Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2009, 05:20 AM
    Order of installation for flooring
    I will be installing both tile and carpet in my basement. Which should I install first? I'm primarily asking to determine what makes it easier in terms of transition between the two floors, i.e the doorway between the kitchen area and the den...
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jul 23, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Install the tile first for the sake of the mess you could make on the carpet if done in the reverse order. Schluter makes an edge profile for tile to carpet called "Reno TK" which gets installed with the last tile at the doorway giving the tile edge protection and a spot to tuck the cut edge of the carpet.

Schluter-RENO-TK - Schluter-Systems

If you use that, it needs to be done when you set the tile. Three other options include Z bars, the normal metal strips you often see... for those, you would place the strip on the slab, mark the nail locations, drill 1/4" holes into the slab, insert oak plugs and nail into that or, and I use this option pretty often...

Home centers sell oak seam binders with a bevel on both sides and predrilled countersink screw holes. I run it along my table saw to remove one side of the bevel, stain it and polyurethane it to match the cabinets, set it about 1/8" from the tile edge and mark the screw hole locations. Drill the hole in the slab and insert plastic sleeves and then screw the transition into the plastic sleeves. The sleeves are not anchors like you would normally see. It's more like a tubular fan folded plastic sleeve where the entire thing expands evenly around the hole, unlike regular anchors which expand outward in a "v" shape. The gap between the tile and the oak transition gets filled with a caulk that is color and texture matched to the gout. It also goes over and hides and protects from fraying, the cut edge or the carpet

Does this slab have any cracks, paint, sealers, old adhesive residue, does it absorb water?
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2009, 07:46 AM

The slab is in great shape, no cracks, no paint or sealers, it has not had any treatment, it does have expansion joints cut in it.

I did test the moisture content by taping a piece of plastic to the floor and leaving it for three days. No condensation at all on the plastic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring transition to raised vinyl flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Installer put new 1/4' subfloor in bathroom last year when installing new Tarkett (vinyl) flooring, with a metal strip transition to existing hall carpet. Now we are installing 12mm laminate in hall, which with underlay, is approximately the same height. However, when the metal strip was removed,...

Removing flooring glue from hard wood installation [ 6 Answers ]

We just installed new hardwood flooring. We have used two different types of flooring adhesive. The first was the only one sold at Lowe's and comes up from the flooring where it has been spread easily, add water and the swipe of a cloth. The other adhesive was purchased when we ran out of the...

New Installation in Attic- Venting and Order [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting in a new bathroom in the attic... I have extended an main drain from the basement to about 3 feet from the attic floor. Ceiling is ripped out on floor below. What is the protocol for order of fixtures going into the main drain and where the vents should be. Or what vents are required....

View more questions Search