Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macbigmama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Landlord responsibilities
    :confused: my landlord always wants the rent but fails to repair anything... the air conditioner blew up... the cabitents are falling apart... door frame was busted when I rented and he has failed to fix anything... can I hold his rent till damages that was there prior to me moving in has not been fixed... also two of the eyes on the stove don't work... he says he has no money to fix anything and is trying to sale the units... my neerighbor water has leaked for a year now ahnd her floor is rotted in bathroom and he don't fix that... so what can we do
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 11:51 AM
    What state do you live in??

Oct 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
    I live in Tennessee... sorry should have said that... there is no lease or contracts... all verebal...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Ok, unless you are one of my tennants ( sort of sounds like one of my rentals)

Normally the rent would have to be put into an escrow account pending him fixing things, And have him legally served with notice to repair those parts of the house that is his legal responsiblitiy
    But remember also you don't get a 600 dollar a month rental for 200 dollars a month, that is something I remind my tennants when they move in to my rentals, If they want a place that is really nice, then move into somewhere really nice and pay that rental fee. That does not mean he does not have to fix some things, but a lot may depend also on what your agreement was when you first rented from them.

There are some items that may or may not be included in a rental agreement, for example I furnish no air conditioning in any of my rentals, If I have some working window units they are free to use them but I am not responsible for fixing them if they break. If in the rental contract he is to supply a stove, he would have to keep it in working order.

Oct 18, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Well the air conditioning is included... when he failed to fix mine... I bought my own... my son and I have a breathing condition... and he knew that... he says he can't fix nothing because he has no money to fix it... I think he might just be a con artist...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:30 AM
    {{Sorry, I posted this to your duplicate thread but did not see this one with these other answers... which are all good! :) }}

You probably can NOT withhold rent due to the landlord not making repairs.

See here.

If you have trouble finding the right info in your state law link, let us know and we'll try to help further.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macbigmama
    :.door frame was busted when i rented and he has failed to fix anything.

so what can we do
    Hello mac:

Yes, there are a jillion things you could have done, the first being DON'T MOVE IN! The clues were there. The best advice I can give you NOW, is move.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Sounds like this landlord is a slumlord. The only thing I can suggest is to find an agency in your city or county that deals with housing. Go to them and find out what you can do. You don't say whether this is an apartment building or what, but you need to get all the tenants involved.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 19, 2006, 08:31 AM
    MOVE * unless you can PROVE that you did not do the damage you mention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult children sharing home w/mom but not responsibilities [ 6 Answers ]

But not sharing the housekeeping responsibilities~!~? (to say “taking advantage of” is an understatement) I moved back home about 2 years ago. My older sister (43 to my 42), about 2 years earlier. She occupies two rooms to my one. We both work full-time as does my mother. My hope (when I...

Florida Landlord Building Code Responsibilities [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter recently signed a lease for her first apartment. The lease states that the apartment will be accepted "as is". However, I feel there is a building code problem. The apartment is on the second floor, and there is a small deck/balcony - wood constructed. The deck suffers from major...

Am I a Landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

I invited my 25 year old daughter and her small children to come to my house and live after they were homeless in Florida in the fall of 2004. They arrived in March of 2005. Since moving in she and her small children have ruined my carpet, walls and one toilet. They are slobs and she hasn't...

Ethical and Legal responsibilities: financial [ 0 Answers ]

Hey I have been given this question to answer can anyone help me Explain the ethical and legal responsibilities that a company should comply with in the preparation of financial reports. Why is it important that a company comply with theses responsibilities?

View more questions Search