Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Gas self propelled mower wheel jam
    A gas engine mower I have recently acquired starts fine, but the wheel that normally pulls it forward jammed with grass and will not turn properly when it's running. I pulled all the grass out, including masses impacted in what appeared to be a drive gear on the wheel (with a stiff plastic housing), left over from when someone else last used it, but that didn't seem to help. I am now 5 hours from the mower, cannot even say what brand it is. But is there some sort of belt or clutch that engages the front wheel? How do these things work?

Also, a spring cotter pin holds the wheel on, but I didn't have the tools to get it off. Basically, I'm wondering what kind of tools I'll need to take with me to fix this thing next time I visit it.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Asking
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:00 PM

Asking, there is a tool called (guess what) a cotter pin puller. Yup. I own one so I know it exists. While you are at the hardware store be sure to get more cotter pins just in case you lose the original one or it somehow gets bent.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 24, 2009, 06:14 AM

Hi,
    Yes, a cotter pin puller does exist, though it is often called other things, and is not always of as much use as a good pair of side-cutter pliers. Spare cotter pins is always a good idea, probably 1/8" or 5/64" for that and about 1" in length since the axle is normally 1/2."
    Without a brand and model it is hard to help. Brand especially important since as in every industry designs are often protected by patents and not used by other brands. I am familiar with many brands and their designs. Some are similar enough so as to have compatible service techniques, and others are as different as night and day. An example would be the Toro rocking key design that keeps the machine from being harder to pull backwards.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks, Clarke.

I've been browsing mowers and my best guess is that it's an MTD White. But I'm not sure about that. I'll get back to you if I am able to narrow it down.

It's a walk behind, self propelled with front wheel drive, 12 inch wheels in back, 6 or 7 inch wheels in front with side discharge/mulch. Pull start. Probably 22 inches, maybe a 2002 model, give or take a year or two.

The inner part of the left front wheel has gear teeth made of hard white plastic. I assumed it was a gear-driven front wheel drive.

I'll go back in a couple of weeks and get the make and model number. (And take some tools and spare cotter pins.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toro self propelled mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

My 2002 toro personal pace guaranteed to start mower won't start. Spark plug is new, filter is clean. It fires and runs for a couple of seconds and then dies. If I prime again it will do the same thing. Can't get it to keep running. What could be the problem?

Toro self propelled lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I recently purchased a toro self propelled mower and now the front drive in not working. Any ideas?

Troy-Bilt self propelled mower [ 1 Answers ]

I am "stuck" with one of these defective mowers and have lost my recept, ( the dog ate it!! ) to compound the issue, I purchased it outright with cash at Lowe's. Is there anything I can do to get Troy-Bilt to honor the warranty and make the repairs, if not any idea how costly a situation this may...

Myself propelled troybilt mower [ 3 Answers ]

:mad:My 21" self propelled honda powered mower's wheels turn with no load but stop propelling the mower when in use- have installed new belt and checked pulleys- what else could be wrong?

Self propelled lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy Bilt 220 self propelled lawn mower. Is there an adjustment for the self propelling mechanism? It seems each season it gets harder to push. It works OK when I am on the driveway but once it gets into the lawn I seem to be doing all the pushing. Any suggestions? I purchased the...

View more questions Search