Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dschlei Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Oct 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Hurt in a Restaurant
    Last Sunday I had dinner in a rather expensive restaurant. We had some of their very crusty bread, and I had finally one end piece of the bread and while biting into it I felt a sharp pain that went away shortly thereafter. The next morning I had really bad pain in my mouth and went to the dentist and was diagnosed with a tooth that was broken off just above the root. I will need oral surgery with root extraction, an implant, bone graft and finally a crown to restore the appearance of my mouth. I have to wait for two weeks to get into the surgeon for the procedure, and during that time and for some time after the surgery I have to take rather strong pain killers. For about the same time (now and after the surgery) I have to live on liquids only (the broken tooth is a front incisor). The insurance of the restaurant seems to be willing to pay for the medical cost (at least they have not rejected my claims).

Would it be advisable and feasible to also ask for some compensation for my pain and suffering? What would be a reasonable amount for this? Furthermore, would it be advisable to see an attorney at this time?

I appreciate any qualified advise on this subject.
    wolfboy Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2006, 03:43 AM
    There is no harm in trying if you are truly justified.
    Was is the worst they can do say no
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Hello ds:

It sounds as though you're in the middle of negotiations. If they turn down your claim, get back to us.

However, if they honor your claim, then take the money and run. If I was a lawyer (I'm not) and represented them, (I don't), I would tell them, that since she didn't complain WHILE on the premises, there is no proof that it happened in YOUR restaurant, and you should NOT pay her a nickel.

excon

Oct 30, 2006, 01:15 PM
    I was just informed by the insurance carrier to send in my medical bills and they will pay them.
    steveinpa Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 31, 2006, 11:56 PM
    Do not confuse first party claims and third party claims. Most business insurance policies include a nominal amount ($1,000, 2,500, or 5,000, maybe more) of first party "medical payments" coverage. This coverage will provide payment of medical bills for any patron hurt on the premises. To some extent, they accept your word that you got hurt on the premises. They look to the recorded "history of illness" in the medical charts to cross-check. There is no need to show negligence on the restaurant's part. If you want to be paid for pain and suffering, then you will need to present a third-party claim, where you will need to show negligence. The mere happening of an injury is usually not sufficient. You should talk to a local lawyer, and at least learn the amount of time you have before any potential third-party claim will expire. The amount of time (called statute of limitations) varies from state to state. Some states allow 1 year, others 2 or 4 years. You must settle your case or file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, or your claim will be forever barred. Good luck.

Nov 1, 2006, 07:07 AM
    I contacted a lawyer on this and was advised that I have basically chance to prove that the restaurant was negligent. If there would have been some foreign objects in the bread, or if the bread was otherwise out of the normal condition they serve, I would have a chance. My case seemed to have just been a freak accident, and was not because the restaurant was negligent.

The restaurant management and the insurance carrier personnel were very cooperative and concerned about my condition and did the outmost to help me to arrange the coverage of my medical costs.

Because of the little chance to receive a positive judgment for pain and suffering, and the good cooperation of all involved, I will not pursue any further claims.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 08:20 PM
    You can ask. Getting it is another matter. Actually, it's surprising that the restaurant is even willing to pay your medical expenses since it's pretty hard to prove a broken tooth is due to a piece of bread. Chewing the hard, crusty bread may be what first brought on the pain but I would think they'd argue that it was a pre-existing condition. Remember, you have to prove by at least a preponderance of the evidence that the bread was responsible for breaking your tooth. Normal, healthy teeth don't break just from chewing on some bread crust. Sorry, I don't mean to play devil's advocate here but I think you're looking at a pretty tough fight to get anything above and beyond what the restaurant concedes of their own accord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why wouldn't it hurt? [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are waiting to have sex of any kind (oral, etc) till we get married. In the past, guys I have been with would get turned on and they would claim to hurt, because they couldn't "relieve" the hardness. I asked my current boyfriend, if he hurt, when this occurred. He said no. Is...

How can it still hurt so much? [ 19 Answers ]

Hey everyone I'm sure by now most people know my situation but a quick refresher is that my boyfriend dumped me after 2 years together... its been almost three months now. I asked a question a couple weeks ago about doing a last grand gesture- declare my love and see if it really was over for...

I'm so hurt [ 12 Answers ]

What should I do in 15 and my boyfriend is 16 we have been together 2 mounths and now he is acting extreamily difficult we are just leaving school and he won't get a job he won't let me hang aroung with boys and he always turns his phone off last night he told me on the phone that he just wonts to...

Renaming a family restaurant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a restaurant client who has had their family restaurant name for 31 years. It was changed slightly from decade to decade; however, their last name has always been in it. They are unfortunately known as the "place where old people eat". Even though their following is largely older adults from...

Restaurant Name [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to open a take-out/delivery type of steakhouse and I've come up with the name Bully's. And have a bull as the logo that looks like a bully. But someone told me that that sends the wrong message,can anyone please help. I would really appreciate as many replies to this as possible as like a...

View more questions Search