Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RGPATTER Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
    15 amp receptacles in 20 amp circuita
    Can a 15 amp rated duplex outlet be used in a circuit fed by 12 AWG wire through a 20 AMP breaker, or are only 20 amp rated receptacles allowed?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 02:05 PM

You can use 15 Amp recepticles and switches on a 20 Amp circuit. Does seem strange.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 02:17 PM
    For some reason in Canada you must use 20A receptacles.

In the US as long as it is at least one duplex or two or more simplex receptacles 15A are fine.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 02:19 PM

I got one and asked the installer why, that's what he had in the truck. Its OK but a waste of versatility.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jul 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
    I may be off here...

But I always thought that this was allowed, however you can not use a 20 AMP receptical in a 15 amp circuit.

After all, an appliance that only draws 10 amps (and uses a 15 AMP plug) would be perfectly safe on a 20 AMP circuit.

However, if you change the cord of an appliance that draws 16 or so amps, and install a 15 amp plug on the cord, then you are going to run into overloads.

Few houseshold appliances would require a dedicated 20 AMP circuit, a large window AC is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 amp receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

How do you figure how many 15 amp recp. Can go on 20 amp circuit

20 amp receptacles [ 1 Answers ]

How do you figure how many 20 amp recp. Can go on 20 amp circuit

Electrical receptacles [ 1 Answers ]

I am running # 12 wire into a 15 amp receptacle and would like to run that to a outside 20 amp receptacle can this be done

Receptacles not working [ 1 Answers ]

I hope that someone will be able to provide some additional steps to take to investigate the cause of my problem. My house was built in the 1950's, and has two panel boxes, one fuse box for the original, older portion of the house and a circuit breaker box for the addition and remodeled portion....

15 or 20 amp receptacles? [ 6 Answers ]

I had my electric service upgraded 18 years ago and had the electrician install two GFCI's, One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. They are on separate circuits by themselves. They are each on a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire and the GFCI's are rated 15 amp with 20 amp feed through. My...

View more questions Search