you why harass a citizen that isn't doing anything wrong in the first place.
    According to the law of statistics it will increase your odds of getting shoot... one day for eventually messing with the wrong one.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 08:25 AM

Hello again:

Let's clear this up. I'm not talking about cops harassing innocent people just for the hell of it. I'm also not talking about a foul mouthed crook.

I'm talking about those situations where the cop has probable cause to interject himself into a situation, however WHO is guilty of WHAT, or whether there is even something to BE guilty of has NOT been determined.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 08:28 AM

I am just saying I have seen them harass innocent, suspicious, guilty -(but undetermined by law yet) and everything in between and I do agree with you.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:01 AM
    I believe that mutual respect is due the both of them. Why is there even a 'confrontation'? As a citizen, I expect my fellow citizens to obey the law, just like I have to. And I expect the cops, who work for me, to enforce those laws. Professionally, of course, but also to use force when necessary and justified. Let's face it, if someone tries to break into my house (or, let's say my mother's house) and the police blow his head off it's not exactly going to break my heart. Not that I would expect the police to use that degree of force for simply a B & E. And if I did it myself I know I'd be in a world of deep doo-doo. That's the point of view of this "right-winger" and for that I offer no apologies. But I am open to hearing other points of view.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:03 AM

EXACTLY necessary AND justified.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
    I am a firm believer that if you, the average citizen are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear from the police. If you are doing something wrong, then you loose the right to respect.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority but I have to agree with this!
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 25, 2009, 09:12 AM
    The main problem with police is that so many of them become cops for the wrong reasons. Insteat of wanting to help society, many are former school bullies who never grew up and just want a job where they can keep pushing people around and abusing authority. Don't mouth off even if harassed, best thing to do is not to say anything until you have a lawyer.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    I believe that mutual respect is due the both of them. Why is there even a 'confrontation'?
    Hello s:

I don't know why we have trouble dancing around this stuff. You ask why IS there a confrontation in the first place, as though, (a) you think they only happen in my imagination, or (b) you think some BAD guy precipitated it.

But, I suggest these confrontations happen every day - even to you, s_cianci. If, however, you've never had a cop with an attitude stop you for speeding, or you've never been purposefully intimidated by a cop, then God bless you. But, I think the rest of us have.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
    If, however, you've never had a cop with an attitude stop you for speeding, or you've never been purposefully intimidated by a cop, then God bless you. But, I think the rest of us have.
    Well ex, I really can't say that I've been purposely intimidated by a cop, save maybe for one particular instance, under fairly benign circumstances. But I knew better than to get confrontational with him and have it turn into something worse. And I've been stopped for speeding lots of times (and I truly was speeding, every last time) but I don't know what you would call "attitude." After all, I was breaking the law and the cop was doing his job. Now sure, maybe they do get a little carried away sometimes and make more of an issue of it than it deserves. But hell, anyone can do that, a checkout clerk in a grocery store for that matter. Now that's not to excuse police misconduct when it does occur. But it's also not fair to impose a double standard on the police and not allow them to get away with what the grocery store checker having a bad day gets away with. After all, when a checkout clerk gives you $hit, what do you do? Do you get all confrontational? Do you attack him/her? Pull a weapon? Do you make a scene? Do you go to the manager and demand his/her job? And even if you do, does it ever actually result in his/her firing? Most likely, you say something like 'stick it' and walk (or storm) away. So why do we respond differently when it's the police? Perhaps because we resent their authority?
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    The main problem with police is that so many of them become cops for the wrong reasons. Insteat of wanting to help society, many are former school bullies who never grew up and just want a job where they can keep pushing people around and abusing authority.
    BINGO
    And that is the whole problem IF they have an attitude it doesn't matter who you are or what you did or didn't do.
    A rotten apple spoils the whole basket.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 12:40 PM

Cops. When I was young and pretty they were so darned nice, no matter what offense I'd committed. Now that I look older, yeah, they can be real jerks! It takes a lot of maturity to behave like a model citizen all the time.It must be easier when your perp is pretty?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 03:39 PM

Ever deal with a cop as nice and patient as this guy?

Poor Fred (By the way, he was on a Harley... )

A cop stopped a Harley for traveling faster than the posted speed limit. He asked the biker his name.Fred Dingaling

'Fred,' he replies.

'Fred what?' the officer asks.

'Just Fred,' the man responds.

The officer is in a good mood and thinks he might just give the biker a break and write him out a warning instead of a ticket. The officer then pressed him for his last name.

The man tells him that he used to have a last name but lost it. The officer thinks that he has a nut case on his hands but plays along with it. 'Tell me, Fred, how did you lose your last name?'

The biker replied, 'It's a long story, so stay with me.' I was born Fred Dingaling. I know, a funny last name. The kids used to tease me all the time, so I stayed to myself, studied hard and got good grades. When I got older, I realized that I wanted to be a doctor. I went through college,medical school, internship, residency, and finally got my degree, so I was Fred Dingaling, MD. After a while I got bored being a doctor, so I decided to go back to school.. Dentistry was my dream! Got all the way through school, got my degree, so then I was Fred Dingaling, MD, DDS. Got bored doing dentistry, so I started fooling around with my assistant and she gave me VD, so now I was Fred Dingaling, MD, DDS, with VD. Well, the ADA found out about the VD, so they took away my DDS. Then I was Fred Dingaling, MD, with VD. Then the AMA found out about the ADA taking away my DDS because of the VD, so they took away my MD leaving me as Fred Dingaling with VD. Then the VD took away my Dingaling, so now I am Just Fred.'

The officer walked away in tears, laughing.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 03:55 PM

Oh, my Dad is going to love that one! Thanks Stringer.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Oh, my Dad is going to love that one! Thanks Stringer.
    You're welcome. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many cops? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello: The cajoler asked how many convicted felons there are in these good ol United States. Got me to wondering... How many cops are there? While we're at it, how many different federal police departments are there? Which ones? I'll bet you can't name 'em all. excon

He's calling the cops! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 7wk old baby boy from my ex and I am not letting him take my son to his house or anywhere that I am not at. He is threatening to have the cops come to my house and demand that I let him take my son to his house for visits. I don't think he would ever hurt my son, but he does drink a...

Cops mess up bad [ 1 Answers ]

This morning on the way to work I got pulled over. The cop said he ran my plate number and he said my license had expired. I just got my license in march. I guess he couldn't read because right on my lic. It said it expires to 2008. They impounded my car. I lost a day at work. Cause they messed...

View more questions Search