Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becki4892 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 01:26 AM
    Gravimetric Analysis of Sulphate - Extremely Urgent! Dued on 29/7/09.
    Objective: Determine the amount of sulphate by the gravimetric method.

Procedure
    A) To precipitate BaSO4

I)Pipette 25.0ml of given sulphate solution (Na2SO4) into a 250ml beaker.
    ii) Add 50ml of water and 5drops of concentrated HCl
    iii) Heat to boiling and, with vigorous sitrring, add dropwise from a measuring cylinder 10ml of 10% BaCl2 solution
    iv) Cover the beaker with a watch glass and allow digestion for 20 minutes
    v) Test for complete precipitation by adding a afew drops of BaCl2 to the clear supernatant liquid.

Part B) Washing and filtration of Ba2SO4 precipitate
    I)Decant the clear supernatant by filtration at the vacuum pump, using a pre weighed crucible.
    ii) Wash and swirl the precipitate with about 20ml of warm deionised water.
    iii)Use a 'rubber-policeman' to dislodge any particles on the beaker.
    iv)Allow to settle
    v)Decant the liquid through filter paper
    vi)Repeat washing and decanting at least twice.
    vii)Discard filtrate

Part C) Drying and weighing of BaSO4 precipitate
    I) Dry the crucible in the oven at 150 degree celsius for about 1/2 hour.
    ii)Cool the crucible with BaSO4 precipitate in a desiccator for about 10 minutes.
    iii) Weigh the crucible when it is cooled down.

Questions

1) Why do you add HCl to the mixture of BaCl2 and NaSO4?
    2) What are the factors that favour the formation of BaSO4 crystals?
    3) How do you check the purity of BaSO4 crystals formed?
    4) How do you improve the purity of BaSO4?
    5) Besides, determining the amount of sulphate by the gravimetric method, what other objectives does this experiments poses for students?
    6) What is the theory behind using instruments such as crucible, vacuum pump and desiccator?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 01:30 AM

Care to check for a similar question?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...nt-362986.html
    Becki4892 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 03:36 AM
    I've checked tt question before... but my questions differ from it... do u know e answers?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 11:35 AM

All are there except for the 'purity part'. You should get all the answers you need if you read through the thread carefully. Concerning the apparatus you used, you should know their theory since you make use of them, or you have never used them in a laboratory...

For the purity question, you can rewash and re-filtrate. If you have impurities, I guess you know what that means. And just repeat the purification process like you did to purify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Determination of sulphate by gravimetric analysis [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, when they asked to add dilute solution of barium chloride to a hot solution of sodium sulphate slightly acidified with concentrated HCL. Is there a difference if I add BACL to HCL first then add NASO4? Or if I add NASO4 and HCL then BACL. I'm not sure if I'm correct but if you add NASO4 to...

Gravimetric Analysis URGENT! [ 11 Answers ]

Objective: Determine the amount of sulphate by the gravimetric method. Procedure A) To precipitate BaSO4 I)Pipette 25.0ml of given sulphate solution (Na2SO4) into a 250ml beaker. ii) Add 50ml of water and 5drops of concentrated HCl iii) Heat to boiling and, with vigorous sitrring, add...

Gravimetric analysis [ 1 Answers ]

A 0.693g of sample of a silver alloy used to make cutlery is dissolved completely in nitric acid. Excess sodium chloride solution is added to produce a precipitate of silver chloride. The precipitate is filtered, dried and found to weigh 0.169g. a) find the percentage of silver in the alloy. b)...

I'm being dued [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: My exhusband got a credit card when we were married and had me co-sign for him... Now I am being sued for his card... I don't know what to do... we have been separated since 03 and divorced since 06... Does anyone know what I can do?? :(

URGENT: interpreting gravimetric analysis experiments [ 5 Answers ]

I have this experiment, but I haven't done it yet. It's a gravimetric analysis one where we want to determine the percentage of calcium in a calcium diet supplement tablet. The procedure goes as follows: 1. Weight one Caltrate tablet accurately into a clean 100ml conical flask 2. Add 50.0mL of...

View more questions Search