Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caz1961 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2009, 02:37 AM
    Old piano song from late 60s early 70s
    When I was at school the piano teacher used to play a song with the words

Footsteps on the landing, creeping to and fro, who is out there prowling, I should like to know, not that I am frightened, frightened of the dark, because Rover sleeps beside me, and he
    'll know when to bark! She used to try and frighten us and there was a second verse that she would never let us see. Don't know why. But I would really like to know what the second verse was. Can't find a trace of it anywhere despite searching. Is there anyone out there that either knows it or has heard of it. Its driving me mad!
    Janet1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 01:44 PM

Hello Caz1961.

I can remember singing this song in when the infants. Although I could only remember the words 'footsteps on the landing' and 'he'll know when to bark'. And none of my mates I went through school with could recall it at all.

For ages now me and a friend have scoured the web, even looking for old teachers that might be able to help - to no avail. It was my friend who found this post of yours.

Sorry, I can't remember the second verse. But thank you for posting the first. I'm glad to know I wasn't imagining it!

Janet 1960.
    rick1958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 11:52 AM
    Hi Caz,

I know this reply is a long time after your first request for info but I just found it on Google. I remember this song from music classes in the late 60s early 70s. In my opinion it was a dreadful thing to make kids sing along to, it scared the living daylights out of most of us. As I recall, it was sung like a durge, very slow, dramatic and lingered on note for every line. Unfortunately, I can only remember more or less the same words as yourself. I do see one of our old teachers about in town sometimes so next time I'll stop and ask. Worth a try.

Best Regards

rick1958
    caz1961 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Apr 2, 2012, 01:43 AM
    Hi rick1958

Yes it was like a dirge and scary I've remembered it all my life especially when the teacher banged her hands down on multiple keys at the end of the verse to create extra impact! Be great if your old teacher remembers something as no luck with the problem yet. I remember seeing a second verse but the teacher would never let us read it. Would love to know what it is. 'The truth is out there somewhere'! Many thks for your help

caz1961
    Janet1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2021, 12:37 PM
    Well, it took up till yesterday but finally...the second verse -

Even when the thunder and the noisy rain
    Rattle at the window and beat upon the pane
    I am never frightened frightened of the dark
    For Rover is beside me
    And he'll know when to bark!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for an instrumental song, late 1990's or early 2000's [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for an instrumental song from the late 1990's or early 2000's with an uptempo but calm beat. Has some kind of flute or sax and the break goes da, da... dada. I hear it on the radio station all the time. Ill try to think of more info - sorry so little.

Looking for the name of a late 80s/early 90s dance song [ 2 Answers ]

Seeking the name or artist of a dance song (medium tempo): Partial chorus (to the best of my recollection): "Move it on the left, now move it on to the right, now move it on. Move it on." The "move it on" portion at the end is almost a spoken portion... Can anyone help?

A late 80s or early 90s song [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I've been killing my brain lately to remember a song that I used to watch on TV when I was a kid. This was in the early 90s but the song might be a bit older. The song was love related if I remember correctly and close to a rock ballad style-wise. It was sung by a blonde girl with a...

Unknown song from late 80's or early 90's [ 2 Answers ]

Well, my math teacher usually plays this one recording of older music... I don't know what the name of the song is, or the artist. Ha well I don't even really remember the name of the song. What did make an impression on me is that Robin Williams makes an appearance on the video, It was on VH1 and...

View more questions Search