Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Narataru Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jul 24, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Venting Washer Machine
    Hello,
    Can I use an Automatic Vent device to vent a washer machine drain, or use a loop vent? Thanks. Nara
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 04:06 AM
    Hi Nara...

As plumbers we always prefer to see an individual vent run for all fixtures and then connected into the vent system. Simple fact is that anything mechanical can fail so always best to install non-mechanical when possible. If unable to run an individual vent or too costly and if automatic vents are allowed in your area then an AAV is the other way to go... see image. It should be piped in so that it is a minimum of 6-12" above the PTRAP.

AAVs must remain accessible because as I mentioned they can fail allowing sewr gas to escape into the home. In this case, you would simply replace the AAV so not a big deal as long as accessible.

Let us know if you need more info...

MARK
    Attached Images

Narataru Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jul 25, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Hello Mark,
    Thank you very much for your answer, that helps me a lot. I read books and search in the Internet, but your answers are the fastest way and very accurate. Thank you. :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 25, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Here's Marks drawings as they would look installed. (see images) Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New plumbing and venting for washing machine. [ 9 Answers ]

Please take a look at this design and let me know what you think. Please note that the vent and drain stack are on a perpendicular wall. How long can the pipe with the red question mark on it be? To do this I'd need it to be about 6' including the elbow. I'm guessing I'd have to angle it down. ...

Venting a washing machine through an unused furnace flue [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine and laundry tub in the basement and have no way to vent them through the ceiling and up the roof. However, nearby I have an old, unused furnace flue that goes all the way up to the roof. Of course its diameter is more than needed for venting of the washing...

Venting a washing machine properly [ 1 Answers ]

I need help venting a washing machine properly. We have just purchased a new washer and the current washer we have was never vented properly. So what happens is the water backs up in the vent pipe and also the sink which is on a T refuge pipe. Help Please. Thanks

Venting for a washer. [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add a washer hook-up in a utility room that I have. It is on the 1st floor of a 2 story home. Directly above it is a bathroom, so I have hot and cold water lines in the wall. As well as two waste pipes (a 3" from the toilet and a 2" from the sink/shower). I am assuming it is a...

View more questions Search