Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 08:54 AM
    How to Easily Change All Transmission Fluid and Filter
    Example: Total Fill (13 quarts) - Initial Fill (7 quarts) = Balance (6 quarts)

1. Disconnect transmission return cooler line, at the radiator. Look for a 6 inch length of 5/16” I.D. neoprene hose, connecting the radiator (transmission cooler) to the transmission's metal return line. Place end of hose into an empty gallon jug.

2. Start engine and pump transmission fluid into jug, until you can hear it “slurp” in the transmission pan—the pan should now be empty. Turn engine off.

3. Drop and clean pan with brake cleaner. Remove and clean magnet, being sure to reinstall it in the same location.

4. Remove and replace transmission filter, coating the O-ring with ATF.

5. Replace pan. If gasket is the reusable type, reuse it.

6. Add Initial Fill of ATF through the filler tube (7 quarts).

7. Start engine and pump out half of Balance (3 quarts of ATF). Stop engine and add 3 more quarts of ATF.

8. Start engine and pump out the other half of Balance (3 quarts of ATF). Stop engine and add 3 quarts of ATF. The system should now have the Total Fill of ATF (13 quarts).

9. Replace dip stick, start engine, and, with the car level, move the gear selector through each gear (PRNDL), pausing 5 seconds in each gear. Warm car up to normal operating temperature, place car in (P)ark on a level surface, and check the dip stick with the engine running. Ensure fluid comes to the top of the “Full” line.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to change the transmission fluid for honda civic 2001 or not [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a Honda Civic 2001 and if you search online this car has too many problems with transmission. Luckily my car is working just perfect. It has 108663 miles on it. I don't remember ever some one changed its transmission fluid. I checked it was OK and was dark brown. I asked the Honda tek...

Transmission fluid change (or not) [ 3 Answers ]

I have an '09 Accord and have posted here about the oil but here's a tranny fluid question. Is it worth changing it out right now, new with only 2,000 miles on it for synthetic fluid? I do hope to keep this car a long time. Guess I have a few questions: - Do it now or just wait till the...

Transmission service, fluid and filter 06 taurus [ 1 Answers ]

How to change fluid and filter on tranny on 06 taurus automatic, front wheel drive

1991 Honda Civil transmission fluid change [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a 1991 Honda with 114,000. Transmission shifts hard. Had fluid changed at Aamco and they put in Lubegard. Can this damage transmission?

Transmission fluid [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of fluid do I put in the transmission of a 94 honda civic 5 speed manual?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.