Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Web Cams
    Hi, My question is how do you hook up a web cam. I must be computer stupid. I've purchased three webcams and can not get any of them to work. I think it's not the web cams but me. Can someone give me the A,B,C's of them. How do you knoe they are working, do you have to use aim, Yahoo or something before you know it works. All my directions tell me to plug it in an go to it. I have XP. Thanks for any help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2009, 05:23 AM

A webcam is generally another alternative input device, just like a scanner. Almost all Webcams connect to a USB port. The thing you are missing is you software to display what the camera sees. Generally webcams are used to do video conferencing. For this you need to use an app like AIM, MSN messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc. And the person you are corresponding with needs to use the SAME app.

To test your cam, load up one of the apps mentioned and then go into the options to configure the video. Select the webcam from the list of inputs and you should be able to see yourself.
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    A webcam is generally another alternative input device, just like a scanner. Almost all Webcams connect to a USB port. The thing you are missing is you software to display what the camera sees. Generally webcams are used to do video conferencing. For this you need to use an app like AIM, MSN messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc. And the person you are corresponding with needs to use the SAME app.

To test your cam, load up one of the apps mentioned and then go into the options to configure the video. Select the webcam from the list of inputs and you should be able to see yourself.
    Hi, Thanks for the answer I'm using AIM but I do not see the place where it says: Select A/V, Clk setting, Adobe Flash Player nor any of this. Could you spoon feed me more information?
    Again Thanks
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Buy webcam

FIRST install software- and or drive provided by manufacturer. For best results download latest version and do NOT install the old version from the box

THEN plug your (USB?) webcam into your computer

If you are using 32bit vista/win7 prepare to suffer

Drive=driveR

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum zoom in digital cams [ 3 Answers ]

What is the maximum zoom possible in digital cameras?

Web cams [ 1 Answers ]

Hey just curious on the accesability of a webcam. Basically what I want to know is when using a webcam is it possible to have it connected directly to the internet without being connected to a physical computer 1st. Just broadcasted directly from the cam to a site. Thank you in advance

View more questions Search