Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karentaulbee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 03:03 AM
    Payroll and Payroll Tax Expense on an Income Statement
    Is the payroll expense on the Income Statement the gross amount of payroll? What I have seen so far is that it is the gross amount and then the payroll taxes are also listed. Isn't it doubling the amount of expense for the payroll taxes?
    Thanks for your help!
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 04:07 AM

You are quite right , the payroll taxes ( which
    Is the income tax payable ) are included in the gross amount.
    The other payroll tax included in the statement is a separate issue from Income tax.
    It is known as Payroll Tax and this tax is an expense to the employer.

There is no double dipping here.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 02:16 AM

It's not doubling the amount of taxes necessarily. What is deducted from the employee's check can be different taxes from what the employer might have to pay in addition to that.

Except that no one can tell you exactly what those are unless we know what country you're in -- we get worldwide people around here.

If you're in the U.S. I can answer that. Social security and medicare are "matched" by the employer. That is, whatever is deducted from the paycheck of the employee is duplicated by the employer. So that one is doubled. Any federal, state or local withholdings are deductions only. Federal unemployment is employer-paid only. State unemployment may be a deduction and paid by the employer, possibly at two different percents. State stuff is always state-dependent. (Some states don't even have unemployment.) Things like Workers Comp (worker injury insurance) is employer only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ouickbooks payroll j/e, cash basis using a Payroll Co. [ 5 Answers ]

We use a payroll company to process our payroll. Each payroll they deduct the money for our taxes. If I enter the taxes as a payable, it messes up my books because the money is already deducted with the biweekly payroll. My quarterly reports did not match my QB files and I cannot figure out what...

Payroll company witholding money from uncashed payroll check [ 1 Answers ]

I have a payroll check that is about four years old and the payroll company says that they are in no way obligated to reissue me a check, and that the escheat laws only apply to government office jobs but that is not true. Who would I contact to help me on this problem?

Payroll manager holding 1099 income for 45 days? [ 2 Answers ]

How long can a payroll manager hold a paycheck for an independent contractor (1099)? The payroll manager sends paychecks up to 30-45 days late. For example: Pay period ends on January 1, paycheck will be paid out around February 15-22nd. They always have excuses on why the checks cannot be sent...

Payroll taxes/w-2 wage and tax statement info [ 1 Answers ]

A company's employer taxes are 0.8% for federal unemployment taxes, 5.4% for state unemployment taxes, 6.2% for FICA social security taxes on earnings up to $84900, and 1.45% for FICA Medicare taxes on all earnings. Compute the w-2 Wage and Tax Statement information required below for the...

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

View more questions Search