Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjohnson141 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Lights/ceiling fan turning on by themselves
    Hi,

I know this has been asked before but not recently (that I see) so I'll bring up this subject again.

I live in a townhouse that is approximately 15 years old and I've lived there for almost 10. Over the last year or two, the bedroom light (which is part of a ceiling fan has come on - stays on or blinks - it's done both) all by itself in the middle of the night (fan running) or the fan has gone from medium to high (both light on and light off).

Last night after we'd gone to bed, the living room light came on after about 30 minutes and then again around 2:30 this morning.

The light switches are of the toggle type. In the bedroom there are two toggles on the switch one runs the light/fan (has a battery operated remote as well) and the other is for a outlet on the other side of the bedroom. The living room switch has three toggles one for the porch light, one for the foyer light and one for the living room lights. There is a second switch for the living room lights on the other side of the room.

Wife says this only happens when we watch these new ghost "reality shows", LOL. While that would be really interesting, my main concern is fire.

So what should I do? Is this something that I can fix myself by replacing the old switches with new... checking the wiring on the ceiling fan... call an electrician? Or should I enlist the services of PRS, Chip Coffee and Ghost Hunters? (LOL.. the last was a joke)

Oh and sorry for being so long winded...

Jul 23, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson141 View Post
    Hi,

I know this has been asked before but not recently (that I see) so I'll bring up this subject again.

I live in a townhouse that is approximately 15 years old and I've lived there for almost 10. Over the last year or two, the bedroom light (which is part of a ceiling fan has come on - stays on or blinks - it's done both) all by itself in the middle of the night (fan running) or the fan has gone from medium to high (both light on and light off).

Last night after we'd gone to bed, the living room light came on after about 30 minutes and then again around 2:30 this morning.

The light switches are of the toggle type. In the bedroom there are two toggles on the switch one runs the light/fan (has a battery operated remote as well) and the other is for a outlet on the other side of the bedroom. The living room switch has three toggles one for the porch light, one for the foyer light and one for the living room lights. There is a second switch for the living room lights on the other side of the room.

Wife says this only happens when we watch these new ghost "reality shows", LOL. While that would be really interesting, my main concern is fire.

So what should I do? Is this something that I can fix myself by replacing the old switches with new...checking the wiring on the ceiling fan...call an electrician? Or should I enlist the services of PRS, Chip Coffee and Ghost Hunters? (LOL..the last was a joke)

Oh and sorry for being so long winded...
    Forgot to add that to my knowledge this has only happened at night.
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Jul 23, 2009, 10:04 AM

Fire is the concern here. Hire a professional, get the circuits checked as soon as you can. It appears you have at least on faulty switching system on the fan and perhaps the living room as well.

Jul 23, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton1Law View Post
    Fire is the concern here. Hire a professional, get the circuits checked as soon as you can. It appears you hav at least on faulty switching system on the fan and perhaps the living room as well.
    Thank you for the response. I'm assuming you mean the main circuits in the breaker box?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 10:03 PM

I'm assuming lights are coming on BESIDES just those that are remote-operated?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lights turning on by themselves [ 25 Answers ]

Last night a light turned on downstairs by itself. How can this happen? It was very scary and spooky. Nobody was down there and it was definitely turned off when we went to bed. About 2 am it suddenly came on. SHould I be worried? What could have caused this? The light is an electric light...

Ceiling fans and lights turning on by themselves [ 1 Answers ]

I have ceiling fans (with lights) in bedrooms and familyroom. They are controlled by switch w/battery. The fans and/or lights started coming on by themselves. Thought might be battery. Replaced batteries. Still have problem. Took batteries out of switch and the fans and/or lights still come...

Turning on lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a chrsyler pacifica 2005 don't know how the head lights work please help

View more questions Search